Production Run 2 - Kit Status List

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
11/10/16 - All kits are accounted for.

Here's a rundown of the kits we have lined up for production run 2. This production run consists of 24 kits: 17 standard length, 6 extended and one off road Goblin prototype frame.

I included the username of the owner and a link to the build log for each kit (if possible). Email me if you don't see your name or log listed.

If you haven't paid the deposit for your order, you will not see your name on the list. You need to get your deposit in soon to lock in your order.

Chassis #11 - DanPerryy from TX

Build thread: Dan Perry - 4" Extended Street
Chassis type: Extended length track with easy entry door bars
Chassis #12 - John from FL
Build thread:
Chassis type: Extended length city with easy entry door bars

Chassis #13 - Errorunknown from TX
Build thread: Tom's Turbo Goblin - 2008 SS Donor
Chassis type: Track
Chassis #14 - Justinreed7 from SC
Build thread: Justin's Big Turbo Build
Chassis #15 - Garrett from FL
Build thread:
Chassis type: City
Chassis #16 - Grundy Area Vocational Center from IL
Build thread:
Chassis #17 - Swift06 from OH
Build thread:
Chassis type: Extended length city
Chassis #18 - AleX1/9 from WA
Build thread: AleX1/9's City Goblin - 07 SS/SC donor
Chassis #19 - RichN from NH
Build thread: RichN City Goblin - 2007 LT donor
Chassis type: City with easy entry door bars
Chassis #20 - PHerder from KS
Build thread:
Chassis type: Track frame with easy entry door bars
Chassis #21 - Bud & Lynda from TX
Build thread:
Chassis type: City with easy entry door bars, Ready to Run Goblin
Chassis #22 - Matt TT from CO
Build thread:
Chassis #23 - TheNuker from MO
Build thread: Nuker's City Goblin build - 2007 SS SC Donor
Chassis #24 - Johvans from TX
Build thread: Johvans - City Goblin - 07 SS donor
Chassis #25 - Steven from SC
Build thread:
Chassis #26 - canyon bolieu from TX
Build thread: Canyons trackframe LSJ-T Htown
Chassis type: Extended length track
Chassis #27 - IowaGoblin from IA, obviously
Build thread:
Chassis #28 - Frank from NH
Build thread:
Chassis #29 - JSATX from TX
Build thread: JS City Goblin - 2010 LS
Chassis #30 - Rushmore Academy from OH
Owner:
Build thread:
Chassis #31 - William from MO
Owner:
Build thread:
Chassis type: Extended length track with easy entry door bars
Chassis #32 - Erik from CT
Build thread:
Chassis #33 - Silverback from TN
Build thread: Silverback's '10 SS long cockpit Track Goblin build
Chassis type: Extended length track
Chassis #34 - DF Goblin AT
Owner: DF Kit Car
Build thread: Goblin AT Prototype - all terrain automatic base model
Chassis type: Off road prototype

Last edited:

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Chassis #16
Yesterday we finished the build up of the frame on the frame jig and then put it on the rotisserie so that we could weld the hard to reach areas. The last welds will be finished this morning and we will do the final inspection.

on frame jig.jpg
rotisserie.jpg

Johvans

Love the list and progress pictures. Any idea of how long it takes you guys to do a frame? If I wanted some additional tabs/brackets welded into the frame is that something that is possible?

Thanks,

John

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Chassis #16 - City Goblin
The last of the mounts, tabs and other features have been attached and the chassis is fully welded. Now it will be inspected with our Rotisserie Inspection Checklist. After that we will temporarily install the floor, front bulkhead and firewall so that we can drill the holes for the rivets so that the customer doesn't have to do that.

Chassis #17 - Swift06's Extended City Goblin
Swift's frame is going together now. At about 10 AM yesterday I changed the jig to the extended frame configuration and started loading pieces starting with the floor assembly, then the main hoop and finally the rear bars of the rear cage. You can see Chassis #16 being welded in the background.

frame jig 1.jpg

By noon the rear cage had been tacked together and the front section of the frame was starting to be jigged up.

frame jig 2.jpg

By the end of the day we had finished welding Chassis #16. Chassis #17 was starting to look whole. We still need to weld in the upper door bars (we've never made extended length upper door bars so we will be making programs to cut and bend these pieces) and all of the 1 inch diagonal tubes.

frame jig 3.jpg

Love the list and progress pictures. Any idea of how long it takes you guys to do a frame? If I wanted some additional tabs/brackets welded into the frame is that something that is possible?

