Minnesota Registration

northvibe

This will be interesting once people are getting their kits made, titled and licensed. I'm wanting to hear peoples experience and how they went about it with their DMV. Some states require inspection after the kit is complete too.

What I know.
Keep receipts for everything to make the kit happen
Need the paperwork from DF
Need title from Donor. What about VIN? not sure how that transfers.
Speak with your local DMV about kit cars and how they go about it. I know in MN they get titled as remade/rebuilt no matter the condition.

MN
document for kit
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/Documents/MV_DeclarationofReconstruction_SpecialAssembly.pdf

northvibe

Re: Post experience in Title and licensing of kit car in your state

Adam said:
We can only vouch for Texas but we got P1 registered with no problems. We are going to get P2 and another car registered soon. I'll document the process so other Texas residents can follow in our footsteps.
Awesome! Thank you.

Jungle Gym

You won't be able to register it anywhere as a Cobalt because it is not a Cobalt. It's not of the same design, it doesn't meet the same EPA and NHTSA requirements, nor was it manufactured by Chevrolet. Furthermore, you can't attach the Cobalt VIN to it because the VIN is attached to the frame/body/main structure of the car, not the engine. DF will provide you with an MSO, which you will take to the DMV along with all other supporting documentation, and the DMV will assign you a VIN. Some states may request DF to supply a VIN, but I'm not sure how that'll work.

In summary, it is no more a Cobalt due to its driveline than this is a Corvette:

Gage

Jungle Gym said:
You won't be able to register it anywhere as a Cobalt because it is not a Cobalt. It's not of the same design, it doesn't meet the same EPA and NHTSA requirements, nor was it manufactured by Chevrolet. Furthermore, you can't attach the Cobalt VIN to it because the VIN is attached to the frame/body/main structure of the car, not the engine. DF will provide you with an MSO, which you will take to the DMV along with all other supporting documentation, and the DMV will assign you a VIN. Some states may request DF to supply a VIN, but I'm not sure how that'll work.

In summary, it is no more a Cobalt due to its driveline than this is a Corvette:
Good points above. And Minnesota may be exactly as stated above.

However, there are states that will still allow the car to be registered as a "modified" or "kit car" vehicle based on a known chassis, like a Miata or in this case a Cobalt. The new title will even list Miata or Cobalt on it. If you can provide the orginal VIN and demonstrate that you used the entire drive line, it can make registration much easier. It just depends on which state you live in, and how strict they are about such things.

There are also some loopholes that involve getting an LLC in Montana, that allow the car to be registered in another state and driven in your home state.

northvibe

Gage said:
Jungle Gym said:

Good points above. And Minnesota may be exactly as stated above.

However, there are states that will still allow the car to be registered as a "modified" or "kit car" vehicle based on a known chassis, like a Miata or in this case a Cobalt. The new title will even list Miata or Cobalt on it. If you can provide the orginal VIN and demonstrate that you used the entire drive line, it can make registration much easier. It just depends on which state you live in, and how strict they are about such things.

There are also some loopholes that involve getting an LLC in Montana, that allow the car to be registered in another state and driven in your home state.
Yes. That is how a lot of rat rods get registered with totally different bodies etc. He builds hot rods so he was saying to at least ask the MN DMV. Otherwise you have to pay tax again at registration on all the parts.

Jungle Gym

Gage said:

The major hurdle I see with it being based on the Cobalt is that a Cobalt is FWD. Kits that are based on other cars in the sense that they use the entire driveline and suspension in the original configuration intended by the manufacturer can sometimes be registered as the original car, but still fail to meet the NHTSA standards of the original car, and that may be enough to classify it as a kit car in some states. Kits like the DF Goblin, Factory Five 818 and GTM, and other cars that use existing driveline and suspension components in configurations not intended by the original manufacturers are not based on anything other than the kit car designers ideas.

To be entirely honest, I think the bigger issue is insurance... has anyone talked to their insurance provider about covering a Goblin? ;)

Jungle Gym

Something else to consider is that if it's registered as a Cobalt, it will need to have the same safety features federally mandated in all production cars like ABS, TPMS, traction control, airbags, ect ect ect...

northvibe

Jungle Gym said:
Something else to consider is that if it's registered as a Cobalt, it will need to have the same safety features federally mandated in all production cars like ABS, TPMS, traction control, airbags, ect ect ect...
Just say no to nannies!! ;) Yeah, not sure if this will work. But a good question to ask the state's DMV

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
In our experience, calling it a Cobalt is not the way to go. As Jungle Gym mentioned, you will probably have to meet stricter standards. In most cases, your best bet is to use the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (which we supply) to apply for a title in your state. Some states will use the serial number we put on the MCO (DFGOB#####) and in others they will supply you with a VIN and a VIN plate to attach to your car. I'm hoping that here on the forums we can work together to get each state figured out as we go.

