P2261 CODE

Amack1970

So I'm new to the turbo world. I've been working some bugs out of my 2010 cobalt ss. I've had to replace the transmission, and opt'd to pick up a zzp complete motor during black friday. Anyways, everything is back on the car and I've driven the car about 200 miles. I'm getting this p2261 code now. I thought maybe it was a soft code, so I cleared the code and it comes back on after a few miles. Can any LNF guys help me out with this. I swapped everything over so I'm capable for repairing it, if I know what to go after. Thanks View attachment 6857

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I would check all of your vacuum lines and the solenoid on top of the intake manifold. The solenoid should have three lines connected to it. I believe one connects to engine vacuum, one that goes to the physical bypass valve on the turbo, and one that goes to the throttle body pipe right next to the pressure/temp sensor.

I might not be 100% correct on where they all run. I'm trying to visualize my engine while sitting here at work.

Amack1970

Briann1177 you are correct about the intake lines. One goes into the pass. side of the turbo to the intake solenoid. The other two lines go down below the fuel injectors to a vacuum canister. I was just feeling around on the canister and found one of the lines came loose from the canister. I've plugged it back in, but I wonder if a hose clamp or fastener should be on that line?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Also, a lot of people bypass the vacuum canister. If the check valve in it leaks, then it could possibly cause issues with the solenoid.

nicholas tiratsuyan

I ended up putting the canister in my turbo car, which made the check engine light turn off and the car to run better. If you would preffer to not use the canister you can get a tuner to tune your car and disable the evap system which will alse get rid of the check engine lights.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Not having the canister itself installed won't directly cause any check engine lights or affect the tune. It's only purpose is to provide instant vacuum to the solenoid instead of waiting for the vacuum to develop in the intake when you let off the throttle. You can run a straight vacuum line from intake to solenoid with no obvious, short term adverse effects.

It's debatable on whether the canister is of any value. Some people think it's not really necessary and its just another layer of complexity that can break and cause issues. With that said, I kept mine installed because I'm not smarter than the GM engineers who designed it.

Last edited:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
John and Brian
I think you two may be talking about two different canisters.
Brian you are referring to the small one that is below the intake and hooked to the block.
John I think you are talking about the larger one that was near the cobalt gas tank.