New donor, won't crank - clutch pedal/evap codes thrown

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing you could do is hook a large long wire to the negative post of the battery, turn on your ignition and then touch the wire to every ground lug. Watch for any changes on your instrument cluster and listen for clicks. Also watch for any small sparks when you touch the ground lugs which would indicate the ground lug is not grounded.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Does your throttle plate move when you press the accelerator pedal?

While the ignition is on systematically go through every plug and press them in while wiggling and watch and listen for reactions.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
On a side note, I forgot that you're still trying to get it running while it's still a Cobalt. Which means you probably wouldn't have messed with your data wires. I'd go back to checking grounds, loose connections, fuses, etc.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The repeated clicking part of the symptoms sure sounds like a lot battery.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note, I forgot that you're still trying to get it running while it's still a Cobalt. Which means you probably wouldn't have messed with your data wires. I'd go back to checking grounds, loose connections, fuses, etc.
Me too!

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
I jostled everything around, checked all fuses, and replaced the battery with a brand new one.

It fired up immediately upon jumping the starter terminals. It ran beautifully for a few seconds before I shut it down with the key.

Great!

Now nothing works, key in it option does nothing, hazard lights don't work, there's no power anywhere. This has to be a fuse somewhere, but I checked all fuses on bcm and ecm and all are fine. The fuse box is getting power.

I remember someone saying there's a fusable link that would cause this somewhere right after the battery but mine looks like it just goes straight to the lil OEM subwoofer.

1) I've checked all ECM/BCM fuses
2) terminals are getting power at the fuse box
3) No power to the dash whatsoever

Where is the fuse I'm missing?

Thanks everyone for your help!

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I jostled everything around, checked all fuses, and replaced the battery with a brand new one.

It fired up immediately upon jumping the starter terminals. It ran beautifully for a few seconds before I shut it down with the key.

Great!

Now nothing works, key in it option does nothing, hazard lights don't work, there's no power anywhere. This has to be a fuse somewhere, but I checked all fuses on bcm and ecm and all are fine. The fuse box is getting power.

I remember someone saying there's a fusable link that would cause this somewhere right after the battery but mine looks like it just goes straight to the lil OEM subwoofer.

1) I've checked all ECM/BCM fuses
2) terminals are getting power at the fuse box
3) No power to the dash whatsoever

Where is the fuse I'm missing?

Thanks everyone for your help!
There is a large 30 that's on the battery side. In the trunk. Check that one first.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Leave your key on and start moving things again, especially the big battery connections, and watch your instrument cluster to see if anything lights up.
I feel like you must have moved something while installing the battery.

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
So, all is well now (aside from clutch sensor keeping the key from starting it)

The battery ground was completely hosed, I cleaned it and retightened it.

It started fine then died immediately, also the OBD2 port was erroring out. I had dissassembled the interior so I figured I'd plug things back in to see if that fixes it and low and behold the RPD was the first thing I plugged back in, obe port works again and the car fires up immediately and runs perfectly.

I'm now a firm believer in the whole Ground contact cleaning, it was really the only issue I was battling the entire time (aside from the clutch pedal code)

I guess I need a TECH2 now :/

Thanks everyone for your help, it's embarrassing to know it was a junk battery and poor grounds all along, but that's what I was told to check and that's what was wrong.

Cheers fellas!

Ross

Goblin Guru
So, all is well now (aside from clutch sensor keeping the key from starting it)

The battery ground was completely hosed, I cleaned it and retightened it.

It started fine then died immediately, also the OBD2 port was erroring out. I had dissassembled the interior so I figured I'd plug things back in to see if that fixes it and low and behold the RPD was the first thing I plugged back in, obe port works again and the car fires up immediately and runs perfectly.

I'm now a firm believer in the whole Ground contact cleaning, it was really the only issue I was battling the entire time (aside from the clutch pedal code)

I guess I need a TECH2 now :/

Thanks everyone for your help, it's embarrassing to know it was a junk battery and poor grounds all along, but that's what I was told to check and that's what was wrong.

Cheers fellas!
RPD?
Glad you got past that electrical issue!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I can hear Chad mumbling to himself already. :)

I'm super glad you got it figured out. I was really hoping that the clutch sensor would have been fixed too. I really hope it's an "easy" fix by just swapping it out. I know the whole Tech-II thing is kind of a downer.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The turbo cars will not run if the RPD is not connected. The data wires daisy chain through the display.