Pre-Coating Frame Weld-On Options

KSLunsfo

Hey guys,

I thought this may be a useful thread for others early in the build phase. It seems difficult early on to know what modifications/additions one might like to do until doing a near full assembly of the car. Unless doing a dry fit of everything first, this means the frame is already coated and modifications/welding are less ideal at that point (but not impossible of course).

I've been reading through some of the build threads and collecting a list of these for myself to consider before I take the coating step.

I understand some of these may have been early DF options and some may even be standard on every frame built now. I definitely don't have all the info on the few options I have found so far. Not to say I'm planning on adding all or any of these myself, but I was hoping to start a conversation with others further along and more experienced with the whole process that have additional ideas/inputs they're willing to share on this topic including items on the list I have started. I've added links and names for what I can remember or manage to find again.

So far the list I have:
-"oh $h!t" handle on the passenger side
-Left foot rest on drivers side (JeffsGoblin)
-Permanent mounting bracket for fuse box
-Additional floor support (Karter2026)
-Weld in nuts for assembly of tunnel cover (maybe others)(Karter2026)
-Additional tabs for panels
-Additional tabs on sides for 'internal' side panels (DCMoney)
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/body-mods.1071/#post-18951
-Brackets/tabs for license plate (already standard?)
-Common grounding lug(s) (already standard?)
-Modifications for after market seats?
-Additional bar/s for connecting 5 point harness (had to do with proper angle of the straps)
http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/welding-in-another-cross-member-behind-seats-for-racing-harness.1093/

I can try to come back and update this from time to time, but I've found it hard to take time digging through pages and pages of build threads lately. Hopefully this can serve as a localized spot for weld-in add-ons.

Ross

Goblin Guru
-I used rivnuts for my licence plate, and tunnel cover. Rear firewall too, but rivets might be just as good there.
-Left foot rest would interfer with the clutch, as the side bar on the frame is already too close. But I use that as my foot rest. I am considering furring out the side panels to leave room for my left foot rest.
-3 Common grounding lugs came standard on my frame. (Below fusebox, side of battery box, side of Cobalt gas/brake sub assembly.)
-I would like some Oh $h!t handles for the passenger, but I don't like the dash mounted handlebars. I was thinking some seat frame mounted ones like on the old Subaru Brat rear seats.

Then again, I used paint so that I can change things. Like the RSX shifter I am currently installing, and the adjustable steering that I kept from the Cobalt. That video also shows me using the frame as a left foot rest.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Lol, I have a similar list... Lemme see if I can find it... Ah, yes. Here it is:

WELD TABS:

wiring ziptie bungs
Switch panel mounts
Junct blocks
Console panel mounts
Floor enforcement
Ctsy lights
3rd brake light
Side panel mounts
License plate mount
Fuse box
Fog lights
grounding lugs
HE resorvoir(?)
Fuel filter(?)
Back up/reverse cam(?)
Rear view mirror(?)
Ground lug for engine ground cable

Still working on my list. Stuck right now until I can go pick up my stage 3 and do a full and proper mock-up.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I'm battling the aftermarket seat item as we speak. I don't know how guys can drill / mount the seat before getting steering / pedals / shifter in - it's a gamble.

The way the floor supports are set up, if you ever plan on going to aftermarket seats you basically have to get it welded and or use long aircraft L brackets with tall spacers to get the right height. Then you get to deal with the distance away from the shifter and how high the steering wheel sits. The Goblin is definitely built with the stock seats in mind.

KSLunsfo

I'm battling the aftermarket seat item as we speak. I don't know how guys can drill / mount the seat before getting steering / pedals / shifter in - it's a gamble.

The way the floor supports are set up, if you ever plan on going to aftermarket seats you basically have to get it welded and or use long aircraft L brackets with tall spacers to get the right height. Then you get to deal with the distance away from the shifter and how high the steering wheel sits. The Goblin is definitely built with the stock seats in mind.
I'm thinking I may just opt for the Corbeau's with the DF supplied install components when the time comes for that reason... But I'm thinking I'll run the stock SS seats initially. My understanding is that their Corbeau kit is supposed to be bolt in.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I'm thinking I may just opt for the Corbeau's with the DF supplied install components when the time comes for that reason... But I'm thinking I'll run the stock SS seats initially. My understanding is that their Corbeau kit is supposed to be bolt in.
Yes the Corbeau bolt right in with the DF supplied($) metal brackets.

Nuker-

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
To get back to the subject of this thread, I have an extensive list of items that will require pre-painting fitting to determine how to mod the frame to accommodate custom items on my TC build. Some of these are already listed above, but others may be a consideration for others contemplating doing similar upgrades:
-Mounts for custom air-to-air intercooler and air-to-water intercooler - not 'stock'
-Custom side pod frames and mounts for air-to-water intercooler heat exchanger(s) - not 'stock'
-Mount for custom air-to-water intercooler expansion tank and water pump(s) - not 'stock'
-Mount for air intake pipe/filter relocation - not 'stock'
-Mount for heat exchanger water spray tank and spray nozzle system
-Mount for oil cooler heat exchanger and ducting
-Mount for fusebox relocation
-Mount(s) for auxiliary driving lights
-Mount for third brake light
-Mounts for side marker/turn signal lights
-Mount for back up light(s)
-Mounts for interior lights
-Mounts for custom seats
-License plate mount and light
-Fuel cap and filler hose relocation (to accommodate the custom side pods)
-Floor (stock) reinforcements
-Front and rear belly pan mounts (enclose bottom of car)
-Frame halo center bar
-Rearview mirror mount
-Frame reinforcement bars/gussets
-Mounts for front wing
-Oh $hit handle(s)
And whatever else comes along as I do my test fitting before painting and final build. :p