Thanks,

John
When we have all of the tubes cut, bent and ready to go, welding it all together is very fast. Bouncing between Chassis #16 and #17, we were still able to go from tubes to most of a frame in about half a day. There is still quite a bit left on #17 but nothing difficult.

As for custom tabs, it does take extra time and resources to coordinate the location and design of the tabs with the customer so this isn't something we want to offer at this time.

RichN

Looking good Adam thanks for posting progress. I'm stoked mine is "on deck"!
+1
Ours is right after you and also a city frame.
We will have to wait a bit longer as it is being powder coated Granny Smith (Goblin Green Metallic)

RichN

Looking good Adam thanks for posting progress. I'm stoked mine is "on deck"!
The girls and I peeked in on all the work going on yesterday with the cameras.
(BTW Cam02 is just a black screen most of the time.)
It looks like they have started yours. That makes ours "on deck" :)

edit: I just scrolled up the thread after posting this and saw that Adam updated it to state yours was in the jig.

AleX1/9

edit: I just scrolled up the thread after posting this and saw that Adam updated it to state yours was in the jig.
Got an email from Adam, mine is the one on the frame jig at the moment :)

Also downloaded the camera viewer, looks like they moved a big box out of the shop today, maybe #16?

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
The big box that left was #17 heading to Swift06 in Ohio. #16 will ship on Tuesday.

I updated the production list to include the owners' states so that you guys can have an idea of where the kits are going.

BAR-AIR

Adam,
Any updates on the progress for the later stages (stages 2 & 3)? Also, your starting to get a lot of stage 1 builders you have manuals basically just to that point any additions in the near future.

AleX1/9

Caught someone welding my frame on the rotisserie using the shop cameras:

And now it looks like Rich's frame is in the jig, and mine is in a big crate ready to ship!

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
And now it looks like Rich's frame is in the jig, and mine is in a big crate ready to ship!
Your crate will be leaving the shop this afternoon. The frame on the jig is actually for Bud and Lynda. They are local customers that want a turn key car. We are going to get their frame welded out and powder coated so that we can start assembling it on weekends. We are going to make step by step instructional videos as we build it so that you guys can follow the videos instead of relying on just my written instructions.

Adam,
Any updates on the progress for the later stages (stages 2 & 3)? Also, your starting to get a lot of stage 1 builders you have manuals basically just to that point any additions in the near future.
We are going to lay up a handful of fiberglass body panels for the first production run kits. We want to switch to thermoformed ABS body panels for increased consistency but we can't do that at this time.

The instructional videos we make during the turn key build will cover stage 2 as well.

Johvans

Your crate will be leaving the shop this afternoon. The frame on the jig is actually for Bud and Lynda. They are local customers that want a turn key car. We are going to get their frame welded out and powder coated so that we can start assembling it on weekends. We are going to make step by step instructional videos as we build it so that you guys can follow the videos instead of relying on just my written instructions.
This sounds great. Are the step by step instructional video's going to go all the way through the process? (stripping the donor thru stage 1-3)

Can you post a pallete of color options for powder coat? I know we discussed the rose silver (I think that's the name)? I'm thinking I may want a brighter silver? Is this something we go through you guys for? Or should directly contact the company doing the powder coating?

We are going to lay up a handful of fiberglass body panels for the first production run kits. We want to switch to thermoformed ABS body panels for increased consistency but we can't do that at this time.

The instructional videos we make during the turn key build will cover stage 2 as well.
Are the kits listed above considered the first production run kits? I know you mentioned doing a run of stage 2 parts for those that were interested in picking up stage 1 and 2 parts at the same time. Is this still the plan?

I'll be in your neck of the woods the end of this month. I'll get with you before I swing by, but I'm planning on dropping off my hubs and wiring harness then.

John

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
This sounds great. Are the step by step instructional video's going to go all the way through the process? (stripping the donor thru stage 1-3)

Can you post a pallete of color options for powder coat? I know we discussed the rose silver (I think that's the name)? I'm thinking I may want a brighter silver? Is this something we go through you guys for? Or should directly contact the company doing the powder coating?

