Powder-Coated Frame

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Is powder coating the frame standard or optional? I looked all over the website and cold not find an answer. Thank you!

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Most people do it locally unless you are picking it up from them. I believe shipping costs go WAY up.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Most of the powder coating I have seen is pretty chip-resistant. I know Factory Five and Brunton (Stalker) will ship powder coated frames, and I have not seen any complaints on their forums about chipped coatings.

lksohm

I am having DF coat mine. I haven't been able to find anyone with an oven to do this size of job locally. I doubt I'd save any money by having it done near me anyway.

RichN

Optional. I had DF do mine $800 for metallic (base coat, candy coat) or $500 for standard color. I picked mine up. Not sure if the prices have changed.

lksohm

I will be picking mine up.
I am about 100 miles past the 650 that they will deliver to. That and I think it will be a fun road trip to see where they’re made.
I haven’t decided on a color yet. Either a red or a blue.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
In my area powder coat costs $900-1500......so their prices are fair. Factory 5 gives you one option, white......so that isn't really compairable.... 99% sure that DF outsorces the PC so it isn't about them being "poud of their work"

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
In my area powder coat costs $900-1500......so their prices are fair. Factory 5 gives you one option, white......so that isn't really compairable.... 99% sure that DF outsorces the PC so it isn't about them being "poud of their work"
Oh OK. If it's outsourced then I can understand. Actually FF normally does ONLY black; white goes on their competition frames. Thank you for the reply.

Nilbog

Im more than happy to help others get their parts coated if they want to haul them to MN. I charge but cost of powder (plus some extra for me) and a $20 hopper to keep my colors separate. I've only done single stage coats so far but am ordering my first illusion color to practice.

Last edited:

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
DF doesn’t do the powder coating. So they have to pay for it and all of the logistics to get it there and back so there is going to be some mark up along the way. I’ve heard of quotes much higher from coaters alone.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Oh OK. If it's outsourced then I can understand. Actually FF normally does ONLY black; white goes on their competition frames. Thank you for the reply.
Sorry was going off of their website and the 818R just showed white. My point is they dont offer any options, probably do it in house, and their kits are much more expensive....so how nice of them to offer such a great price.... :)

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Sorry was going off of their website and the 818R just showed white. My point is they dont offer any options, probably do it in house, and their kits are much more expensive....so how nice of them to offer such a great price.... :)
Good points! LOL Yeah, cheaper powder coat, fancier kits! Though to be honest their kits are a LOT more sophisticated than these are. Different animals...

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
Agreed, which is why I dont compare prices for options. I love the simplicity of this kit, it is the reason I chose it.......oh and 260+ easily obtainable HP.