We have insurance through Progressive.

RichN

Jungle Gym said:
To be entirely honest, I think the bigger issue is insurance... has anyone talked to their insurance provider about covering a Goblin? ;)
Yes, I have. It will be registered in New Hampshire as a kit car. I have AAA for insurance. It will be just like my motorcycle; underwritten by Progressive.

rallyracer

I talked to a guy who just registered his Miata Exomotive Exocet kit car in MN. So he has first hand info on this process.

"It's surprisingly easy to register a kit car in Minnesota. Just gotta fork up some money. If you're persistent, you can do it without paying a shitload, but the value of my time versus what I might have saved kind of played a big part there.

It's registered as a twenty15 Exomotive Exocet, valued at $11,499 (so tabs are super cheap). You have to fill out a form to register a new car, which BARELY applies to kit cars but it's touted as a "generic purpose form" so whatever. There's another form you need to fill out that says where everything is from, which is for "reconstructed vehicles", which this technically falls under.

You go to the DMV, bring the two forms and all pieces of proof that you own all the bits just in case they ask (they don't need to know), and any receipts if you have them for proving the price/value of the vehicle and that you did indeed pay tax on them.

I ended up paying tax on the kit itself since I bought it out of state, but I didn't pay tax on the donor vehicle like they wanted me to. I had to explain to the guy that by holding the title to the donor car in my hand that I have already paid taxes on it.

When it came time to value the car he asked what it was worth, so I said "well you can get the kit for 7999 and a Miata like the one I used is on average $3500", so he wrote in 11499. Major win for me, there.

That's it though, you give them paperwork, you cut a check, they hand you a license plate. Boom, your car is legal.

6-8 weeks later supposedly the state will mail you asking you to go get an inspection. It's not for safety though, it's to make sure nothing is stolen.

This is where that second form and all the receipts are needed (keep the originals). The major parts are engine, transmission, "frame", body, roof, doors, and some other things. Most of that form was blank for me given what the car is.

I haven't received that letter yet, but I've only been registered for 6ish weeks. My check was cashed a week and a half ago, so I assume they accepted the paperwork.

Insurance is the next battle. I have it insured as a 7500 mile/year static value kit car for $30/mo.

Then to actually drive it on the roads you need a few things. Headlights, tail lights, stop lights, running lights front and rear, turn signals front and rear, a legal exhaust system (see the law about loud mufflers), and fenders.

Windshields are optional in MN. Supposedly if you have a windshield you HAVE to have a windshield wiper, but it can literally be a squeegee on a stick tied to your dash that you pick up and clean the windshield with.

Fenders are a big grey area, the law states a "best effort for installation of fenders" must be made. I read that and think that "I tried, I can't fit them!" is a legit enough response to it.
(get fenders though, sticky tires throw rocks straight up in the air at low speeds)

I don't have front turn signals yet, and hand signals are technically insufficient since I have a chassis and the chassis "can obstruct hand signals". That said, I've turned or otherwise have driven by dozens of police officers and only two or three of them actually spent any amount of time checking me out."

northvibe

I'm glad he responded! Great news and the couple extra bucks to register/title/tax will be well worth it when it is on the street :)

Nilbog

Planning to head to the DMV next week to start the registration process on the gob. I will reply on here as my journey progresses.... looks like i may be the first in MN to register a gob.

Nilbog

Street legal. That was too easy. Plates in hand. State will be contacting me to get the inspection but I just spoke with my inspector. Vin confirmation is all.

Filled out app for registration/title and special assembly form. Provided copy of DFgoblin invoice and the MCO.

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Street legal. That was too easy. Plates in hand. State will be contacting me to get the inspection but I just spoke with my inspector. Vin confirmation is all.

Filled out app for registration/title and special assembly form. Provided copy of DFgoblin invoice and the MCO.
Jealous!!! I only wish PA would be half that easy.