Missouri Registration

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try and get the donor down to the local inspection station and get it over with sooner rather than later.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
To make sure I understand, I need to take my donor to an inspection station and ask for an IDOD inspection, then take the inspection form and the title to the DMV and submit for a junk title. After that, I can start stripping the donor, correct?
Actually I think you need to go to Department of Revenue to apply for the title. I could be wrong, but I did got to DOR to apply for my junk title. You might be able to mail it.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
How did you guys get past the inspections? I’m at the state police station in Carthage and he’s telling me I need bumpers and a catalytic converter and I can’t use the 5 point harnesses...

George

Goblin Guru
When I went for the inspection I has modified the cat and just bolted it to the manifold. The did not say any thing about bumpers, can you post a copy of your form your application may be you checked the wrong box. My inspection station did not question my seat belt chose.

Brad

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
How did you guys get past the inspections? I’m at the state police station in Carthage and he’s telling me I need bumpers and a catalytic converter and I can’t use the 5 point harnesses...
I wonder if you could have him call the JC office. I heard about the race harness not being allowed as it has not passed the certification. I used the Cobalt to get past the inspection.

You could alway trailer it to JC.

I was under the impression the only place for inspection was in JC.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
He went ahead and processed my form but it’s noted as “not street legal”. He said once I get it to pass a safety inspection, I could get it re-titled, registered, and get tags.

He had a big sign listing all of the requirements and said I once I added proper bumpers, a cat, and installed the cobalt seat belts, it should pass. He did say that my local inspection station could do that inspection.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The thing I’m actually mad about is the fact that their office lied to me. When I made my appointment a few weeks ago, I specifically asked if they would do any safety inspections or if it was strictly a VIN/paperwork check. The person I spoke to assured me multiple times that it was just a check to see if any of the parts were stolen and I would need to visit my local station for an inspection.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm actually back home in Monett now. I wish I had known you were going to be down, we could have met for lunch.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The thing I’m actually mad about is the fact that their office lied to me. When I made my appointment a few weeks ago, I specifically asked if they would do any safety inspections or if it was strictly a VIN/paperwork check. The person I spoke to assured me multiple times that it was just a check to see if any of the parts were stolen and I would need to visit my local station for an inspection.
The DMV doesn’t have to have an MVI. Problem is the employees don’t know that. But the system will allow it to be licensed without one since it is a new vehicle.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The DMV doesn’t have to have an MVI. Problem is the employees don’t know that. But the system will allow it to be licensed without one since it is a new vehicle.
I guess I should have clarified, I called the State Police location in Carthage and talked to one of the folks that handles the vehicle inspections.

George

Goblin Guru
I had carried my first paper work to Jeff city, It is titled as a new car 2018 so it did not need and mvi.

Brad

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I guess I should have clarified, I called the State Police location in Carthage and talked to one of the folks that handles the vehicle inspections.
Understood. I was adding information for later down the road. The only ones that should worry about the safety inspection is the DMV. The State HWY Patrol should only worry about if it was stolen or not. Keep us posted as to what you end up doing.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I've been digging around in MO's website and I think I've found the appropriate statues on the bumpers.

This is the reg on the inspection requirements:
11 CSR 50-2.311 Bumpers PURPOSE: This rule formulates procedures for the inspection of motor vehicle bumpers as required by section 307.172(2), RSMo.

This covers the actual reg's on bumpers:
307.172. Altering passenger motor vehicle by raising front or rear of vehicle prohibited, when — bumpers front and rear required, when, exemptions — violations not to pass inspection — penalty.

As I read this and as I understand the rules on kit cars, I am the manufacturer. According this, bumpers are only required if standard equipment provided by the manufacturer.

2. Every motor vehicle which is licensed in this state and operated upon the public streets or highways of this state shall be equipped with front and rear bumpers if such vehicle was equipped with bumpers as standard equipment

The seat belts are a lost cause. 5 point harnesses don't meet the NHTSA requirements which is required by MO law.

307.178. Seat belts required for passenger cars — passenger cars defined — exceptions — failure to comply, effect on evidence and damages — penalty — passengers in car exceeding number of seat belts not violation for failure to use

2. Each driver, except persons employed by the United States Postal Service while performing duties for that federal agency which require the operator to service postal boxes from their vehicles, or which require frequent entry into and exit from their vehicles, and front seat passenger of a passenger car manufactured after January 1, 1968, operated on a street or highway in this state, and persons less than eighteen years of age operating or riding in a truck, as defined in section 301.010, on a street or highway of this state shall wear a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt that meets federal National Highway, Transportation and Safety Act requirements.

I'm continuing to research the catalytic converter regulations. To be continued...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yep. And agree with what you have so far. I have heard both ways about the cat system. But I doubt you have to have them.

I have a question for in Missouri, what are the exact stipulations to getting something like this road legal? I want to build my own version using a 1500cc V-twin motorcycle engine and only be a one seater. Do you think that will be able to be street legal?