NM registration

Christopher Sanchez

I am currently undergoing the process of getting my goblin registered in New Mexico. I knew that this would be a process and so far I was right. I have read and studied the requirements for the past couple of months and have completed every requirement required according to the NM MVD website. The current problem that I am having is that the MVD workers are not familiar with the process and have never registered a kit car. I visited two separate MVDs on Wednesday and each of them say something different. One said the vehicle requires the State Police office to perform Level 3 VIN inspection while the State police Dept tell me it does not since its a custom built chassis. One MVD told me that i cannot register the goblin for road use after "passing the vehicle equipment affirmation inspection" because it looks like a dune buggy unable to give any further explanation. The other MVD is unable to realize that the goblin is not a "reconstructed" vehicle and is a "Specially" constructed vehicle. reconstructed meaning using a factory made chassis which would require a Level 3 inspection. Ultimately the issue is that the personnel just are not familiar with this process. And so far it has not mattered that I have been able to show them their own documentation which states what make a vehicle legal on NM roads. Sorry for the ranting in this section, once I have completed this process i will document all of the requirements but for now i guess i am just looking for tips from others who have had similar experiences and how they ultimately were successful.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Sometimes the inexperience can work in your favor if you get the right person. Sounds like it has not in Christopher's case so far and the unfamiliarity of the NM DMV has ended up being a roadblock. Keep at it, you will eventually get to the right person and complete the registration. Good luck.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I agree with Desert. It may also help if you respectfully show them that you know what you are doing and are familiar with the process. That can be tricky as some may just block you to be an a55 if you come off too cocky.

When I was registering at the DMV, she thought I would have to have a motor vehicle safety inspection, I confidently reminded her that this is a 2018 model year (in 2018) and since it is a "new" vehicle, they are exempt from safety inspections. She agree and said she would try to process it through "to see what happens" and sure enough they system allowed her to process and on we went.

It stinks that you run into these situations, but we really can't blame them as this is something they never see and don't need to know about on a daily basis. It's part of the adventure. You will have the same with insurance companies when they go to give a quote using the make/model/year.

Good luck!

Christopher Sanchez

Desert, that is absolutely the vibe i am getting. I feel as though I can show up to another MVD and it may pass without a second thought! Ctuinstra, Its hard to swallow being denied when the last 6 mo have led up to that moment of getting it registered! Haha not to mention I work nights and worked all night and then had to return to work the following night. So maybe I came off a little bit grouchy when she told me I had to have a license plate bracket or pre drilled holes/ zip ties in place where the License plate would be mounted (not stated on document), even though the license plate light is mounted directly above, and also that she felt it required (2) windshield wipers when the doc in her hand clearly states (1)... I think we were merely butting heads after this. Oh well it will make it that much sweeter when the process is over!

Christopher Sanchez

So I’m sure it is similar for other states but NM allows the titling and registration for “specially constructed vehicles” which is the category the goblin falls into. The paper work you will need is as follows.
DF’s certificate for the frame
DF’s invoice for the kit
Weight slip- (from any company who offers this service) I went to a local construction yard, my goblin lined up between semis I wish I snapped a picture..
MVD FORM (vehicle equipment affirmation)
MVD form- (affirmation certifying ownership)
MVD form- (specially constructed or reconstructed affirmation form). please stress to them that yours is a specially constructed vehicle. it will save you a lot of headaches.

Christopher Sanchez

The entire process took me 5 trips to the MVD... 2 of the trips were before the car was ready and I was just asking questions and gathering all of the needed forms.. I will say that I don’t think these extra trips did anything except make me overly prepared only to still get the run around.. EXPECT THE SAME. The problem is not with the state laws it is with the unfamiliarity of the process by the MVD staff.

Christopher Sanchez

I was scheduled and sent for a LEVEL 3 inspection ( YOU DO NOT NEED ONE). The state officer explained to me that the vehicle does not have any VINS for them to run and he sent me to the state ran MVD in the town I live in.. after telling the officer that all I had to do was take the car in and they would assign a NM ID number (VIN) and they would register the car, I showed up and that when the disaster started...

Christopher Sanchez

VISIT ONE- Ishow up and am pleased to find that they are aware of the conversation with the state cop, I am thinking it’s going to be easy sailing... WRONG. I present all of my paper work for the car and ID. During our inspection the lady starts picking out the most obsurd reasons she can fail the car.. example- she says it needs two windshields when the MVD form that she is using as a checklist clearly states at least one... also points out that there are no bolt holes under the license plate light. I calmly explain to her that I am going to be zip tying it in place in the designated spot, she wanted me to have the zip ties in place to show her! We eventually go back in where she makes a call and snaps a picture and sends it to her boss.. a few minutes later she comes back to the window and says that the car is only eligible for off road use... I politely tell her NO. And ask her to explain, she goes on to say it does not “look” like a car and when I ask to talk to the manager “who was the one who spoke to the state police officer” she sticks with her co workers call and claims that she did not know what the car looked like when she told him to have me bring it in. Even though he told her, on speakerphone “it looks like a go kart on steroids” which is a fair description.. needless to say I left empty handed.

Christopher Sanchez

VISIT TWO- I show up to a county ran MVD the same one I have gathering up info in the previous months. The same MVD who sent me to get the state vin inspection. I explain to them that the state police officer told me that I do not need a level 3 inspection because it is a specially constructed vehicle NOT A RECONSTRUCTED vehicle.. probably the most important detail to explain to them as it changes the process.. they again turn me away after calling the head office in Santa Fe they say I should receive a call. She was under the assumption that the officer was going to have to receive further training in the process. So I was expecting to have to go back the the state police office... I left again empty handed.

Christopher Sanchez

VISIT THREE- I receive call from the county ran MVD and am pleasantly surprised to hear her say to bring the car back and that they will register it for me without the state VIN inspection. I gleefully rent another uhaul auto transport and fly up to the MVD thinking it’s in the bag and I will not have any other issues... not exactly. So even though I eventually leave the MVD with my title and plate it takes 4 hours for them to complete the process as the title was not allowing for both the NMID and the DF serial number... they had to remotely enter it from Santa Fe and I paid my dues!!!! I had never been so happy to cough up money at the MVD.. sorry for the long story but believe me it’s the short version..

I'm going over the MVD-10053 and just saw it requires a windshield wiper and reflectors. Did you have those on your car when you got it registered?

Christopher Sanchez

Yes I did.. I do not remember if the lady who did the “inspection” even looked at it. I purchased a cheap hand driven one that clamped onto the windscreen then immediately removed it after the inspection.. as for the reflectors I purchased some reflective tape on eBay and stuck them on each side of the car on the frame near the engine.. again idk if they actually looked for every item. It was more key to find someone at the mvd who was willing to help.. I was 100% prepared and it still took me 4 visits until I found a lady that was helpful and actually looked into the requirements. Be prepared for people to turn you away a few times just keep at it and have all your paperwork. Good luck! Hope this mean I won’t me the only NM goblin anymore!

Last edited:

Jareth

Goblin Guru
I have been looking for the last year for a wiper that clamps to the windscreen but have only found ones that mount thru a whole.

Do you recall where you got it from or what I can search for?