Non-DF owner but can maybe help with DOT

terryjr

My glass guy gave me the ANSI Z97 cert that says its 1/4" thick laminated safety glass but Z97 relates to buildings.

terryjr

My paperwork has moved up to Supervisor. From what the mechanic has told me, they have some engineer looking at it now

terryjr

Met at shop again with a PennDOT QOA guy. The head guy from Harrisburg did not come like I had thought. This guy had a very detailed secret check list. My decision to throw a window washer in paid off since that was on his list. I don't think I missed anything. His only concern was my big hose clamp type battery hold down, and that he thought a heat sheild between tail pipe and fuel fill may be a good idea. He also asked again for the AS1 window cert. He took lots of photos of brakes, wiring, engine, dot markings on lights. Overall he said he liked it and it was much better built that a rat rod. But he also said his opinion means nothing.

He'll do his report and then someone in Harrisburg will review it and either title it or let me know if I need to change anything.

To be continued.....

Do you happen to know all the secret stuff on the list?? Interesting about the windshield washers... just another thing to add!

terryjr

Do you happen to know all the secret stuff on the list?? Interesting about the windshield washers... just another thing to add!
I've Google for months for a criteria list. Best I could find was the chapters E and K, and some stuff in an inspection mechanic section, all very gray. Nothing like this check list he had.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
There is nothing about washers in the inspection book under the subchapters for Specialty constructed, or Street rod. I will argue that with him when I get to that point.

terryjr

There is nothing about washers in the inspection book under the subchapters for Specialty constructed, or Street rod. I will argue that with him when I get to that point.
if you dig way deep, somewhere in chapter E I think It states vehicles manufactured after 1970ish need a washer. The SCV code references a bunch of chapters, E I believe is passenger cars and light trucks.

Found it. Subchapter E 175.70, washer required on vehicles manufactured after 1968.

I get the feeling they will want me to do something to satisfy the inspection. I rather them make me fix my battery mount or install a washer then get my frame design stamped by an engineer.

Last edited:

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
if you dig way deep, somewhere in chapter E I think It states vehicles manufactured after 1970ish need a washer. The SCV code references a bunch of chapters, E I believe is passenger cars and light trucks.

Found it. Subchapter E 175.70, washer required on vehicles manufactured after 1968.

I get the feeling they will want me to do something to satisfy the inspection. I rather them make me fix my battery mount or install a washer then get my frame design stamped by an engineer.
Yes that is under passenger cars and light truck inspection. It was added about 10 years ago that the washer had to function or it failed. ( I still have the builtin from the state). Under Subchapter K there is mention of a wiper but does not mention washer to pass. There are so many Grey areas in the PA State inspection book. A lot of it is in how you read it.

terryjr

Yes that is under passenger cars and light truck inspection. It was added about 10 years ago that the washer had to function or it failed. ( I still have the builtin from the state). Under Subchapter K there is mention of a wiper but does not mention washer to pass. There are so many Grey areas in the PA State inspection book. A lot of it is in how you read it.
ya Subchapter K doesn't mention it but the first line says all vehicles in that chapter must comply with E-H depending on vehicles type. We all fit under E.

It really depends on who gets paperwork. The exocet above flew through with a plastic window and pretty sure that wiper is just sitting there lol. The guy I had said he has another inspection for a miata based thing next, I mentioned exocet and he said he thinks so. I think sending this QOA guy might be new norm for "exocars". At least he's a very friendly guy. We talked a little more about stuff and kits. I got the feeling they were going to be a lot more lax on kit cars than scratch builds. Maybe its the higher tax dollars.

terryjr

Reading over E again. I think they can get me on 175.66.n Battery tie down must be device design for that purpose. Guess ill go get on that so I can have a photo ready when they call.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
What if you didn't have a windshield at all? Any law on not having one? (Just for inspection) Helmet with eye protection required though.
Or a wind deflector instead? Still requiring a helmet though.
Do you know if any Ariel Atoms are registered for the street in your state? The models without a full windshield.

terryjr

What if you didn't have a windshield at all? Any law on not having one? (Just for inspection) Helmet with eye protection required though.
Or a wind deflector instead? Still requiring a helmet though.
Do you know if any Ariel Atoms are registered for the street in your state? The models without a full windshield.
PA requires 12" high winshield. How its measured is another gray area

I know of an Atom locally but it's not registered. Belongs to a younger fella who seems to have enough bank account to cover any fines.

terryjr

All winshield glass needs to be laminated safety glass. As1 or ANSI Z26.1 Laminated Safety Plate

Its not as hard as it sounds. Just need glass guy to get you the cert or simply get the glass cut from a piece that already says AS1.

terryjr

Had my 3rd inspection Friday. Went well. I think i might get my title this week or next but so far i have learned for PA anyway:

-Windshield glass must be laminated, doesnt need to be marked as long as you have a ANSI Z26.1/AS1 cert to back it up.
-The parking/marker lights need to be clearly visible from Front/Rear and Sides, the sliver of clear that lets light out the side on trailer/motor cycle type lights wont cut it. Same goes for reflectors.
-Heims are ok, I dont have them but asked for you guys
-You'll need one wiper that self parks and a washer of some type
-Engine Cover, obviously
-Bumpers, Fenders. I assume your guys fenders are hub mounted, if chassis mounted make sure theres plenty of clearence.

The rest from what i can see in Goblin pics should be ok. But I can't really see what's between engine and back of seats. PennDot doesn't want any liabilty so even if it's not in code, they will try and find safety things. I can see them being concerned with minimal fire protection from motor

Last edited: