Murcielago311's City/standard build - 06 SS/SC - Chassis #177 *REGISTERED*

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Oh that's about right then. Felt like it took forever for hwy patrol to get my VIN plate in then schedule to put the VIN plate on.

Murcielago311

Just had the first start after buttoning the timing chain project back up. The rattle in the engine noise is gone. Man I wish I would have done with the engine on the stand.

The new Cloyes chains (I did both) were noticeably tighter than the ones removed, especially while turning the engine by hand. I had assumed, probably incorrectly, that since the parts that came in the engine were marked with 'Cloyes' and had a new style tensioner on a 2006 that the timing had been addressed, and everything looked ok. Maybe they were just due again, who knows.

Some findings once I had it all apart: the balance shaft/WP chain tensioner didn't feel like it was working properly, the oil nozzle seemed to be clogged, and there was a very small chunk missing from the right chain guide that kind of wraps around the main chain.

About the Cloyes kit: the chains and cam sprockets were noticeably thinner in construction than the removed parts, which I wasn't happy to see. Also, I had to reuse the balance shaft sprockets because one of the new ones lost a tooth on install at only about half the final torque value, I was REALLY not happy.

Overall, I'm just giddy that my engine isn't broken. Ready to rack up some miles.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Just picked up my hood from my uncle's sign shop. Little sneak-peek until I can take some good pics for the finished goblin thread.
Looks good.

what mesh did you use on the front of the nose, to protect the rad? I want to do something with mine, just not sure what.

Murcielago311

what mesh did you use on the front of the nose, to protect the rad?
Ya I had a few impacts in the radiator after like 600 miles, plus I wanted to cover the chrome look of it since everything on the car is painted it stood out too much. The car runs so cool I'm not worried about any impact to cooling but I'll keep an eye on it.
This listing gives enough to do 3 of em.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Cool. Thanks. That’s basically what I’m looking for. I don’t like the rad being out in the open like that. It needs something.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Here is an aluminum alternative to plastic, if you believe as I do that plastic won't take the same hit from something sizable (rock off a truck tire) as aluminum can. Plus it may be easier to mold into the grill area. Nothing against the grill Murcielago used on his car. :)

Murcielago311

First time driving after sundown. Somewhat surprised to find that my harbor freight spot/flood headlight setup is...NOT BAD!

I did have one casualty. A frog decided he wanted a ride. He glanced off the top of the hood into the passenger headrest and landed in the passenger seat .
Time to mod and install that windshield I guess.

Attachments

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
First time driving after sundown. Somewhat surprised to find that my harbor freight spot/flood headlight setup is...NOT BAD!

I did have one casualty. A frog decided he wanted a ride. He glanced off the top of the hood into the passenger headrest and landed in the passenger seat .
Time to mod and install that windshield I guess.
go back out! Frog leg fry tonight!!!!!!........ :)

Murcielago311

Got the seats in. Used some cobalt mounting brackets from ebay. Required 3/4" spacers under the rear of the brackets. Info for anyone using Racequip harnesses, the Corbeau hardware will not fit through the Racequip mounts, so don't waste your money.

These sit a lot lower than the OEM Recaros, which is nice because now I am down below my cut-down windshield entirely, but now my steering wheel is a bit high. More room behind the seats also.

Need to get my parking brake and firewall installed still.

Attachments