Painting the gas tank?

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Powdered my tank to protect the aluminum from corrosion and discoloration.
It won't stay that bright and shiny by itself without work. It'll discolor over time.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I put some clear coat on it. May end up painting it if needed, but for now, it's aluminum.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I had the DF guys coat mine with protective paint. They actually did a whole bunch of the parts for me.

Parson Green

Your responses are greatly appreciated! Have decided to paint the thing with Rustoleum textured paint (7220830) from a spray can.

Am now wondering if anyone has a functioning EVAP system on their Goblin and whether they would recommend same to others.

askiles

Goblin Guru
I left mine unpainted, and wiped it down with some ProtectaClear meant for uncoated metals. I did this with all of the aluminum panels on my car. I wanted a raw metal finish to most of it. Love it. It’s kind of a theme carried throughout the build. The car is also wrapped in a brushed metal finish vinyl.

Parson Green

Great looking car you've got there, Andy.

We also are leaving our sheet-aluminum items unpainted but the tank will be black (textured).

Am wondering how you did the routing of the coolant lines for your supercharger. My plans had included using the fitting with the filler cap (i.e., the fitting from the donor) in its stock location but am now realizing, after looking at one of your pics, that there's insufficient room for that.

Last edited:

askiles

Goblin Guru
Great looking car you've got there, Andy.

We also are leaving our sheet-aluminum items unpainted but the tank will be black (textured).

Am wondering how you did the routing of the coolant lines for your supercharger. My plans had included using the fitting with the filler cap (i.e., the fitting from the donor) in its stock location (i.e., attached to the sc snout) but am now realizing, after looking at one of your pics, that there's insufficient room for that.
I have the ZZP dual pass side plate so the routing is a little like spaghetti, but came out pretty good. I used as little hose as possible and short run, then I ran the hose to a small aluminum reservoir that I had my shop make up. You can see it in this pic...

Attachments

Parson Green

Pics I've subsequently viewed indicate that there may be enough space for the above-mentioned fitting (which others call a sight glass) to be squeezed in after all. If true, our car's cooler plumbing will look a lot like what came off the donor. That is, until it connects to the DF-provided lines that run forward in the tunnel. No nice reservoir like yours but, here's hoping, good enough for now. Thanks!