mnKevin (city, extended) 08 SS/TC #172

mnKevin

Hey guys, starting my build log. I live 45 minutes north of Minneapolis MN. I been in the shadows watching and learning from everyone. Finally took the plunge and ordered my kit early September after visiting Red Oak TX. I got my donor spring 2017 it is 08 ss tc with few mods at 24psi. My kit number is 172 City frame extended I picked it up November 9th.
D907F325-0C75-4EFB-8057-94B4BB18CECD.jpeg
FD41E7E1-E009-47E1-8DC0-78408D26656A.jpeg
F4852914-0F38-4A12-B500-F0647D637144.jpeg

mnKevin

Thanks, the frame color is cobalt blue metallic, came out amazing. The powder coater was excited to get on it, had the frame back home in 3 days. The donor parts cleaned up quick with grinder and wire wheel, rust disolver helps for any pitting. I got all parts painted including brake lines.
CD75D4A3-D08C-47ED-830B-43DB167B9F27.jpeg
F7B94106-BD47-4C17-9B93-5E337F4B37C7.jpeg
39F1777F-BAF3-4A2B-AB75-589A696E9C46.jpeg
34F2C4C8-8D6E-4F29-B6B9-A880BC7BB395.jpeg

mnKevin

I spent two nights fighting pulling hoses through the tubes. Tried everything that was posted about it. I made a drill winch like the one DF sells and the hose keeps ripping apart at the ring. I ripped about 2’ of chunks off. So gave up on that and put the frame on saw horses, started assembling the front end. To get the hoses through I put them in a box with a heater for 15 min. Took 3/8” rope doubled it through the tube and zip tied it to the hose spayed the hose in the box with tire wet and pulled the hose through the tube with little effort not even enough force to disturb the frame on sawhorses.
73BE4966-DDBA-4DAA-B29E-48023CEFDEBC.jpeg
73BE4966-DDBA-4DAA-B29E-48023CEFDEBC.jpeg
A50E985E-309C-44B9-911B-7F0049E89D5F.jpeg
2CCFD3F6-F011-4BC4-9E84-B07C276303B4.jpeg

Now it’s time to work on wiring harnesses and cleaning up the engine and I’ll be ready for stage two.
26EC1514-F214-4EBD-99B9-4E8131324A36.jpeg
FCE10C4D-4380-4A72-8E23-7BE6687BEDDF.jpeg

Ross

Goblin Guru
I spent two nights fighting pulling hoses through the tubes. Tried everything that was posted about it. I made a drill winch like the one DF sells and the hose keeps ripping apart at the ring. I ripped about 2’ of chunks off. So gave up on that and put the frame on saw horses, started assembling the front end. To get the hoses through I put them in a box with a heater for 15 min. Took 3/8” rope doubled it through the tube and zip tied it to the hose spayed the hose in the box with tire wet and pulled the hose through the tube with little effort not even enough force to disturb the frame on sawhorses.
Good tip - to heat the hose. Thanks for sharing!

mnKevin

Yeah 2 weeks into it now. Lots of help from my 2 year old lol. So I put up a projector in the garage and she watches build videos with me.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Be glad you didn't try with dish soap. I had a bunch more paint work to do so silicone was a no no. 90 degrees and a pool of sweat with a buddy of mine and me did it. still a year later we laugh about that challenge.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Front end is looking great, what paint are you using?

How many miles on the donor?

I don't know if I'm an idiot for doing this but I paid DF to pull my hoses on a bare frame. I'm throwing many layers of POR15 on her so no powdercoating but saw the struggle everyone else was having and wanted to bypass that heartburn. Another member used -16AN lines and said they fit through without any issues.

KSLunsfo

You have been BUSY. I'm chassis 171 and it's looking like 172 will be on the road before 171 is even coated haha.

mnKevin

I bought the donor with just under 100k. And now it has about 140k. After cleaning the surface rust I use POR 15 paint prep, put a fan on it,than alcohol rattle can rust-oleum automotive primer than gloss protective enamel, some parts get rubberized coating. I tried other brands from automotive store for top coat but rust-oleum spayed on the best. I came close to using por15 for all the paint because I want to make a removable sun shade at some point but I went the easy route and had everything powder coated that I had ready even the gas tank and the sub frame because the benefit of them sandblasting before powder coating. I do plan on finding an oven soon to powder coat other parts that got to go on yet.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
That POR is awesome stuff but nothing seems to stick to it. My topcoat scratches off to easy but I can barely get the POR off with a wire brush attached to a drill.

JeffInWA

Has anyone tried a slightly smaller hose? I'm going to be doing this in a couple of days to mine, and after reading about your difficulties I'm thinking that I might just try something different. I found this 1" ID silicone hose that has a smaller OD (1.33" vs 1.44" for the supplied hose). I'm afraid that it will be stiffer and not compress as easily though, and I measure the inside of the frame to be only 1.277" ID.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Has anyone tried a slightly smaller hose? ...
mnKevin already discovered the secret to make it easy, but buying the silicone hose will probably work too.

mnKevin's discovery:
" I put them in a box with a heater for 15 min. Took 3/8” rope doubled it through the tube and zip tied it to the hose spayed the hose in the box with tire wet and pulled the hose through the tube with little effort not even enough force to disturb the frame on sawhorses. "

mnKevin

Silicone heater hose looks like a good solution and maybe an upgrade. Would look amazing too, being a smaller OD helps the only concern would be being able to crush to fit in the pipe, silicone is not as pliable as rubber but add enough heat even metal bends easier

jpr

Hey, another Minnesota Goblin! Awesome! I'm about 30 minutes south of the Cities myself.

Any plans to autocross it? =D

mnKevin

Hey, another Minnesota Goblin! Awesome! I'm about 30 minutes south of the Cities myself.

Any plans to autocross it? =D
Sweet! Summer can’t come soon enough. I will be taking it to Brainerd to see what I can get away with.