Not much luck on donors around AZ

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Having a hell of a time finding a donor here in AZ. Before I knew what these cars normally sell for I passed up a 2008 turbo with 82k miles and very slight rear damage; it went for 3k (plus fees) at the auction. A 2009 (no damage dealer only) with 45k miles sold at same auction the week after for $4250 (plus fees). I haven't seen a single SS auction in AZ since.

I've ultimately settled for a S/C model. All of the SS S/C Cobalts for sale private owner within 500 miles of me are all over 100k miles on rebuilt titles, yet these kids expect $5000 to $6000 for most of them. I guess NADA and KBB are out the window these days.

I was hoping to find something trashed and cheap enough that I could just put a short block in and rebuild the heads. I've got no problem spending $4-5k on my donor to have a solid one.

I am thinking I will need to bite the bullet and spend around $3500 initially for a decent enough 06-07 S/C car that I could later part out to make my money back. I am also picky in the fact that it must be a G85.

Last week I almost bought a running, non licensed 2007 S/C for $2500, only to find out the kid had a title from 3 owners ago and no legit proof that he actually owned it.

I search facebook, craigslist, copart and iaai every day. Any other suggestions?

Balphamore

When I was looking around at Cobalts here in Phoenix. I looked on offer up. There was as manual trans. Think they wanted 4200. So check there. Just reinstalled the offer up app again. And there are several sc cars. I didn't look to see if they had a turbo. So give that a shot. Saw a 07 Cobalt for 4k. Manual trans too. Didn't say it had been sold yet. So maybe you'll have some luck there.

Last edited:

rallyracer

I own a 2007 SS/SC - G85 (GM stage 2 kit) with a little over 100k miles.

It has a clean title and I'm the original and only owner. She still runs just fine. The car does need and alignment issues clear up and I have outstanding recalls from GM that need to be completed. LOL

I haven't driven the car much these last few years and it's crossed my mind many times to just sell it. I've had many good times with this car at many event over the years so I have this **** attachment to this old girl. ha

I had planned to build a DF kit car myself but have been considering going a different route now.

I don't think I could get my self to sell it for any less thank $5K.

I have 3 sets of wheel/tires for it. (winters on saab wheels, grippy daily drivers on the stock ss/sc wheels and track slicks good for auto-x or road course on a second set of stock ss/sc wheels)

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Well, I found a car. 2006 SS S/C. Has the G85 package. Kid said it developed a rod knock so he decided to part it out. It has everything I'll need minus the ac compressor, wheels & hubs, and intake/supercharger. Buying for $300.

Going to go pick it up on Saturday and get it on my trailer with the creative use of 2 floor jacks, 4 dollys and a 4k winch.

I will go through the engine right away. If the block is salvageable, I may just put whatever internals are required in. ZZP is selling new short blocks for $2000 which could likely put me at the same price point of a rebuild.

Thank you, Balphamore. I actually ended up finding this car where you suggested.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Yeah, crazy; I had forgotten all about OU. Going to most likely go with the city / full setup.

Balphamore

Hey Brian, mind me asking what part of Phoenix your in? From what I have seen of the builders on here. That will be pretty slick. Look forward to seeing your build progress.

theeulogy

I just got my donor from Copart, a 2007 SS. I had $950 in it before fees, it has light damage and right at 109k on the clock.

David

Well at least you had luck and found one in AZ because here in NJ no luck I was suppose to pick up one tomorrow from Craig list and tbe last time I spoke to him was Wednesday now no where to be found but that's life lots of scammers out there