Rear Coilover adjustment

Indy Lonnie

I am installing my rear BC Racing coilovers and need to know where to set the height of the strut in the body. I installed them in the car as received, and the control arm looks past horizontal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I had a setback and will have a week or so before I can get back to the installation. The knuckle cracked when torquing the tie rod end. $140... and down a week. I guess I needed a rest.

George

Goblin Guru
When you have the car set at right height make sure you have 3-3 1/2" between bump stop and top of shock.
The lower control arm should be a little uphill to the frame.

Brad

Indy Lonnie

This leads to another question. I had this in the coilover kit. I’m assuming they are bump-stop spacers. Does it orient down against the shock body with the bump stop pointed up?
DF4FD532-D4D0-45B3-A6B6-B347CD161DDB.jpeg
5F718A94-E75D-40FD-82AE-0F1058C92232.jpeg
505F076B-5F6C-4617-8AE7-A52BF05DF0C3.jpeg
C550BF7A-F96F-4093-AACD-6AFBE85B2EC7.jpeg

Indy Lonnie

I’m done for the day. Along with the cracked knuckle, I just tried to pull off the coil over and I burgered up the treads. It went on fine, didn’t need the 5mm wrench to run the nut down. I think the spacer got in there and somehow messed things up when I tried to back it out. It took everything I had to get the nut off. I think there is enough threads I can clean it up with a die. I had to order the die and new nuts along with the knuckle today. I took the day off so I could get some things done... my luck.
0F714FBE-CD02-48DA-B2FB-08984A791B65.jpeg
F986EF21-6884-4E51-8C0E-F81DADAF639A.jpeg
E6BFD23A-9ADD-4FDF-9203-D1781C11A13B.jpeg
E13C567D-70EE-45FB-9296-84976D50B258.jpeg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I am installing my rear BC Racing coilovers and need to know where to set the height of the strut in the body. I installed them in the car as received, and the control arm looks past horizontal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I had a setback and will have a week or so before I can get back to the installation. The knuckle cracked when torquing the tie rod end. $140... and down a week. I guess I needed a rest.
Here is a link to my measurements. Keep in mind, your's will vary when done. But it will get you a start. Scroll down the post.

http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/coilover-options.764/post-12964

Indy Lonnie

Thanks! That is exactly what I need. I see the stock cobalt rear suspension travel is 3.5”. I see yours is at 4”. Does the above bump-stop spacer take that up or am misunderstanding what it is.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Thanks! That is exactly what I need. I see the stock cobalt rear suspension travel is 3.5”. I see yours is at 4”. Does the above bump-stop spacer take that up or am misunderstanding what it is.
Yeah, I purchased the bump stops but didn't like the look of them and I don't really plan on off roading the car to the point of finding full compression of the rear suspension. Maybe I'm an idiot and should consider putting them in. The bump stops are there just to soften the blow when you fully compress the suspension instead of just hammering the end of the shock and possibly destroy them.