Redlines - 2008 SS TC Goblin build in Mississippi

redline

Hello all,

Thank you to everyone who has helped me get to this point. I figured I should move from the general talks to an actual build thread now that I have a donor and I hope to purchase the kit today if I can get 1 or 2 questions answered.

I have decided to do a completely stock build to get going and then upgrade/play later so I have a comparison. I will daily drive this when weather is good but my son and I also love to autocross. Mostly SCCA but we do have a few big tracks near by.

My questions to get moving forward are, what is the handling difference between the short frame and the longer wheelbase of the stretched? I figure that the shorter wheel base should turn a little tighter and I am only 5'10" so height is not an issue, but if there were performance reasons to go longer I would buy the longer frame and just have more room???

Anyone have or seen the door option? I am thinking solid for strength but if someone has some experience with the door options I would love to hear about it.

Lastly, I am struggling with weather to buy the city or track. the city looks better but it seems the track is safer. I also think I could fix a removable roof and full windshield to the track version??

Thank you.

DanPerryy

I have the track, extended, easy entry option - just two lower bars. I did mine this way because I am old ant the roll bar allowed me to pull myself out of the seat and the easy entry made it so I did not have to contort (which my body doe no more). If I were younger, and only carried a younger passenger, I would have not got the easy entry.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
I went with track option to easily add a canvas roof for shade and to add a rear view mirror if I want. Also went with safety over looks, because the city does look better.

redline

Its Official! the Track is on order. I went with the short version and the solid doors. Thank you guys for your input.

redline

Lets talk about seats, can bigger people fit in the seats that you can order off the site? I have the recaros out of my redline which I love and fit bigger people well, might be better to go with those?? anyone have a width on the seats they sell?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Congratulations on the order. The seats that you can order offline are pretty snug I wear a waist size 34 and they were snuggling me but they can come in wider sizes. There is a list at the top of the general thread that has what seats people have ordered as well as some other information. There says are on corbeaus web site. If you decide that you do not want the track you can always have them change it they are very flexible and until it starts production you can add or change things.

I believe it was wise to go with the stock configuration first. Good luck

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I also have a 34" waist. While the stock Corbeau FX1 Pros aren't tight, I can definitely feel the side of the seats around my hip area. The shoulder area is the same way. I hope that contact doesn't begin to wear on me after an extended drive.

Anybody with a > 34" waist would probably be wise to invest in a wider seat; however, the wider seats can be trickier to install and might have clearance issues with things such as the shifter depending on fore/aft placement.

redline

Well I just heard from Copart and my donor will show up Tuesday of next week. Does anyone have a write-up on what the differences are on the harness when doing a turbo setup? I have been reading up on other builds but I have not found a good list of items that vary from the videos on the harness build.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I have not seen any additional instructions. The video on the harness is really the basic harness and gives you the basic idea. But, you just have to go based on what they have and remove any of the additional items. So, if you have heated seats (and you're not using them) remove them. The process of connecting everything up is still the same and a lot of the colors themselves will be the same. I recommend you taking your time connecting the dash harness to the main harness (towards the end) that is really the toughest part of the harness. Get a continuity tester and go wire by wire (when not completely obvious). It takes a while to do, but its not terrible.

redline

ok, so even though there might be a few extra connectors due to the turbo system the measurements (when extending the harness to specific lengths) should all stay the same basically?

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Yes, But. most people including myself have not completely taped it up until test firing the engine. Tracking down the wires and fitting to size will be a lot easier if something is not perfect.

dperkins

PM me if you want pictures of all the connectors I have on my main harness. Lonny did mine so I know it's all pretty much perfect.

redline

now I have to hurry and get my sons engine in his car this weekend so I can start on the tear-down.