Midwest Meet Spring 2019 ***UPDATED***

lksohm

I'd love to see one in person before I build mine. I do get to KC once or twice a year.
-Luke

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Hey Chad,

Looks like there's some interest, anything thoughts on getting some dates on the calendar?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Hey Chad,

Looks like there's some interest, anything thoughts on getting some dates on the calendar?

I was thing that I need to get going on this, especially now that I know that we will be attending with the new build.

April seems to be a good time frame for weather, maybe late April. I would like to see What Kaleb’s class schedule is to make sure he can join in.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I have road my Yamaha R6 on a lot of these twisty, low traffic, Ozark roads. Many smiles to the miles. Spring will probably be before my kit is running, but I can always ride the R6 with y'all. I would like my kit running by July... but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

Hey everyone, I was reading through this thread and I actually have a cool option for a meet. I work for a company in Chicago called "OEM PARTS DEPOT," which has the same owner as what is formerly Crate Engine Depot. Every year we have a meet in Illinois which includes auto cross on Saturdays and track time on Sunday at Great Lakes Dragaway. This is a meet that is specifically for Ecotec platform vehicles. There's no charge to come out unless you participate in events. I come in from Maryland and many others come in from out of state as well. It's a fantastic weekend with cruises, photo op, and lots of fun stuff. Over the Top Performance, ZZP, B3 Drivetrains, Category V Portworx and a few other businesses that gear specifically toward the Ecotec engine platform, all come out to hang with us. We would be thrilled to include the Goblin community! If this sounds good, I'll definitely keep details posted as they progress.

jpr

That could be fun too! Probably deserving of its own thread though.

eta: crud, now I have to get my rear in gear and finish this thing...

That could be fun too! Probably deserving of its own thread though.

eta: crud, now I have to get my rear in gear and finish this thing...
Yeah, I probably will post it up when we solidify the dates. We usually wait on the Auto Cross club to verify their date before we announce it.

Reactions: jpr

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
PLANNING HAS BEGUN!!!

First of all, I am not by nature a big planner, so I hope this at least comes across as a decent plan. I have been in contact with friends that join the S2000 Boston Mountain Tour every year and loves it. I don't have their actual tour but much of this will be derived from it. I have not visited this area and if you have and know it well, I welcome your advice. After joining the guys with the Lotus 7 club last year not far from this area, I'm also taking some clues as to how they did their tour.

The dates will be: May 17th, 18th, and 19th. That's a Friday through Sunday. You do not have to participate the entire time, join whatever you can or want to. Friday will be the day to travel to Russellville, Arkansas. We will stay at the Clarion Inn and Suites just off of I-40. I have not contacted them on a special rate, but their normal rate it $75 per night, which seems very reasonable for this hotel.

We will check in on Friday and meet up. Around 6:00-7:00 P.M. we will eat at a local destination to be determined. Russellville is a pretty good size town and we should find plenty of places for any type of tools, supplies, amenities, etc.

Clarion Inn.JPG

On Saturday the 18th, we will gather at the hotel and leave around 9:30 A.M. for the first leg of the tour. We will take Hwy 27 and 7 up through the Ozark National Forest to the Cliff House Inn for lunch. If it is a sprinted drive, the trip won't take two hours, however I forsee us stopping along the way for some of the sites to make up for it.

Sat Morning.JPG

This is the Cliff Side Inn.

Cliff Side Inn.JPG
Cliff Side Inn1.JPG

After lunch, we will continue North for just a few miles to capture the sights of the Arkansas Grand Canyon before returning South back through the Forest.

Arkansas Grand Canyon

Ark Grand Canyon.JPG

Saturday afternoon we will travel along Hwy 16 and 21 back through the Ozark National Forest. We will not take I-40 as shown but side roads unless you just want to open it up!

Sat Afternoon.JPG

Saturday evening we again will eat in Russellville at yet another to be determined restaurant. This is something that we all can come to an agreement upon.

Sunday to follow on the next post.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Sunday

Sunday will be somewhat of a shorter day so we have time to get back and pack up for home. Again we will meet up around 9:30 A.M. and head out into the Ozark National Forest but a slightly different trip and more to the West. This looks to be a great drive and there are a few good stops along the way.

Sun Morning.JPG

Around West Cobb, there is the Pig Trail Scenic Overlook.

Pig Trail Scenic Overlook
Pig Trail Senic Overlook.JPG

We will stop briefly before continuing on to the town or Ozark for lunch at the Rivertown BBQ.

Rivertown BBQ.JPG

The trip back to the hotel should be fairly quick through some off-interstate roads and even faster if you wish to hit the Interstate.

Sun Afternoon.JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I hope many of you are on the road if you are not already by then. This will give you something to shoot for. This should be a great drive through some very beautiful country. I would love to see some of the other builds up close and talk about our experiences. Others are invited also even if they don't have a Goblin, however this is intended for Goblin owners/builder.

If you are interested, please PM with:

1. Full name
  2. Screen name
  3. Cell phone number (for communication during)
  4. Number of people
  5. Dates if not all.
I will add you to the list below upon confirmation. I ask that if you confirm, please try to attend if at all possible. I will be making reservations and many other things along the way and the number of people will have an effect. If you cannot confirm, that's fine, just let me know, you can still join in if you can.

I am willing to make some changes if someone much wiser than me has good reason for me to do so, but as we get closer to the date, very little will change if at all possible so as not to impact you.

Let's get together and have a great trip!!!

1. Chad Tuinstra (ctuinstra)
  2. Kaleb Tuinstra
  3. Brad Schaffner (George)
  4. Ross Lawrence (Ross)
    1. Guest (possible)

Last edited:

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Not going to commit yet as my build isn't even close to being done or even started, but this gives me something to shoot for. Will update with info if I see Ill be able to make it.

Did a weekend a few years back at Mountain Home (push Mountain etc) on bikes, good roads. Enjoyed it more than the Dragon.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Not going to commit yet as my build isn't even close to being done or even started, but this gives me something to shoot for. Will update with info if I see Ill be able to make it.

Did a weekend a few years back at Mountain Home (push Mountain etc) on bikes, good roads. Enjoyed it more than the Dragon.
We did that last year with the Lotus 7 club. This is very much the same I'm sure.

jpr

In the same spot as DCMoney. This would be epic and it definitely gives me something to shoot for.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I know you mentioned Kaleb is coming so I'm assuming this will be a family friendly event? For me personally teen friendly.