Minnesota Registration

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So he said title it in MN and then transfer to any other state. Would this help those that have really strong regulations,such as those in PA? Go to a neighboring state for the initial title?

jpr

Yeah, that part struck me as a little dubious. I suspect it might work in some places, might not work so well in places that have annual inspections.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
So he said title it in MN and then transfer to any other state. Would this help those that have really strong regulations,such as those in PA? Go to a neighboring state for the initial title?
I still think that it will have to go through the PA enhanced initial inspection. So that wont help much. However I may have to rent an apartment in MN soon LOL.

jpr

This was my backup plan. They will even do brand new registrations. Their vehicle "inspection" is a form you put a few check marks on saying that it has all of the basic safety features such as headlights, seatbelts, etc. I think some members here went this route.

https://www.49dollarmontanaregisteredagent.com/
I'd been thinking about the "Montana Plan" if MN turned out to be onerous. I've heard some states are starting to crack down on that scheme though - Georgia in particular. And I figure I'm probably gonna get pulled over often enough just on account of how the thing looks.

jpr

Having just gone through the registration process, it's really pretty painless! The kit serial ended up being my VIN, which also worked for insurance (Progressive for now, ~$400/yr for $10k declared value with $2k deductible, collision, and comprehensive. I'm shopping around though.)

Two top tips:
1) If you want custom plates, they're easy to get. They actually asked me if I wanted them, which I did - I was just planning on waiting a while before adding that layer of complication. It's a $100 one-time charge, they take like 2-3 months to ship, but then you renew them at the same rate as everyone else.
2) Most importantly, if they get errors entering your expenditures off of the receipts, ask them to enter the numbers in whole dollar amounts, e.g. "651" rather than "651.50". Stupid bug in their software as of this writing, but it ended up making me do another trip to the office. It's beyond me why their code can't just take care of the rounding silently, or format user input, or or or... but that's the way it is.

KD0AXS

Just thought I'd chime in here since I just registered my Goblin in MN. The lady that helped me at the DMV wasn't really familiar with registering a kit car, but she just called down to the main office in St Paul and they guided her through the process.

First, you'll need this form. Best to print it out and bring it with you so they don't have to go looking for the right form at the DMV.

You'll also need the Certificate of Origin from DF, your invoice from DF, and the title to your donor. They'll have you fill out the above form, and an application for title. Then for the painful part, you have to pay sales tax on the value of the Goblin, tabs and all the other fees they charge when transferring a vehicle. Mine came to just over $1000. Then you walk out with your license plates in hand. I guess they send you a letter to schedule an inspection, but they said it's legal to drive in the meantime.

jpr

I guess they send you a letter to schedule an inspection, but they said it's legal to drive in the meantime.
Just be careful where you get this done. Some places think they need to enforce lots of rules about windshields, wipers, genders, bumpers etc. but the inspection is only to ensure the constituent parts are not stolen.

KD0AXS

Just be careful where you get this done. Some places think they need to enforce lots of rules about windshields, wipers, genders, bumpers etc. but the inspection is only to ensure the constituent parts are not stolen.
Which location did you go to? Looking at the list of locations, I'll probably end up going either to St Paul or St Cloud. Both are about the same distance from me.

jpr

Which location did you go to? Looking at the list of locations, I'll probably end up going either to St Paul or St Cloud. Both are about the same distance from me.
None yet, thus no title. I was gonna go to Faribault and then it was way too cold day-of.

Do not do St. Paul. Had a friend go there with his Exocet and it took a year of going through the wringer.

GPfan

St. Paul is like the official state-run office, from what I understand. All the other DVS stations are run by contractors. Hence those pesky fees.

I also thought the process was easy enough just from me Googling into their website and investing about 10 minutes of reading.

If I get a Goblin, I think I'll simply register it here and call it even. I'll probably even get a personalized plate. That would be the hardest part. :D

jpr

All the other DVS stations are run by contractors. Hence those pesky fees.
Fees were minimal to nonexistent. Wouldn't worry about those.

I also thought the process was easy enough just from me Googling into their website and investing about 10 minutes of reading.
On paper, sure. Getting your plates is very easy in practice too. Hand over a pile of paperwork and your money, and you walk out with plates or temp tags for your custom plate. Not difficult. The difficult part is the title, for which you need an inspection, and the quality of inspector varies wildly. Based on the experiences I've heard in the MN kit car community, you would be very lucky to walk out of the St. Paul inspection with a title. I would suggest driving elsewhere for your inspection.

So, do what you like, but don't come crying back here and say you weren't warned about St. Paul.

KingChuck24

I know this is an old thread but thought I would just ask before heading to the DMV. So when I go to register from my understanding I will need:

Title of Donor
Kit Car Form
DF Certificate of Origin
DF Invoice
Money for Tax (do they take credit card?)

I don't need to bring the car correct? I know they will schedule a date of inspection but can that date be moved incase of the car not being complete, if not I will probably need to wait until it is almost done.'

KD0AXS

I know this is an old thread but thought I would just ask before heading to the DMV. So when I go to register from my understanding I will need:

Title of Donor
Kit Car Form
DF Certificate of Origin
DF Invoice
Money for Tax (do they take credit card?)

I don't need to bring the car correct? I know they will schedule a date of inspection but can that date be moved incase of the car not being complete, if not I will probably need to wait until it is almost done.'
Yeah that's about it I think. Some DMVs do take cards, some are cash or check only. The ones that do take cards will charge an extra fee though.

As far as the taxes go, you pay tax on the value of the completed car, not just the price of the kit. My trip to the DMV cost about $1000. If you went to DF and picked up your kit, you would have paid Texas sales tax so that amount will be deducted from what you owe in MN tax.

KingChuck24

Yeah that's about it I think. Some DMVs do take cards, some are cash or check only. The ones that do take cards will charge an extra fee though.

As far as the taxes go, you pay tax on the value of the completed car, not just the price of the kit. My trip to the DMV cost about $1000. If you went to DF and picked up your kit, you would have paid Texas sales tax so that amount will be deducted from what you owe in MN tax.
Got it, what’s the deal with saying the car is or less value? Did you really give them all the receipts that went into making the car, can I just give them those things and nothing more?

KD0AXS

Got it, what’s the deal with saying the car is or less value? Did you really give them all the receipts that went into making the car, can I just give them those things and nothing more?
No, you don't really need all the receipts from everything you bought for the car, but you can't just use the price of the kit as the value since obviously a complete car is worth more than a pile of parts. I basically just added a couple grand to the cost of the kit and they were happy with that.