PHerder's Track Frame with lower entry bars

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Paul,
Sorry for the delay.
If you have trouble getting hold of us feel free to call me anytime.
My cell number is 214-334-0232.

As with any company we are constantly trying to improve our product. We want to give you the latest improvements when we ship your second stage.

The latest change is with front suspension.

The 8.5 degree caster angle that we recommend has better steering feedback but positions the steering arm too low.

We have made new steering arms and drilled a second hole in the uprights that position the tie rod higher.

We will start shipping the new parts to you and everyone that has the old style in the next couple of weeks.

Again sorry for the delay.
Lonny

PHerder

Here is the wiring harness that was used on the Atom with the 2007 SS/SC engine. Note, no BCM module.

IMG_20170917_142229.jpg
IMG_20170917_142216.jpg

Don't know if I will use it since without the BCM I cannot get the cruise control to work. Plus there is a bunch of stuff on this wiring harness that I do not understand what it does. An example is a momentary switch in the dash wiring and no ignition key switch. Most of the wiring ends are labeled but without an Ariel Atom wiring diagram, it will probably be easier to just use the Cobalt wiring harness with this PCM since this PCM had the ZZP Stage 2 tune in it.

PHerder

Paul, I've got the 2006 Ariel Owner's Manual online.
David, Thanks! It showed me a bunch of stuff on the instrument panel and that it has an Immobiliser Unit that I do not have the key fob for so it looks like I cannot use any of this wiring/dash/etc. unless the PO has sent it to me and I haven't found it in the first package. Engine/trans is supposed to be here this week.

Also found out what the momentary switch is for... programming the dash!

I believe I will stick with the Cobalt wiring...

Also, that owner's manual states that they supply several stages for the GM LSJ engine so I don't know if it is the ZZP tune or just the GM version. I will measure the SC pulley so see if it is smaller than stock and look at the fuel injectors so see what is there.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
My ZZP tuned ECM had a sticker on the back with the information. You can easily tell of the pulley has been changed because the OEM is pressed on. The ZZP pulleys are mounted to hub that is pressed on the shaft (2-piece system). I verified my injectors by doing a search on the numbers on the side of them and found them to be 60# to match that of what was on the sticker of the ECM.

DSCN0867.JPG

PHerder

No sticker on my ECM :( It just has a "Stage 2" written on it with permanent marker. Must be something Ariel Atom does to the system when they install the LSJ engine.

Will research more once the engine/trans shows up.

Tony

We have made new steering arms and drilled a second hole in the uprights that position the tie rod higher.

We will start shipping the new parts to you and everyone that has the old style in the next couple of weeks.
Sorry to thread jack, but can you explain that a little more Lonny? I just received my steering arms last week, so I assume they're the new style, but not sure about the uprights since I got them with my original shipment a few months ago. Can you show/explain the difference? If it's nothing too major, I'll update them myself to save trouble/time.

PHerder

My "14k" mile stage 2 SC engine has been delivered. I am glad I didn't have it delivered to my house, my small Kubota BX23 tractor with the pallet forks does not have the umpf to lift the engine/transmission on the pallet. It was delivered to a business job site where they had a LARGE forklift in use (putting up roof framing trusses on) so putting the pallet on my trailer wasn't a problem. What was a problem was getting the @#$%@# thing OFF the trailer! I finally did and got it on to a furniture dolly so I can move it around the shop.

First thing is the long tube header with the wrap around exhaust.
00002IMG_00002_BURST20170921134035.jpg

Don't know how they ran the belt as it is, it would rub on itself coming off the SC pulley AND this belt is too short to even do that! (At least I couldn't get it to mount on the SC pulley!) :eek:

I don't know if it shows on the picture but it has a ZZP 2.9 pulley on the SC which goes along with the PO telling me that it has a Stage 2 tune. I still need to pull the injectors to see what size they are. Also there is next to the exhaust a oil separator instead of the system used on the stock engine. I will have to replace the Atom mounts as they are not even close to what the stock/Goblin uses. I believe I have the ZZP stage 2 tune that Atom purchased and then copied to their production run of Atom 2.0 SC engined powered cars thus the reason there isn't a ZZP sticker on the PCM. That is my story and I am sticking to it! ;)

00002IMG_00002_BURST20170921134113.jpg

Here you can see several things changed. One is the throttle body is mounted 180 degrees from stock. It is still a stock TB, just mounted rotated.

