ncgoblin's Build Thread - 2005 SS/SC North Carolina

Nilbog

Ugghhh i was worried about this. I held off until this last weekend because i didnt want to drill through the A Arms to put on clamps that looked weak. Should have done something else....

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
BD5937AF-FBC3-4323-B1E9-1E63D96B4DA5.jpeg
7A79BFC9-8E75-4532-8818-99F746277E55.jpeg
Wheels finally came in I need some camber /toe adjustment . I am having trouble adjusting the reverse on the shifter I have both cables first nut all the way turned out towards the attachments. The 2 L shaped parts at the shifter are vertical. I pull up on the knob to put in reverse but it will not budge back. Any tips?

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I had a similar problem with reverse. I could get it to go in, but it was a huge pain. More than likely it's because you don't have your shifter in the correct neutral position to allow it to move far enough to the right to be able to go down. Lean it back over to the left a bit more, but don't go too far otherwise you'll have a hard time with first and second gear. It doesn't take much adjustment. For me, it was maybe two or three turns.

Hope that makes sense.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I had a similar problem with reverse. I could get it to go in, but it was a huge pain. More than likely it's because you don't have your shifter in the correct neutral position to allow it to move far enough to the right to be able to go down. Lean it back over to the left a bit more, but don't go too far otherwise you'll have a hard time with first and second gear. It doesn't take much adjustment. For me, it was maybe two or three turns.

Hope that makes sense.
I have got the shifter to now go into reverse and fine tuned the front back between gears. I almost gave up tonight but then I removed the upper bolt from the left/right shifter arm and ran it manually with my hand. I pushed it all the way to the rear and noticed the last 1/4" hit the front of the shift box. I cut the front off with my dremal just a bit and boom! Now it shifts in reverse. 99% of the time with this build the most frustrating problems are always simple fixes finding them is not always simple.

Thanks

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have got the shifter to now go into reverse and fine tuned the front back between gears. I almost gave up tonight but then I removed the upper bolt from the left/right shifter arm and ran it manually with my hand. I pushed it all the way to the rear and noticed the last 1/4" hit the front of the shift box. I cut the front off with my dremal just a bit and boom! Now it shifts in reverse. 99% of the time with this build the most frustrating problems are always simple fixes finding them is not always simple.

Thanks
Yep, there is a lot of fine tuning with those cables. We had to cut off about 1/4"-1/2" off of each end to shorten the inner cable length. On top of that, the aftermarket shifter we are using is such a large block of aluminum that it limits the amount of room (throw) you have. Ours hits on the left side in 1st and 2nd and then hits on the right for 5th and Reverse. The adjustment has to be spot on for all of it. But it does work.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Yep, there is a lot of fine tuning with those cables. We had to cut off about 1/4"-1/2" off of each end to shorten the inner cable length. On top of that, the aftermarket shifter we are using is such a large block of aluminum that it limits the amount of room (throw) you have. Ours hits on the left side in 1st and 2nd and then hits on the right for 5th and Reverse. The adjustment has to be spot on for all of it. But it does work.
If you could add 2 items to your Christmas list after the initial build what would it be? I was thinking about the removable steering wheel. Is that shifter a lot nicer? Wife needs some ideas.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you could add 2 items to your Christmas list after the initial build what would it be? I was thinking about the removable steering wheel. Is that shifter a lot nicer? Wife needs some ideas.
Well for me personally, Push-to-Start. Only because I already have the shifter and the removable steering wheel.

The short-throw shifter is nice but it also doesn't have the leverage so there is a bit more force to click it in each gear. It makes it feel a bit more like a large transmission than a rice-burner trans. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, the gears feel more hard and solid to click in than I remember with Lonny's. However, when slamming through the gears, it's quick to get to the next one. That I did notice when compared to driving Lonny's car.

I haven't been able to enjoy the removable steering wheel. That's also more of a want than a must-have. My fear is someone stealing it or having to take it with me all the time. It will help with getting in and out but with the easy entry, it's not really a problem.

I hated it when I forgot the keys in my pocket because my daily driver has push-to-start and I'm not used to having to pull them out. I would always get in and buckled up and then remember the dang keys in my pocket. And with my fat gut, it's not easy to pull them out. And I think it will go well with the shifter and removable steering wheel. As soon as I get the car up and running, I'm going to wire in a push-to-start system. Still deciding between a couple of systems. I just want to make the wiring is fine after the accident and that it runs before I go cutting wires.

Nilbog

Curious, how much clearance do you have between the tire and strut nubs? Did you go with neg 1.5 degrees camber?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
What offset are your rear wheels? Clearance looks pretty tight between the strut, strut perch and tire.
With those wheels you might need to use wheel spacers to give you the clearance's you need.

Nilbog

Dont know what my offset was but i am running 275s in the rear (and front) with 1 inch wheel spacer/adapters and have maybe a couple hundred thou of gap between the strut and tire. Thinking of going to coilovers potentially.... i would hate to cut down a tire if the struts moved somehow...

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
The offset should be cast into the backside of the wheel. Shown as "+35" as an example.
I hate to say it but you might have go with a lower offset wheel to get the clearance.

That was the issue I was having when choosing a wheel. Something that I liked, light, strong, wide enough with bolt pattern I was looking for and a lower/lowest offset (for the rear) without breaking the bank.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Would make more sense to just go with the coilovers at that point since it is the wheel that you wanted and waited for!