Pre-powdercoat concerns

Brian74

Goblin Guru
I’m ordering all of the items I will need prior to powder-coating, such as heat exchanger, switch panels, 3rd brake light, misc brackets... The plan is obviously to mock-up & weld all of the tabs and provisions up to the frame prior so everything gets powder-coated.

Can anyone think of anything else, in hindsight, that they would have had done / welded to the frame prior to powder coating?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
You may decide differently, but i had tabs welded on for attaching the side panels. I also welded extra support for the floor and provisions for my seat.

Thank you. That is in the plan, and I like your example.

Reactions: Dre

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was the same way, before we sent it off to be powder coated, we wanted to prep the frame as much as possible. In the end, there really wasn't much to worry about. Nothing the HAS to be done. Many of my ideas we ended up not needing or doing.

Here is a list that I made for my self.

Frame Modification List​

• Seat mounts Done
  • Fuel filter mount Order fuel filter, find location, design and make out of metal and 3D
  • Light bar on top roll bar Have Kaleb design and cut out of metal
  • Front spoiler mount Weld on tabs on front
  • Tab for fuse box Weld tab on (see image below)
  • Shifter support Don’t believe is necessary
  • Tabs for brake lines Don’t believe is necessary
  • Foot well?
  • License plate Have Kaleb design and make out of metal in class 7” holes on center
Cut out slot for brake line to rear (see video Part 17 end)

We didn't do anything special for the seats in the end because we used the original sliders and adapted them to the new seats.
Did weld a small tab for the fuel filter to mount to.
No light bar - decided to use clamps later that can be changed around
Scrapped the idea of a front spoiler for now
Did weld a tab for the fuse box, but that limited the mounting of the fuse box and it ended up being a bit too low and made it hard to route hoses and wires.
Used extra bolts instead of riveting the tunnel cover and didn't weld and extra support. Some did weld nuts to the inside to use bolt it down.
Didn't add tabs for brake lines
Did add a place to rest the left foot, but found out we never use it
Did weld two tabs on the top of the rear cross bar to mount the license plate

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Thanks. This is my current list:

WELD TABS:

wiring ziptie bungs
Switch panels
Inst panel junct/relay blocks
Fwd seat floor reenforcement (square tube)
Ctsy lights
3rd brake light
Side panel mounts
Licens plate mount
Fuse box
Fog light
Stereo panel(?)
Pax grab handle(?)
Shifter gussets(?)
Fuel filter(?)
Back up/reverse cam(?)
Rear view mirror(?)