Are the kits listed above considered the first production run kits? I know you mentioned doing a run of stage 2 parts for those that were interested in picking up stage 1 and 2 parts at the same time. Is this still the plan?

I'll be in your neck of the woods the end of this month. I'll get with you before I swing by, but I'm planning on dropping off my hubs and wiring harness then.

John
The videos will cover the whole process starting with stripping a donor.

As for powder coat colors, it would be best if you would swing by the powder coating shop after you visit us and check out their samples. Based on Google maps, you would drive very close to it on your way to and from our shop.

These kits are second production run. They will be getting thermoformed ABS body panels.

Right now the first stages are going together really well so we are going to focus on those until they are done (14 left including PHerder's on the jig right now). Then we are going to do the fiberglass panels for the first stage guys that are ready for them. Then we will do second stages.

Johvans

The videos will cover the whole process starting with stripping a donor.

As for powder coat colors, it would be best if you would swing by the powder coating shop after you visit us and check out their samples. Based on Google maps, you would drive very close to it on your way to and from our shop.

These kits are second production run. They will be getting thermoformed ABS body panels.

Right now the first stages are going together really well so we are going to focus on those until they are done (14 left including PHerder's on the jig right now). Then we are going to do the fiberglass panels for the first stage guys that are ready for them. Then we will do second stages.
Awesome! The stripping .pdf was very good.

Ok sounds good! I'll plan on doing that!!

Sounds great to me! I'm excited to be so close!! Any ideas of turn around time on powder coating?

John

Johvans

As it gets closer and closer to building my frame I'm thinking more and more about city vs track frame. Is it too late to change it to a track frame now?

I assume the off road prototype is going to be based off of the track frame? Do you have any idea or thoughts on how different the frame may be? I'm wondering if I should get the track frame if there is any chance of buying off road parts at a later date that allow it to be converted from road to off road?

I know we talked about this way back when I visited, but I am hoping it may be possible to buy the bits and pieces to turn a road Goblin into a off road Goblin if that may ever be an option... just some of my thoughts as the time gets closer...

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
As it gets closer and closer to building my frame I'm thinking more and more about city vs track frame. Is it too late to change it to a track frame now?

I assume the off road prototype is going to be based off of the track frame? Do you have any idea or thoughts on how different the frame may be? I'm wondering if I should get the track frame if there is any chance of buying off road parts at a later date that allow it to be converted from road to off road?

I know we talked about this way back when I visited, but I am hoping it may be possible to buy the bits and pieces to turn a road Goblin into a off road Goblin if that may ever be an option... just some of my thoughts as the time gets closer...
The frame is going to be pretty similar to the track frame but it won't be identical. We aren't sure of all of the changes that will be made but one major change is that we will be mounting the radiator at the back. The radiator on the street Goblin is pretty vulnerable for off road use.

We will know a lot more after building the first off road prototype but until then I don't have much more info.

As for your question about powder coating, it is about 1 week turn around time. We recently picked up RichN's frame (goblin green metallic). Next we will be taking PHerder's (Kawasaki green - RAL 6018) and then TheNuker's (gloss black).

Here are a few we've had coated in this batch.

ErrorUnknown's Illusion Blue Track Frame:
errorunknown illusion blue.jpg

JustinReed7's Gloss Black track frame:
justinreed7 black.jpg

RichN's Goblin Green Metallic City Frame with easy entry door bars:
richn goblin green metallic.jpg

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Just wanted to let you guys know what is going on right now and over the next week.

I'll be going to San Francisco for a week starting this Thursday and my parents will be going to Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina this weekend. They will be flat towing P1 behind my dad's Camaro:
camaro towing goblin.jpg

If anyone wants to check out P1 at Tail of the Dragon, let us know.

Since I will be out of town all next week, we decided to weld as many frames together this week as we can. We are attempting to get 4 standard length city frames welded up before leaving work tomorrow evening. Yesterday we did TheNuker's and Steven's frames up to the point of being ready for the rotisserie. Now we are close to having Frank's ready to pull out of the jig. We will have JSATX's frame out of the jig today as well. Then they will go into the rotisserie one at a time for final welding and inspection.

We will resume the production order when I get back from San Francisco, starting with Johvans' track frame.