Rear Wings

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
This^^^

My idea for printing is to print it in ~10" sections using a carbon fiber media. Then print a "sleeve" in 10" sections to slide over it, offset the joints, and glue it all together. Then wrap it in carbon fiber to make it look pretty. I am hoping that it'll turn out decently light but strong.

I have a 69" wide NRG spoiler that I thought about making it fit on the Goblin. The mounting points are just a touch wider than 32".
How does NRG mount their brackets to the wings?

IDRVSLO

Goblin Guru
You could always move that mount and plug the holes. I am looking for an option from two companies, one that is aluminum with welded mounts that would be set for the correct distance for us. The second option is either FRP or CF that would send out the mounts not on the wings, basically a blank slate, you then rivet them to the wing.

I will post what I find.

Dre

This^^^

My idea for printing is to print it in ~10" sections using a carbon fiber media. Then print a "sleeve" in 10" sections to slide over it, offset the joints, and glue it all together. Then wrap it in carbon fiber to make it look pretty. I am hoping that it'll turn out decently light but strong.

I have a 69" wide NRG spoiler that I thought about making it fit on the Goblin. The mounting points are just a touch wider than 32".
You plan to print with carbon fiber?

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
He mentions "carbon fiber media" which on its own is self explanatory, BUT how you would get any sort of fiber orientation is beyond me. Kinda like "powdered fiberglass" (NO such thing...lol)

Dre

Yea... i was making sure. I hear that stuff is expensive to work with and very abrasive to the 3d printer and you will be changing the hotend often.

SliderR1

Keep us posted Tinkles. I've never printed that large of a multi-segment piece, so I'm interested to see how that goes for you. Does the material you are proposing to use have decent UV resistance too?

Tinkles

He mentions "carbon fiber media" which on its own is self explanatory, BUT how you would get any sort of fiber orientation is beyond me. Kinda like "powdered fiberglass" (NO such thing...lol)
Here is a link to the filament I got for it and also got better nozzles. Only 20% of it is carbon fiber, the other 80% is PLA/whatever the stuff is.
https://www.amazon.com/Gizmo-Dorks-1-75mm-Filament-Printers/dp/B01FEC9YPK/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544760443&sr=8-12-spons&keywords=carbon+fiber+3d+printer&psc=1

It wont have the typical weave of the aesthetic carbon fiber that everyone is used to seeing. It'll just look black.

BTW, milled carbon fiber, close enough to "powdered". It is normally used to thicken up resin.

https://compositeenvisions.com/milled-carbon-fiber-carbiso-mf80-2224.html?zenid=bc825b600862e1106dbefc2b3faf2d81

Keep us posted Tinkles. I've never printed that large of a multi-segment piece, so I'm interested to see how that goes for you. Does the material you are proposing to use have decent UV resistance too?
The UV resistance of the printer filament should not matter since I will be wrapping the whole thing in the blue camo carbon fiber that I have. I will be using a UV resistant resin on the blue camo carbon fiber and I will have it clear coated with a good quality automotive clear coat.