Registering in NC

Batlwagn

Well I'll save you all the additional expletives but after about 40 minutes and $841.00!!!! I am 100% NC legal. The most expensive "cheap toy" ever

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Well I'll save you all the additional expletives but after about 40 minutes and $841.00!!!! I am 100% NC legal. The most expensive "cheap toy" ever
So did you get hit with the highway use tax or was it something else?

Wes

Sounds like you got off easy! When the chick said that will be 15 hundred and change I almost **** myself. If I hadn't just got paid the day before I wouldn't have been able to do it without the ol credit card. I paid 3 percent of the 38k bond amount which was around 1100 bucks for the "highway tax". Still kills me every time I think about it.

And then there's ncgoblin with his Johnston county hookup... Jerk! Nice guy tho :)

What county are you in?

Batlwagn

Yeah, I had the appraisal guy make me an appraisal for 20k so I didn't get wacked that bad my bond was for 30,750. I'm in Lincoln county just north west of Charlotte. I just think its nonsense because I had the title from the original owner and bill of sale. It wasn't as though I lost the title or had a stolen vehicle

Wes

Yeah, your situation should have been different since it was more of transfer than a new build.

It's all worth it though when you aren't driving dirty but it feels like it! Had a couple of cops check me out; just to say nice car, or was it to run the plate? Yeah nice car, code 4 lol.

baustin

Ran across this info from the DMV website while reviewing what I'll need to do in a couple months.

NC DMV has a specific document outlining the registration process, MVR-55a (https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Documents/MVR-55A.pdf).
Other pdfs are available from this DMV webpage: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Pages/registration.aspx
For others reference this is the vehicle inspections guidance: https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/DMV/DMV Documents/Safety and Emissions Inspection Regulations Manual.pdf

Here's what that MVR-55a document says is required:
1. A report of inspection by an Inspector with the License and Theft Bureau.​
2. Application for title (Form MVR-1) completed in full and signed before a notary.​
3. MVR-55-Notarized statement explaining how the vehicle was acquired and why valid evidence of ownership cannot be furnished, accompanied by evidence of ownership in the applicant’s possession. Note: If the vehicle was constructed prior to the purchase, please notate this information on the form.​
4. Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, Bill of Sale) must be included. If no proof of ownership is available, an Indemnity Bond written by an insurance company licensed to write Surety Bonds in North Carolina. The bond must be for one and one-half (1½) times the fair market value of the vehicle. Two appraisals on dealer letterhead must be submitted. The value is based off of the higher of the two appraisals.​
5. If customer has to title vehicle by Indemnity Bond, a MVR-92A (Requirements/Instructions for Obtaining Title by Filing an Indemnity Bond) is needed and a MVR-92H (Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Indemnity Bond) will need to be completed by the customer.​
6. All custom built vehicles are branded RECONSTRUCTED.​
7. Title Fee and Highway Use Tax is due at time of titling vehicle.​

MVR-55a doesn't cover yearly inspection requirements, just to get titled. Based on #4, a bond should only be required if you can't show the engine/transmission title/bill of sale and the MCO/bill of sale for the goblin kit. #7 includes the highway use tax, which is 3% of value, so I plan to provide the same 2 documents showing the sale values of the donor and the kit car.

A couple things from the inspection guidance doc:
  • if you have a windshield, you have you have wipers (technically any cop can care about this during the year but this is really only checked during yearly inspections), not sure if the windshield for the goblin would be overlooked and not considered a windshield by an inspector
  • it doesn't say emergency brakes are required but it does reference G.S. 20-124 and that document refers to having 2 independent methods
    • Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle, and shall have all originally equipped brakes in good working order, including two separate means of applying the brakes. If these two separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Ran across this info from the DMV website while reviewing what I'll need to do in a couple months.

NC DMV has a specific document outlining the registration process, MVR-55a (https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Documents/MVR-55A.pdf).
Other pdfs are available from this DMV webpage: https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/downloads/Pages/registration.aspx
For others reference this is the vehicle inspections guidance: https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/DMV/DMV Documents/Safety and Emissions Inspection Regulations Manual.pdf

Here's what that MVR-55a document says is required:
1. A report of inspection by an Inspector with the License and Theft Bureau.​
2. Application for title (Form MVR-1) completed in full and signed before a notary.​
3. MVR-55-Notarized statement explaining how the vehicle was acquired and why valid evidence of ownership cannot be furnished, accompanied by evidence of ownership in the applicant’s possession. Note: If the vehicle was constructed prior to the purchase, please notate this information on the form.​
4. Proof of ownership (Title, MCO, Bill of Sale) must be included. If no proof of ownership is available, an Indemnity Bond written by an insurance company licensed to write Surety Bonds in North Carolina. The bond must be for one and one-half (1½) times the fair market value of the vehicle. Two appraisals on dealer letterhead must be submitted. The value is based off of the higher of the two appraisals.​
5. If customer has to title vehicle by Indemnity Bond, a MVR-92A (Requirements/Instructions for Obtaining Title by Filing an Indemnity Bond) is needed and a MVR-92H (Affidavit of Facts to Accompany Indemnity Bond) will need to be completed by the customer.​
6. All custom built vehicles are branded RECONSTRUCTED.​
7. Title Fee and Highway Use Tax is due at time of titling vehicle.​

MVR-55a doesn't cover yearly inspection requirements, just to get titled. Based on #4, a bond should only be required if you can't show the engine/transmission title/bill of sale and the MCO/bill of sale for the goblin kit. #7 includes the highway use tax, which is 3% of value, so I plan to provide the same 2 documents showing the sale values of the donor and the kit car.

