Missouri Registration

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hello All,

The Missouri DMV office at the capital office got back to me, And it looks like as soon as it is driving I can bring it to be inspected. As long as I bring it there without body panels they will register it as a "Highway Dune Buggy"

Which will exempt it from needing windshield wipers and even a windshield if I did not want one. Once things move along a bit further I can get the actual inspection done and I will update as needed.

Nuker-

So here are the steps you need to do.

1: Go to your local DMV and buy the form 551 inspection form $27.50
2: Schedule your Highway Patrol inspection (Must be the Highway Patrol not a normal shop inspection) For me they did not check much of anything except the VIN number on the engine and transmission to match with my donor title.
3: Highway Patrol will give you completed 551 form. Keep this
4: Go to DMV and get an "Application for Missouri Title and License"
5: Bring or Mail application for title all receipts for donor/kit and 551 form to Jefferson City DMV. ( If you go there you can apply for a title and VIN at the same time. If you mail it in you have to wait for the DMV to assign title, Then you can apply for VIN)

** If you drive to Jefferson City and do the paperwork in person bring a check you will pay the applicable taxes at this time.

6: Highway patrol will call you to say VIN plate is ready. (Trailer car back up to HP inspection station for them to permenantly attach the new VIN to the frame)
7: Once VIN is attached you can get plates / insurance and tear up the roads!

Last edited:

Aaronk

So fast question for you once i start and finish mine would i be able to take it to the Lee's Summit HP office off of 291 and 50hy or all the way to Jeff City?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Is far as I know the Lees summit HP inspection station should be just fine. I'm also wondering if we can drive them there per Missouri statute 307.350.1

"2. For the purpose of obtaining an inspection only, it shall be lawful to operate a vehicle over the most direct route between the owner's usual place of residence and an inspection station of such owner's choice, notwithstanding the fact that the vehicle does not have a current state registration license. It shall also be lawful to operate such a vehicle from an inspection station to another place where repairs may be made and to return the vehicle to the inspection station notwithstanding the absence of a current state registration license."

So for this I am not sure, But I will be asking as it will save me a lot of headache trying to find a truck and trailer.

Nuker-

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I have all of my documentation in line as far as I know. My inspection with the highway patrol is on Monday June 26th!

When I went up to make an appointment I asked about a wind shield and the HP officer told me " Your the manufacturer, If you don't want a windshield then you don't have to have one."

So I'm hoping that remains true when the real inspection comes around!

Nuker-

RichN

Good luck on Monday.

I asked about a wind shield and the HP officer told me " Your the manufacturer, If you don't want a windshield then you don't have to have one."
Wow, common sense. That seems to be lacking in my state. Mine wants a defroster; like I'll ever drive it in a blizzard o_O

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Well Inspection has been passed.

Piece of cake. They literally only checked brake lights turn signals and the vin on the engine to match the salvage title.

They were super nice at the Lees Summit HP inspection station. So if any of you guys in Missouri are thinking of building one of these DO IT!

No wind shield , no wipers, no bumpers no care to them!

Nuker-

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Okay, I have updated the first post with the steps to obtain road legalness.

Nuker-
I'm in Missouri and just starting the project. This was one of my biggest concerns and feel much better that it should be to register here without too much trouble. I'm in fact in JC where all the "State" stuff is so hopefully this will be to my advantage.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I'm in Missouri and just starting the project. This was one of my biggest concerns and feel much better that it should be to register here without too much trouble. I'm in fact in JC where all the "State" stuff is so hopefully this will be to my advantage.
Only thing to keep in mind is I think Jefferson county and St. Louis county do require smog testing. So make sure you have a real DOT cat on it.

Nuker-

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I talked with the MSHP today and wanted to add a few things to this. I talked with Bruce Rinkemeyer at (573) 526-6262 option #2. He was very knowledgeable and told me everything I needed to do. This followed Nuker's experience exactly.

The primary question I had was if I needed to title the donor within the typical 30 days. He said that I did not need it titled in my name but did need it transferred properly by the seller on the back of the out of state title. Then I would need to get a I.D.O.D. inspection verification (which is basically a VIN verification), and ANY MVI station can inspect the VIN of the donor and fill out paperwork for $12. Once I have the I.D.O.D paperwork and the title, I can submit for a JUNK title for $2.50. At this point the donor is considered junk and can never be transferred again as is. Then I can begin the process at the top of the thread as Nuker has explained.

I'm sure that Bruce is the one that Nuker dealt with in Jefferson City. The office is just 5 miles from here. He was very knowledgeable about the whole thing he was even quoting the available engines models for the Cobalts.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
One thing I did not make clear is that you have to keep the junk title or at least a copy of it. I surrendered the title the junk yard with the car! Luckily I had a receipt for the application for the junk title and they allowed that. Also make sure you have a Bill of Sale for the donor during the inspection. They may also want receipts for tire, wheels, etc to make sure you didn't steal them. I took a folder and inch thick of all of the paperwork for this car (I kept EVERYTHING!).

At the Department of Revenue, they want a good invoice for the car. The ones that I had were just printed off the webpage and printed over a couple of pages and weren't that good. The later invoices seem to be much better. They need to determine how much you paid DF so they can tax you on the sale price fo the kit.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
To make sure I understand, I need to take my donor to an inspection station and ask for an IDOD inspection, then take the inspection form and the title to the DMV and submit for a junk title. After that, I can start stripping the donor, correct?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
To make sure I understand, I need to take my donor to an inspection station and ask for an IDOD inspection, then take the inspection form and the title to the DMV and submit for a junk title. After that, I can start stripping the donor, correct?
I did do all if that. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP A COPY IF THE TITLE. They gave me hell for not having proof of ownership of the donor. Luckily they accepted the receipt for application of the junk title.

The IDOD gives you proof of the VIN. I would still suggest doing it. At the time of license is not the time to find out you are missing something.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You can strip the donor any time. The inspection station balked at not have the dash for the odometer but the HP called them for me and told them it's not required. In fact an odometer is not required at all by law.