Ohio Registering

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't think that Ohio would be to bad. Next door in PA we have some hoops to jump through but nothing that can't be done.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I still haven't found any cut and dry requirements for Ohio registration. Things like bumpers, windshields, wipers, factory seat belts, etc... not sure if the factory Goblin windscreen will work either. KJP and another guy named Carl on Facebook are the only ones that I know of working towards a build in Ohio. If anybody has any info, please respond. Thanks!

KJP

I have yet to find a specific list either. They have very little self titled information on their site.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Certainly not from Ohio so I cant help with specifics but I've been looking on well known kit car forum (TheFactoryFiveForum.com) for answers. I joined their forum today and plan on asking some people who have went through the process.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Found the Ohio Laws site: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513

It looks like we are required to use "safety glass" and windshield wipers. This makes things harder for us Ohioans. Any suggestions?

4513.26 Safety glass required for new vehicles.

(A) No person shall sell any new motor vehicle nor shall any new motor vehicle be registered, and no person shall operate any motor vehicle, which is registered in this state and which has been manufactured or assembled on or after January 1, 1936, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with safety glass wherever glass is used in the windshields, doors, partitions, rear windows, and windows on each side immediately adjacent to the rear window.

"Safety glass" means any product composed of glass so manufactured, fabricated, or treated as substantially to prevent shattering and flying of the glass when it is struck or broken, or such other or similar product as may be approved by the registrar of motor vehicles.

Glass other than safety glass shall not be offered for sale, or sold for use in, or installed in any door, window, partition, or windshield that is required by this section to be equipped with safety glass.

4513.24 Windshield and windshield wipers.

(A) No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equipped with a windshield.

(B)

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle, other than a bus, with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side, or rear windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law, except that there may be in the lower left-hand or right-hand corner of the windshield a sign, poster, or decal not to exceed four inches in height by six inches in width. No sign, poster, or decal shall be displayed in the front windshield in such a manner as to conceal the vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle when, in accordance with federal law, that number is located inside the vehicle passenger compartment and so placed as to be readable through the vehicle glazing without moving any part of the vehicle.

(2) Division (B)(1) of this section does not apply to a person who is driving a passenger car with an electronic device, including an antenna, electronic tolling or other transponder, camera, directional navigation device, or other similar electronic device located in the front windshield if the device meets both of the following:

(a) It does not restrict the vehicle operator's sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals.

(b) It does not conceal the vehicle identification number.

(3) Division (B)(1) of this section does not apply to a person who is driving a commercial car with an electronic device, including an antenna, electronic tolling or other transponder, camera, directional navigation device, or other similar electronic device located in the front windshield if the device meets both of the following:

(a) It does not restrict the vehicle operator's sight lines to the road and highway signs and signals.

(b) It is mounted not more than six inches below the upper edge of the windshield and is outside the area swept by the vehicle's windshield wipers.

(C) The windshield on every motor vehicle, streetcar, and trackless trolley shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or other moisture from the windshield. The device shall be maintained in good working order and so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the operator of the vehicle, streetcar, or trackless trolley.

(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

kalishek

Vehicle does not have a windshield. So safety glass is not required. Has a wind deflector. Otherwise all motorcycles would require windshields of safety glass. Read between the lines (or lies). 8D If your state inspector gives you grief, remove wind deflector, or use plastidip to temporary make it opaque. Good luck.

PyroGuy923

Anything new on this? Looking to get my kit ordered and wanting to know what I need to make it street legal.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Just asked someone that does inspections in Ohio and she said that a windshield with safety glass and a windshield wiper is required.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Did they specify that the wiper had to be electric? Jeep glass and a mechanical wiper, could pass you.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
Did they specify that the wiper had to be electric? Jeep glass and a mechanical wiper, could pass you.
I could be any style wiper, just has to be on there for inspection she said, just like Harleys have baffles in the tailpipe that usually disappear right after they are inspected.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I posted this a few months ago:

As far as fenders needed in Ohio, I would double check that... Dune buggies are allowed in Ohio and they don't have fenders. I verified this with a phone call to the Bucyrus, OH Inspection Office last year, so unless something has changed, you don't need fenders, bumpers or a windshield. They said you must have eye protection... so I would definitely do your own research so you don't have to base your wheel decision on fenders. :) I don't think anyone has registered a Goblin in Ohio yet... at least no one that frequents this forum. Most likely you'll be done before I will, so please share with your fellow Ohioan.

I plan on going to the Bucyrus, OH Inspection Office for two reasons: 1.) because of what they told me above and 2.) it is a much further drive to get to my inspection appointment. :) I could not find anything online pertaining to this and I still haven't heard anyone that has a titled Goblin in Ohio at this time.

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
I posted this a few months ago:

As far as fenders needed in Ohio, I would double check that... Dune buggies are allowed in Ohio and they don't have fenders. I verified this with a phone call to the Bucyrus, OH Inspection Office last year, so unless something has changed, you don't need fenders, bumpers or a windshield. They said you must have eye protection... so I would definitely do your own research so you don't have to base your wheel decision on fenders. :) I don't think anyone has registered a Goblin in Ohio yet... at least no one that frequents this forum. Most likely you'll be done before I will, so please share with your fellow Ohioan.

I plan on going to the Bucyrus, OH Inspection Office for two reasons: 1.) because of what they told me above and 2.) it is a much further drive to get to my inspection appointment. :) I could not find anything online pertaining to this and I still haven't heard anyone that has a titled Goblin in Ohio at this time.
Yeah I've heard Troy or Bucyrus, but definitely not Findlay which is where this inspector works.

My God what are you guys waiting on? :D:D
Waiting on Jeff to go first, can't show up someone in the 90s by registering 151 first.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
My God what are you guys waiting on? :D:D
I know, right!!! :D This month I ordered NRG seats, next month it should be Rigid taillights, the following month a steering wheel and other odds and ends. After Christmas will be wheels and tires and stage 3 items. It is slowly coming along. :)

Last edited:

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Yup, it's definitely not a race. I planned for completion for summer of '22 for my build, but surprised myself in how quickly it came together. Not done yet, but if I continued to push, I'd be registering it before it cools off outside.