Powder Coating the Valve Cover

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Guys, how are you cleaning/prepping your valve cover for powder coating? My guy won't sand blast it for good reason of not wanting to get sand in it since there is the non-removable baffle on the inside and sand can get caught in there (never good for an engine). I took it to another place that has chemical baths but they still media blast it and they said they tried it once and found a bunch of sludge lodged in the baffle that would attract sand. And they didn't want to touch it either. I did find a soda blaster but he said the labor to set up the equipment would cost at least $100 to clean it with soda.

There is always a task that just seems to stick :)

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I bought a soda blaster at harbor freight last year, I think it was 40$ and works super good but you need a decent compressor.

The media runs like 36$ for 50 lb

Or drive up here and you can use mine just buy more soda.

Nuker

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I bought a soda blaster at harbor freight last year, I think it was 40$ and works super good but you need a decent compressor.

The media runs like 36$ for 50 lb

Or drive up here and you can use mine just buy more soda.

Nuker
How much media do you think it would take to do the valve cover? I assume you have a compressor to do it with?

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Yep I have a compresser I’m guessing it would take less than 10lbs I might have enough left in the bag tbh.

Nuker

KJP

Nuker do you have a link to the blaster you are using? I have one I picked up there years ago and it does not work well so I may have to pick up a different one.

Tony

FWIW, I wanted to PC the valve cover, but ended up just painting it because there's no good way to get the braided hose off without cutting it and having to replace it. It might survive PC temps, but I didn't want to risk it.

KJP

Thanks nuker I picked one up today.
Time to start stripping down some parts.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
That’s surprising. I’m sure it has a lot to do with temp/hose length etc.

mine turned into mud soup.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Hey guys, sorry to bring up a dated thread. But, what gallon / psi tank are you guys using?

I've got the 8gal, harbor freight, I believe its 125psi max. Would this be suitable?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Hey guys, sorry to bring up a dated thread. But, what gallon / psi tank are you guys using?

I've got the 8gal, harbor freight, I believe its 125psi max. Would this be suitable?
What is the CFM rating of your compressor? That gives the total volume of air supplied continuously. It really has a lot to do with the volume capacity of the compressor itself than the tank and max PSI.

You might be able to use the blaster but it would only be for short periods as the tank refills and in doing that it would be running constantly and overheat.

I had a 80 gallon 240V compressor (I don't remember the CFM, but it will handle about anything).

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
What is the CFM rating of your compressor? That gives the total volume of air supplied continuously. It really has a lot to do with the volume capacity of the compressor itself than the tank and max PSI.

You might be able to use the blaster but it would only be for short periods as the tank refills and in doing that it would be running constantly and overheat.

I had a 80 gallon 240V compressor (I don't remember the CFM, but it will handle about anything).
Yeah, thats what I was afraid of. Mine says its 4.5 @ 90, 5.5 @ 40 (8 Gallons, 125 Max, 2 HP)

My engine has plenty corrosion on it, so I was hoping the soda blaster would take care of it.

KJP

I think there may have been a chart with compressor size on the box when I got mine but don't quote me on that. My general rule of thumb is just watch your psi and give it time to catch up and you won't run into issues.