powder-coating discussion

Parson Green

Persuasive/enlightening comments here from both schools of thought ...

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I believe there is another thread about powdercoating, or at least one that mentions this.

At least one person has mentioned they regret painting their frame due to paint chips here and there. I went the powdercoating route. I have found it to be pretty durable, I am sure I have some scratches or chips in some places but I am also sure that I would have them if it was painted.

I think if you were planning to paint it yourself, you'd be able to do it cheaper than paying a shop to do the frame since its so large.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
There is a 3rd choice, POR15. This stuff is tough and will not chip or crack. It goes on as paint, but is as tough as powder coat under most conditions. Nice thing is, you can do this yourself if you have basic painting skills and don't need an oven big enough to park a car into. Once cured, the POR gets a surface coat - 2 part epoxy paint is the toughest recommendation - that can be any color. Just something to think about as another option for frame and parts finishing. :)

Parson Green

Por15 sounds very interesting! Especially at a price of less than $50/qt.

Do you have any idea of the vol. of paint required to paint a frame?

Am presently leaning towards some decent kind of metallic enamel sprayed on by a local shop. Nothing that special.

Plus, the car will never see a salt-treated road nor be parked out in the open.

lksohm

Just my $0.02.
I am currently struggling with the shop I had powder coat my kit. It took 61 days from the time I dropped my parts off til they were ready because they had major issues with their new oven. When I got the frame home I noticed nasty lines in the coat.
20190622_130133.jpg20190622_155352.jpg

Because powder coat cannot be touched up like paint, the whole chassis has to be basted down to bare steel and recoated.
Other than these spots I love the look of a good powdercoat job. He only charged $450 for coating everything but I wish I would have had it coated by DF. Just my personal experience is all.
20190623_203537.jpg

lksohm

I was told that their work was warrantied.
I do know that I won't be paying them any more.

I don't want to derail this thread too far, just wanted to give an example. I personally prefer powdercoat but unless you know of a very reputable shop I would have the DF guys have their shop do the work. I have not seen a word of complaint about their work, and you can start assembly right away.