Pre Stage 1 Startup Questions

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Hi all, I have a couple loose ends I would like to get figured out before I try and start the car for the first time.

1. This is on the back drivers side of the car near the harness. Pretty sure its a ground. Its part of the big wire bundle that ends on the positive terminal of the fusebox. I see a spot for a ground below the fusebox (marked in blue, can't really see it) - is this where that goes?

2. What is this guy? Its just part of the main engine harness and I can't find a matching plug anywhere.

Thanks!

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
#4 looks like MAF sensor on intake tube
#1 Does that run up to the fuse box with the metal stud that sticks up with 10mm head on it? If so that goes to big terminal on starter

jirwin

Goblin Guru
#1 Does that run up to the fuse box with the metal stud that sticks up with 10mm head on it? If so that goes to big terminal on starter
For pic #1 if I recall I have 3 lines that have a big end like that. One that's on the starter right now, one that's on the 10mm fusebox stud (top of pic #2), and the one in picture #1. Hence the confusion...

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Is this the MAF sensor plug you're talking about?

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
For pic #1 if I recall I have 3 lines that have a big end like that. One that's on the starter right now, one that's on the 10mm fusebox stud (top of pic #2), and the one in picture #1. Hence the confusion...
The one on the starter now is it coming from the battery?

I just looked at mine the one from the stud on the fuse box goes to the starter.
Is this the MAF sensor plug you're talking about?
View attachment 10447
That is your throttle body plug.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I'm not 100% sure on the battery/starter/ground thing. I'll look tonight and try to provide better information.

I Googled the MAF sensor... and duh that's on the stock intake tube. That makes more sense. Not exactly sure how that works for our purposes though.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I'm not 100% sure on the battery/starter/ground thing. I'll look tonight and try to provide better information.

I Googled the MAF sensor... and duh that's on the stock intake tube. That makes more sense. Not exactly sure how that works for our purposes though.
it will get mounted to the aluminum tube that DF supplied with the kit. There is an arrow on it for air flow direction. Pay attention that arrow points to the throttle body. You do not need the MAF for start up it will run without it.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Aluminum tube? I don't recall seeing one in my kit.... hmmm. Another thing I'll have to look for tonight. Thanks

jirwin

Goblin Guru
One mystery half solved. I found the MAF sensor.

But I don't have the aluminum intake tube to plug it into. Tore my garage apart trying to find one. I opened most boxes to search through them as soon as I got them, and I don't recall ever seeing one. Do you get one for the 2.2L N/A? This is all I have:

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
You can start it up without a MAF sensor. Just don't plug it in.
If you plug it in and don't have air flowing across it it will confused the computer.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
I think I got the 3 wires I was referencing sorted out. I'll try to diagram it as best I can.

I think that's all right... makes sense at least.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That leaves one last plug that I'm unsure of. What is this one used for? I tried searching my diagram but couldn't find anything with light blue, white, and black wires.

baustin

That looks like a radiator fan plug. After snipping 1 light blue lead at the fuse block end and running the wire to the front for the new fan I just left the radiator fan plugs hanging out at the engine.

jirwin

Goblin Guru
That makes sense. I did solder the light blue wire to the one plug in the fusebox. So I'm probably ok.