Pre-purchasing goblin questions

Lando217

Hey guys! So a few months ago I purchased a 08 ss and it’s been all stripped down and in my free time I’ve been working on the wiring harness and reading as much as possible before I put my order in. These forums are amazing and so many helpfull build logs and post! I yet to start my log but I will ASAP. Had last few questions, when anyone creating there own wiring harness, we’re you confident enough to completely wrap everything? Or did you wrap it enough to keep it together? Just in case you had to work on it during start up. I am fairly confident I got everyone just seeing what everyone had done.
I am literally hours away from putting in an order. I am thinking on getting the extended frame to have some storage room. Any one with an extended frame can vouch that the little bit extra does help with putting stuff behind your seat?
I won’t be doing any racing really with the goblin, probably just some 1/4 track for fun. I really really like the city frame look. But I can understand the safety of the full track frame. Plus I do like the idea of a roof rack and maybe sun shade option. Has anyone ever messed with the idea of something removable that can make it a city to track frame when you want?

Thanks for any ideas guys and I will post some photos soon!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I used TONS of zip ties to keep the harness together. I must have used 300 or more.
Thankfully they're cheap. I didn't wrap anything up until I tested it out. I recommend the same. No good reason not to.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I did not wrap mine either. I was sure that I would change some of it around and I didn't trust myself on getting the lengths right. However those that have, swear that the lengths Lonny provides are spot on. For me I knew that I love the tinker with electrical stuff that I wouldn't be satisfied and would end up modifying things. As it turned out, I didn't really end up modifying it. I left the cigar lighter in so I could use it for charging phones.

To some degree I wish I had it wrapped and 100% done when I went to install it. It was scary with all of the loose wires everywhere and looked like a mess. It took me weeks to finally bring myself to cleaning up the wiring. The main body of it I never did wrap. I used zip ties to hold it together and then put a thin mesh loom over it. I can get back into it pretty easy if I ever need to. See my original build log for more information on them.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/ctuinstras-city-goblin-07-ss-sc-donor-licensed.338/page-6#post-7987

I highly recommend the extended frame so you have a bit more room, especially if you are over 6'. If you are not going to serious track, you don't really need the shorter frame other than to save on the cost. Guarantee you will never say "Gee, I wish I had less room". As far as the city versus track, that's to each and their personal taste. Some have created a cover and that would come in nice from time to time. You can get a serious sunburn after a long day trip.

Lando217

I did not wrap mine either. I was sure that I would change some of it around and I didn't trust myself on getting the lengths right. However those that have, swear that the lengths Lonny provides are spot on. For me I knew that I love the tinker with electrical stuff that I wouldn't be satisfied and would end up modifying things. As it turned out, I didn't really end up modifying it. I left the cigar lighter in so I could use it for charging phones.

To some degree I wish I had it wrapped and 100% done when I went to install it. It was scary with all of the loose wires everywhere and looked like a mess. It took me weeks to finally bring myself to cleaning up the wiring. The main body of it I never did wrap. I used zip ties to hold it together and then put a thin mesh loom over it. I can get back into it pretty easy if I ever need to. See my original build log for more information on them.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/ctuinstras-city-goblin-07-ss-sc-donor-licensed.338/page-6#post-7987

I highly recommend the extended frame so you have a bit more room, especially if you are over 6'. If you are not going to serious track, you don't really need the shorter frame other than to save on the cost. Guarantee you will never say "Gee, I wish I had less room". As far as the city versus track, that's to each and their personal taste. Some have created a cover and that would come in nice from time to time. You can get a serious sunburn after a long day trip.
Thanks for the post. I think I am going to end of wrapping it, I did follow the videos pretty close and read a lot of others TC wiring logs. So why not go for the gold lol. Yea at the end of the day I think I am going to end up with the extended city frame. My likings just keeps coming back to it. I am 6’ on the dot tall and like you said no one complains about extra room. I think it’s really cool some ideas some people get for roof racks. But I think the city frame is a go for me. Super excited to put this order in! Thanks guys!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
These aren't big deals, but the videos don't address where the boost gauge wires and a couple other things like OBD-II and accessory wires need to end up. Also, the lengths and locations of those things is really up to you.

Just something to think about. Might save you a few feet of unwrapping if you change your mind on where things need to go.

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
I wrapped mine........dont wrap yours before testing. I had no issues but I dont believe that I made the right choice.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I did like Briann1177 I used wire ties and some tape but most was left un wrapped. I did a complete mock up to make sure everything functioned. only thing I did not do was put fuel in the tank or coolant in the system.

I have a city chassis I wish I would of went extended just for a little storage room behind the seat. I have a windshield frame that is removable ( it could be made easier than I did it) I can post some pictures when I get home. Also look at Bar-Air's build I did a windshield almost like his just a few minor changes.

Lando217

I did like Briann1177 I used wire ties and some tape but most was left un wrapped. I did a complete mock up to make sure everything functioned. only thing I did not do was put fuel in the tank or coolant in the system.

I have a city chassis I wish I would of went extended just for a little storage room behind the seat. I have a windshield frame that is removable ( it could be made easier than I did it) I can post some pictures when I get home. Also look at Bar-Air's build I did a windshield almost like his just a few minor changes.
Yea thinking about it now I might hold off on wrapping all of it. I prob will do some here and there plus zip ties. That would be great if you could post some pictures! And I will also check out his build. Thanks for the recommendation!