Ark's City Goblin (2007 2.0L LSJ donor) - Aborted mission

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Hello everyone!

I've been a fairly big fan of Goonzquad's YouTube channel ever since they rebuilt their 2017 Mustang GT. I've always been interested in a car project, but it's WAY outside my comfort zone since I know next to nothing about wrenching on cars and am minimally equipped for such a thing. Then I saw them build a Goblin and, well, here I am!

I guess it's obvious by this point, but I am quite interested in building a Goblin of my own. I've consumed all the info I can find about the subject, including many of the threads on this forum. In fact, I am going this weekend to have a look at my potential donor, a 2007 Cobalt SS with about 102k miles on it. It looks like crap on the outside, the seats are pretty much shredded, and it needs minor engine work to even start (coils/plugs, vacuum lines, a fuel filter), so it's a perfect donor car! Currently the price is $1000, which I view as a bargain for such a donor. I just know I would not be happy with a base automatic.

Cost is an issue. As such, I plan to stretch this project out over a few years. I'm targeting summer of 2022 as my finish date; that way, there's not too much pressure to get everything ordered and paid for ASAP. I guess this leads me to my first concern: will there still be Goblin kits being produced by the time I'm ready to order? I know there's no concrete answer to that question, but it would stink to end up not being able to finish the project once I start it.

Knowledge is another issue. As I said, I have very little direct knowledge about wrenching on cars, but my dad is/was an auto and machine mechanic for most of his life (retired now) and I am an IT guy by trade (so I am comfortable with wiring and I'm mechanically inclined I'd say). Probably the most intimidating part of the strip process, to me, is thinning the harness. The instructional videos are great but don't seem to cover all Cobalt trim levels. I'm sure this forum is a great resource, but, are there more detailed instructions anywhere regarding this and other Goblin topics?

I plan to document my whole process. It should be quite an adventure!

~Ark

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Welcome Aboard. Be prepared for the hurdles of registering in PA. One bit of advice is label every plug you take apart in the donor harness.

Goblin Guru
Thanks!

I downloaded and looked over PA's documents on specially constructed vehicles. It doesn't sound too terrible. I guess I'll find out in a few years. ;)

~Ark

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Welcome! I have a slow build going on now. Picked up my donor Oct of 2017. Rec’d stage 1 of the kit in June of 2018 and won’t have my engine in the frame until August of 2019. Hoping to receive stage 2 before end of year and stage 3 before summer of 2020.

Tim Moland

I have no doubt the guys at DF will be around for a long time. The business seems to be taking off at a fast pace. They are extremely busy. When I first visited them to poke around I was concerned about Texas revoking titles for these cars. It sounds like that may be getting reversed in the near future, but Lonny didn't seem phased by it. He hinted that they just might have to move the business out of state. Sounds like they are committed!

Christopher Sanchez

Hello everyone!

I've been a fairly big fan of Goonzquad's YouTube channel ever since they rebuilt their 2017 Mustang GT. I've always been interested in a car project, but it's WAY outside my comfort zone since I know next to nothing about wrenching on cars and am minimally equipped for such a thing. Then I saw them build a Goblin and, well, here I am!

I guess it's obvious by this point, but I am quite interested in building a Goblin of my own. I've consumed all the info I can find about the subject, including many of the threads on this forum. In fact, I am going this weekend to have a look at my potential donor, a 2007 Cobalt SS with about 102k miles on it. It looks like crap on the outside, the seats are pretty much shredded, and it needs minor engine work to even start (coils/plugs, vacuum lines, a fuel filter), so it's a perfect donor car! Currently the price is $1000, which I view as a bargain for such a donor. I just know I would not be happy with a base automatic.

Cost is an issue. As such, I plan to stretch this project out over a few years. I'm targeting summer of 2022 as my finish date; that way, there's not too much pressure to get everything ordered and paid for ASAP. I guess this leads me to my first concern: will there still be Goblin kits being produced by the time I'm ready to order? I know there's no concrete answer to that question, but it would stink to end up not being able to finish the project once I start it.

Knowledge is another issue. As I said, I have very little direct knowledge about wrenching on cars, but my dad is/was an auto and machine mechanic for most of his life (retired now) and I am an IT guy by trade (so I am comfortable with wiring and I'm mechanically inclined I'd say). Probably the most intimidating part of the strip process, to me, is thinning the harness. The instructional videos are great but don't seem to cover all Cobalt trim levels. I'm sure this forum is a great resource, but, are there more detailed instructions anywhere regarding this and other Goblin topics?

I plan to document my whole process. It should be quite an adventure!

~Ark
You can definitely complete this build. The online forum is literally better than any book you can buy.. these guys are great! I am an RN by trade and only tinker with cars.. I predicted that this build would take me over a year to complete but once I got going it took me about 6 months from start to street legal.. it will be a great project for you and your father.. this is the first time I’ve ever done something like this and the experience with the forum community and with the guys at DF have been excellent.

Goblin Guru
Thank you all for the warm welcomes and encouragement. I'm hoping to see my donor car on Saturday morning and drop a deposit on it until I can figure out how I'm going to haul it. Exciting times!

Goblin Guru
Has anyone exercised the option to have DF Kit Car rework their harness? Just curious what they'd charge for this. I would likely try it myself first, but if the cost isn't too bad.....

askiles

Goblin Guru
It's actually $900 for all harnesses to be reworked and combined. $700 quoted was just the main harness. Then you have to add the dash harness.

Goblin Guru
Good to know it's an option, anyway. I only ever planned on doing that as a last resort.

Bought my donor today, I pick it up next Saturday. It's a real POS. The interior is moldy and ruined, the driver's seat is destroyed, the driver's side door handle and mirror are broken off, it has two flat tires, and it doesn't start as expected (needs coils/plugs, fresh oil, a fuel filter, some vacuum lines, and some fresh gas). But it has it where it counts: it's a 2007 Cobalt SS 5-speed with 102k on the odometer, and it only cost me $1k. According to the dealer, it was abandoned in New Jersey, retitled, and bought by him personally.

Here's some images:
I'm going to try to sell off the body panels, airbags, and whatever else I can on Craigslist. If anyone has any suggestions on accomplishing that, I'm all ears!

~Ark

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm going to try to sell off the body panels, airbags, and whatever else I can on Craigslist. If anyone has any suggestions on accomplishing that, I'm all ears!

~Ark
I sold a bunch of my donor parts on Craiglist and Facebook Marketplace. Once I had the person here if the mentioned a part I would really deal to get rid of the stuff. One lady came for the rear axle assy. Sold her both passenger side doors for $20 each and a light for $10. It was cheap but they were gone. I had a problem selling airbags. With all the recalled Tacata junk out there no one seemed to want used airbags.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You will find out just how 'small' your garage really is as you take the donor apart. ;) Looks like you are making good progress and have may parts to sell to help offset the cost of the donor.