Non-DF owner but can maybe help with DOT

terryjr

Hey, Im Terry. I recently built "exotruck" and I'm in the middle of registering it in PA. There not a lot of info out there on registering a tube chassis type vehicle in PA, came across this forum looking. Hopefully soon I can help answer any questions of registering. I'll just be lurking otherwise.

Exotruck is a home built, Front engine AWD Subaru powered pickup
20180806_191036_HDR-X3.jpg

terryjr

Thanks. My donor was my old Subaru Forester. 427whp

I did my enhanced inspection on 8/10 and the title paperwork the same day. PennDot's had it about a week now and so far no calls requesting anything extra. Im hoping it will go through. The only other guy i could find locally to title something similar was an Exocet up north. And he had zero issues getting a title. My main difference from his and yinz guys is that i scratch built it so i didnt have a "kit" type bill of sale to give them. Just a bunch of receipts for tubing and sheet metal.

P_20180810_103305_vHDR_Auto-X3.jpg

Have a couple questions - no wipers? Also what about defrost?

Keep us updated. After my garage is built. It will be a go for build time.

Is this the exocert you are talking about
f9Fnmz7.jpg
B4K58WW.jpg

terryjr

Where in Pittsburgh are you located. I would love to check it out.
Im in Bridgeville. And yup, thats Greg's Exocet I was talking about

Have a couple questions - no wipers? Also what about defrost?

Keep us updated. After my garage is built. It will be a go for build time.

Is this the exocert you are talking about
I used an Ongaro marine wiper motor and a 12v plug in defroster from the auto parts store. I went with the Ongaro because i have a tall window, it has good torque to turn a 24" blade and it can be wired easily to self park and has multiple options to changes sweep angle and park direction.

Last edited:

terryjr

Penndot rejected my application. They didnt like plastic panels, light bolt license plate lights, my window doesn't say AS1 and they're questioning my 3000 pound GVWR.

BAR-AIR

Good Afternoon,
Keep plugging away at it... if I can get the Goblin passed in NY you can get yours through PA. Glass company’s can etch the AS1 into the glass for a small fee (they prefer it flat and out of the car but was told some would do it in the car). As for the plastic panels the sides are flat (fiberglass acceptable?) if not replace with aluminum. As for the front panels (I think they are concerned about them in a crash - especially with a pedestrian if they were to break). If they are not needed remove them. Try not to give them anything additional to fail you on if it’s not required remove it.
Bruce

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Penndot rejected my application. They didnt like plastic panels, light bolt license plate lights, my window doesn't say AS1 and they're questioning my 3000 pound GVWR.
I can see some of the stuff. The one that kills me is the license plate lights.. The quote from the inspection manual says.Reject if...... "(D) The license plate lamp, if so equipped, does not illuminate the license plate. " It does specify it has to be a certain type of light or number of lights.

BAR-AIR

It’s a numbers game license plate light should be a DOT FMVSS-108 as per them if you use that they can’t fail you on it.
Let’s be really honest if they want to fail the vehicle it will never pass. Basically what I was told comply with all the easy things (DOT lights with correct markings, have the DOT required equipment working emergency brakes,wipers etc...) and don’t leave anything hanging like extra wires or hardware to open questions about what is missing.

terryjr

Ya I have no problem changing out the license plate light or putting in metal side panels but what can I do about the windshield or GVWR. I spent a little while at an autoglass place earlier looking for AS1 glass. We found some school bus windows but none were wide enough or were too short. The code doesnt even say the glass has to be AS1. AS1 stands for the location, window one, winshield. All the code says is laminated glass and that's what got. As for GVWR, there's no code on how to calculate it for a home built vehicle. I figured I was safe saying 3,000 pounds. That's 1800 pounds under my donors GVWR

And now I'm starting to think the GVWR is only an issue since I applied As a truck. I didn't think they would let me get away with passenger car

Last edited:

Silverback

It's a longshot, but try to find a friendly auto glass shop that has access to the National Auto Glass Specifications (NAGS) database. They may be able to match up something close to your size requirements. It is a tedious and often unsuccessful process, but laminated glass can be cut down.

Last edited:

terryjr

The guy at Advance Auto Glass was super helpful. He can cut down glass, we just couldn't find anything big enough prestamped.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
The AS1 is also the tint rating with 70% of light transmission. You may be right on the GVWR for trucks. Pa wont be able to charge you enough for the plates:D.

BAR-AIR

I have clear AS1 in mine they couldn’t get the etched AS1 markings oriented correctly in the windshield (NY accepted a certified receipt from the glass company - where I purchased it - that it was AS1). The other option was they could etch the glass with the AS1 if necessary.