New Style Engine/Transmission Mount

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I figured out the driver side transmission mount holes, but what spacers are used on the manual transmission on the driver side?

Also, the passenger side engine mount will bolt up to either set of holes, which set of holes do I use for the manual transmission SS/SC set up?

DSCN0998.JPG

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The SS kits now come with the following bag with two transmission mount spacers:

1515178996283965111356.jpg

1515179038979482620967.jpg

Base manual builds do not requires spacers. Automatic builds use three spacers.

The spacers will go between the chassis and the aluminum standoff that should already be bolted to your donor's transmission.

On the passenger side, all manual powertrains will use the rear set of holes. Automatics are the only builds that will use the front set.

Tony

Does this new design include my chassis? I received a modified standoff for my SS/TC powertrain, but no spacers. I haven't had a chance to mount it up yet, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So we were trying to mount it up and I cannot for the life of me figure out the driver side. I have the two spacers and assumed they went in the front and middle position and the rear-most would lay flat against the plate. No such luck. The rear hole just will not fit without hitting the riser. I don't want to just cut and grind without finding out the correct way first.

Hits right here. If I slide it forward where it doesn't hit, then the other two holes don't line up.

image3.JPG

image2.JPG

image1 (1).JPG

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I can't see below it to be for sure. I believe those are the same holes that I'm using but it just won't sit down on the transmission mount without hitting the riser.

RichRich

I can get a pic from a different angle if you would like, I remember it being a little confusing first but in the end everything lined up just fine and didn't hit any part of the frame

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Make any headway with this?
No. I appreciate the thoughts. I will probably make a phone call to the trusted source. It's kind of at a standstill until I get this figured out. I don't mind modifying things but I don't want to jack with the engine alignment and be wrong.

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
image3.JPG

You will need to clearance your frame and/or mount to allow those two surfaces to sit flat to each other with the bolts in.
Apparently there are different styles of that mount and yours is beefier in that area.
If you want to ship the mount to us we will clearance it and cover the cost of shipping it back.
Let me know if we can help.
Lonny
214-334-0232

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm confused. Isn't the mount on the transmission cast directly into the aluminum housing? I'm pretty sure mine is at least.

RichRich

I don't think so, mine was even broke and had to buy a new one. I could see how it would look like that at first glance though. if you zoom in on the pic I posted of the drivers side you can see one of the bolt downs for the mount

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You will need to clearance your frame and/or mount to allow those two surfaces to sit flat to each other with the bolts in.
Apparently there are different styles of that mount and yours is beefier in that area.
If you want to ship the mount to us we will clearance it and cover the cost of shipping it back.
Let me know if we can help.
Lonny
214-334-0232
Thanks Lonny.

It won't be necessary for you to do it. We can take care of that and I was certainly willing to if needed. My biggest concern before I did that was that I was doing it for the right reason and not trying to bolt it up wrong or something. I'm looking forward to getting it all bolted up this weekend. Hopefully by next weekend we will be able to do the first start.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
It didn't take a whole lot to grind off and then it fit well. I did have to push the two rear frame uprights apart to get the bolt holes to line up better which in the end worked out for the best. I measured the rear most subframe mounts and then measured the frame tubes they bolt to and they did need to move out just a bit to line up which made the engine mounts line up better also. Pretty happy with it now. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong.

aaronbuley

The SS kits now come with the following bag with two transmission mount spacers:

View attachment 2526

View attachment 2527

Base manual builds do not requires spacers. Automatic builds use three spacers.

The spacers will go between the chassis and the aluminum standoff that should already be bolted to your donor's transmission.

On the passenger side, all manual powertrains will use the rear set of holes. Automatics are the only builds that will use the front set.
Does this matter too much? I used the forward holes on the passenger side to give more room for Turbo plumbing.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Does this matter too much? I used the forward holes on the passenger side to give more room for Turbo plumbing.
I'm pretty sure the rear holes have to be used, or the engine is not properly aligned in place. It would kind of be twisted. Did you get your front and rear transmission mounts on? If those went on, then you may be golden. If you are having issues with those, the mounting in the front holes would be why.

aaronbuley

I'm pretty sure the rear holes have to be used, or the engine is not properly aligned in place. It would kind of be twisted. Did you get your front and rear transmission mounts on? If those went on, then you may be golden. If you are having issues with those, the mounting in the front holes would be why.
Oohhhhh good call.
That would explain why the front motor mount is misaligned. I was able to do the rear mount (with a ratchet strap pulling it in place) but moving it back should help align the front motor mount.

askiles

Goblin Guru
Oohhhhh good call.
That would explain why the front motor mount is misaligned. I was able to do the rear mount (with a ratchet strap pulling it in place) but moving it back should help align the front motor mount.
Yeah, that would be why. It shouldn't take any straps to get it very close to bolting up. My rear mount went right into place. The front took a little bit of aligning, but eventually went right in. I have the solid mounts from DF too. So they are a little less forgiving.