Engine came without the SC coolant system but did include an external system. I don't see the pump and am guessing that wasn't included.

There is also an external oil filter and engine oil cooler radiator as seen below.

It will be interesting to see how I can mount this engine and its special options to the Goblin. I think it would be worth the trouble.

IMG_20170921_134052.jpg

Now to rest and take pain meds since I took out my back getting the engine off the trailer and into my shop. :mad:

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Thats awesome! could probably figure out a way to mount the muffler to the rear cross member on the frame that would look amazing.

PHerder

In case anyone is interested in finding this header... This is imprinted on the mounting flange: "HyTech"

Web site: http://www.hytechexhaust.com/home.html

A quick look does not show any headers for the LSJ engine or the Atom listed.

One warning... I do not know if it will fit the Goblin frame and it will probably be a while before I fit the engine to the frame. YMMV.

IMG_20170921_172305.jpg

JSATX

Goblin Guru
In case anyone is interested in finding this header... This is imprinted on the mounting flange: "HyTech"

Web site: http://www.hytechexhaust.com/home.html

A quick look does not show any headers for the LSJ engine or the Atom listed.

One warning... I do not know if it will fit the Goblin frame and it will probably be a while before I fit the engine to the frame. YMMV.

View attachment 1846
Just send it my way Ill find out for ya ;)

BAR-AIR

That header looks really similar to the off-road headers used on the sand rails with the Ecotec conversions. Another header that has a pretty good price are the ram horns for the Polaris Slingshots it also raises the flange a little higher then the ones advertised for the Cobalt Ecotec engines.

Drtye

HyTech is a very well known maker of custom and performance exhausts, to commission one to be made would be in the neighborhood of 1000-15000, nice find dude.

PHerder

Notice anything different?

Started swapping parts from the donor engine to this one to bolt into the Goblin and found a problem. :(

Seems the stock trans mount and the Atom long tube header have a disagreement on space. :mad: Main conflict is the top mounting bolt/flange of the trans mount. I am looking into a steel mount the would not interfere with the long tube header but still would use the stock trans mount.

So for now, I have mocked up the ZZP shorty header for fitment checks.

I did swap out the transmission shifting arms as the ones on this transmission were custom for the Atom.

IMG_20170923_160550.jpg

Johvans

Let me know if you'd like to sell either header.

I know Lonny has some flat plate steel rear trans mounts in CAD that he might be able to provide.

John

PHerder

Exploring modifying the stock transmission rear mount but was wondering what was attached to it (besides the transmission) where the two top holes are?

Modified_Trans_mount.jpg

Since I didn't take any pictures of the transmission on the cradle (removed cradle before taking out the engine/trans), I don't remember what was attached to those holes. The upper right hole is threaded whereas the lower right hole is just a hole (wiring harness plastic mounting location?)

I think I can get this mount to work if I cut the red area out of the mount hopefully without losing too much strength...

I believe I can then use this mount with the long tube header.

Can anyone take a look at their donor car with the 5 speed transmission and see what is attached to this mount (other than the engine cradle rubber mount and the transmission)?

PHerder

Well, I ordered another bracket to replace this one JUST IN CASE I totally mess this one up. Yup, I cut it up to fit it.

IMG_20170925_153708.jpg

A little more grinding to make it look good and I believe it will work! If not, I do have another replacement bracket coming. Cheap insurance!

And now for something interesting from the Atom modified motor. This is the stock front belt and pulley system.

IMG_20170925_155943.jpg

This is the Atom's version. Notice it gets rid of the A/C compressor but using a different tensioner system! Also a much shorter belt that has the ribs only on one side. Not only is the tensioner different but the idle pulley is positioned outboard of the alternator.

IMG_20170925_155858.jpg

I'll see if there is any GM part numbers on those parts. It is a neat way to do away with the A/C compressor! (Once I figured out how the belt was actually ran!) :eek: Sorry, no parts numbers visible and the bracket for the idle pulley was custom.

One thing I just checked on, the alternator is being driven counterclockwise as opposed to clockwise on the stock setup. I don't think it matters.

Last edited: