New to the site need help with a donor car

RandyL.

What is the best year to get as a donor car as far as the Chevy cobalt?? So far I've found a 2008 with some slight body damage but don't know the details on the model and a 2006 2 door coupe Ls that is a daily driver....I plan on buying within the next week so any information would really be appreciated thank you

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
What is the best year to get as a donor car as far as the Chevy cobalt?? So far I've found a 2008 with some slight body damage but don't know the details on the model and a 2006 2 door coupe Ls that is a daily driver....I plan on buying within the next week so any information would really be appreciated thank you
In my opinion anything with lower miles, is a good start. Body damage really does not matter as long as no suspension components or subframe are tweaked. I bought a 2007 that was heavily wrecked, but it only had 73k miles on it from copart. A lot of people have bought clean cars as well, clean cars may be easier to recoup some of the donor costs. I've gotten back about 850 from my donor but I have not been able to sell any "widely available" items such as the seats and now they are just taking up room. Feel free to look around at peoples builds as well, usually they start with how they got their car etc.

RandyL.

the 07 has has less miles but has manual Windows none electric/power I know I need all the wiring would that be an issue later ...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
None of the creature comforts will be needed. No A/C, Heat, windows, power mirrors, heated seat (although that one has been debated. I had seated seats but removed the wiring), truck pop, power sunroof :D, etc. Go for the lower mileage for sure.

RandyL.

I wanted a ss but it's a lil harder to find in my area and I really want to get this started so I've chosen to move forward with the base model plus can't I add a turbo or supercharger later or would I be wasting money going that route

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wanted a ss but it's a lil harder to find in my area and I really want to get this started so I've chosen to move forward with the base model plus can't I add a turbo or supercharger later or would I be wasting money going that route
That is the route I am taking. I will add power later as I see the need and the budget.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Where are you from? Any Copart's around? It sounds like you're looking at clean title cars, private party. May be worth it to check a salvage auction.

RandyL.

Houston tx where is the official parts list they say that's on the site I can't seem to find it anywhere

dperkins

If you're still looking, I would go with a non SS for really cheap unless you can find a great priced SS. Low miles are better, but in my build I didn't bother with that because I was doing a full rebuild. A supercharger kit for the 2.2/4 is around 1000 dollars with a tune and can make upwards of 280 WHP, which is a ton, relatively easy and safely. Another option is a turbo kit, which is near 2100 dollars, but that can make pretty much as much power as you could ever need.