A couple things from the inspection guidance doc:
  • if you have a windshield, you have you have wipers (technically any cop can care about this during the year but this is really only checked during yearly inspections), not sure if the windshield for the goblin would be overlooked and not considered a windshield by an inspector
  • it doesn't say emergency brakes are required but it does reference G.S. 20-124 and that document refers to having 2 independent methods
    • Every motor vehicle when operated on a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle, and shall have all originally equipped brakes in good working order, including two separate means of applying the brakes. If these two separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way, they shall be so constructed that failure of any one part of the operating mechanism shall not leave the motor vehicle without brakes.
The inspector that reviewed my car did point out when my windshield is installed it will require manual wipers.

e-brake was not a concern.

They were most concerned with the dash lights, headlights, and turn signal.

They had a tough time finding the engine serial.

baustin

The inspector that reviewed my car did point out when my windshield is installed it will require manual wipers.

e-brake was not a concern.

They were most concerned with the dash lights, headlights, and turn signal.

They had a tough time finding the engine serial.
Which location did you get it inspected? I work in Wendell anyways but if it was the one that came to your house then that may be hit or miss. I'm hesitant since the small shop I get inspections done doesn't think they'd be able to pass it due to the handbrake (just had my truck inspected last week and was talking about the goblin), but the wording in the actual inspection document doesn't say they're required.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Which location did you get it inspected? I work in Wendell anyways but if it was the one that came to your house then that may be hit or miss. I'm hesitant since the small shop I get inspections done doesn't think they'd be able to pass it due to the handbrake (just had my truck inspected last week and was talking about the goblin), but the wording in the actual inspection document doesn't say they're required.
Johnston County and the initial inspection I do not think I had an option to bring it to a shop.

rdesimone

The wording of the regulation regarding brakes seems to suggest that a dual circuit braking system would satisfy the requirement. Note that the regulation states “If these two separate means of applying the brakes are connected in any way...”. Sounds like a dual circuit master cylinder, which connects two separate braking circuits does exactly that. No?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Gents, a cautionary tale of the **** sandwich I'm getting started into.

I purchased my running/driving/legal donor from an individual and never titled / registered it as I was tearing it down. I just had an inspector out and he basically said I can't move forward without titling my donor first - he spared writing me a misdemenor citation given the situation. Fees include late fees + 3% for HUT based on Bill of Sale value = ~$200 and dealing with the DMV.

I don't know how guys are able to junk their cars and give up their title and still move forward with these builds. It would save a couple hundred but the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze.

Batlwagn

Gents, a cautionary tale of the **** sandwich I'm getting started into.

I purchased my running/driving/legal donor from an individual and never titled / registered it as I was tearing it down. I just had an inspector out and he basically said I can't move forward without titling my donor first - he spared writing me a misdemenor citation given the situation. Fees include late fees + 3% for HUT based on Bill of Sale value = ~$200 and dealing with the DMV.

I don't know how guys are able to junk their cars and give up their title and still move forward with these builds. It would save a couple hundred but the juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze.

Just wait until they make you get a surety bond to title it, then appraisal fees, inspector ass ache etc. NC seems to over complicate this process for some reason

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Yuck! In Missouri, I just junk titled my car for $2.50 so I didn't have to pay taxes on it. But I did make the mistake of handing over the title when I sent the car to a salvage yard. But my bill of sale for that car was able to take place of the title.

Reactions: Dre

baustin

Just circling back here, I did finally receive my title from the state, only an 11+ month wait after filing paperwork (slow office plus slowdowns from this year). I followed the info I posted previously here.

Didn't need a bond, the title for the donor was still a South Carolina salvage one, never in my name. Title went to DMV, the scrap yard didn't take it.
License and theft bureau did put VIN stickers on my frame (1 beside the DF Kit Car riveted plate, one by my left ankle on a bar out of sight).
I do now have a wiper and handbrake, inspection was super simple and emissions were not required (I'm in an emissions county).

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
Is a title for the donor required in NC? I have an opportunity to purchase all the parts I need from a rebuilder I know but would never actually get a complete donor or title.

baustin

Is a title for the donor required in NC? I have an opportunity to purchase all the parts I need from a rebuilder I know but would never actually get a complete donor or title.
The way the state requirements are written, the donor title isn't strictly required but it makes proof of ownership of the donor parts the easiest. You might be able to show proof of ownership from bills of sale for the donor parts but otherwise they may require getting an indemnity bond and appraisals (this would be of the finished goblin). The MCO and bill of sale of the kit parts covers the ownership of those parts.