New here, now for the donor search....

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
They are good motors as long as they are taken care of. The only issue is the timing chain when the mileage gets up there.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Nice find. Glad to see another N/A 2.2 5 speed. I was starting to get a complex with all the turbo and supercharged builds.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Guys, everything I have heard is that you will NOT be disappointed in the performance of the 2.2! And as I mentioned earlier, the 5-speed will make it a lot of fun to drive.

The turbo and SC can be a pain in the butt to build the extra stuff needed. You will have yours on the road quicker than the others.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Sometimes I wish I had an automatic. A manual can sometimes be a PITA when you just want to cruise around and be lazy.

Edit. Yikes! I take that old man in me comment back. Never would I have imagined saying something like this 20 years ago.

Last edited:

CncMan333

Sometimes I wish I had an automatic. A manual can sometimes be a PITA when you just want to cruise around and be lazy.

Edit. Yikes! I take that old man in me comment back. Never would I have imagined saying something like this 20 years ago.
I fought the same issue, an automatic allows you to just get in and cruise, have a sandwich, hold your honey's hand, sip on a soda, etc. However, a manual is more fun. When we were talking about choices one of the guys in the shop is like "You gotta go manual, it's more fun. It's a fun car right?"

RichRich

Awesome man!!! Will be a fun build, however the assembly is much more fun than the disassembly :) Donor looks perfect, great choice!!

CncMan333

I have a 99 corvette that needs to be sold before we can start disassembly on the donor. I am hoping that the donor phase will not take too long. For anyone who sees this post and has finished with the donor disassembly - about how many man hours do you figure it took, and what was the hardest part of it?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have a 99 corvette that needs to be sold before we can start disassembly on the donor. I am hoping that the donor phase will not take too long. For anyone who sees this post and has finished with the donor disassembly - about how many man hours do you figure it took, and what was the hardest part of it?
A full weekend if you stay at it all day. My son and I did it in two weekend taking our time. It's not that hard and actually quite enjoyable for me since I'm always fixing things it was a nice change to tear something apart and not have to worry about scratching or breaking things (other than what we were keeping).

The dash is heavy on the driver side and you need two people to do it. Just make sure you know what you need to keep and what you can toss. When in doubt, KEEP IT! You can always toss it later, but it's difficult to get it back and can really slow down your build. We clipped the fuel line going from the pump to the filter and shouldn't have. Other than that we didn't make any donor mistakes.

Lifting the car might be a bit of a task. We used the tractor and it's hydraulic bucket to lift the car so it was really easy for us but without it I see where it might be a pain.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
A full weekend would be about right for time. If you are not starting to disassemble for a while. I would post parts for sale and get rid of some of the stuff that your not going to use. I had my doors sold before I started to tear it apart.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I spent 9.5 hours last Saturday. Then 3 hours Sunday. I only have the rear disassembly left to do which I assume is about 1.5 2 hours

I should also mention. I was working alone and lableing everything. I also don't have an engine hoist or impact wrench. Both of those will come in handy.

As mentioned. The dash is heavy. You really need two people. I believe the toughest thing for me was the subframe bolts. They were stuck in the bushing so I kept turning and turning. My donor was wrecked and I wasn't keeping a ton of the interior parts so when I was taking that apart i was careless which may have saved a little time. I plan on taking care of the rest today in hopes of getting my donor it of here Monday.

Last edited: