Registering in NC

Wes

Ok so I finally got plates today and :) but in a Shawshank redemption kinda way..

DMV inspector came to my house a few weeks ago and "inspected" the Goblin. Didn't really ask too many questions; he was impressed that it had turn signals... Said I needed to provide an MVR-92H and a MVR-55, get them notarized, and within a couple of days, I had an official report of examination and two NCS #'s attached to the frame.

Up until this point, I couldn't believe how easy it was...

Then he said I would need two appraisal letters, and an indemnity bond based on 150% of that value. I tried to argue that under NC GS 20-53, I had met criteria for proof of ownership for donor, kit, and all other parts but he was like nope. Ok no big deal, I guess. NC Auto Appraisers does valuations on these types of kits and gave me 2 for $450 bucks (based on a partner company for the second) and the bond was around 600 bucks based on the almost $26k appraisal. There goes that supercharger setup I was about to go get from craigslist guy :-(

Insurance was another hurdle. USAA wouldn't do it and their Progressive partner said no. I tried a bunch of specialty places, Haggerty etc to no avail and I finally got a policy through Liberty mutual which was actually cheaper than before with just the 2 cars once I combined mine and wifes policy with this one. Full coverage, 250 deductible for all. So ++++! When I called and cancelled policy with USAA, they were all butt hurt and suddenly they could insure a kit car. Too late! Plus rates have been on the rise with them and I haven't gotten a rebate check since I got out in 2003, stupid NC laws..

So today, I went to dmv office. I had all of the correct paperwork, minus one hiccup with my legal name on bond. Got a rider for that and bam! Had to shell out a little over 1500 more dollars to get a plate. Highway use tax they call it, and is based on 3% of the bond value, $38k, as well as the usual property tax and fees on top of that. Needless to say, the engine upgrades are going to have to wait beyond next winter, maybe. And I am having trouble sitting down at this point...

Luckily, my wife is totally into this thing(can't afford divorce lawyer now anyways) and can't wait to take it out on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went for a (finally legal)drive this afternoon/evening and was freaking awesome!

In the end, was around $2500 in bureaucratic BS but it will be worth it. Like the lady at DMV said today, "you gotta pay to play". Just ouch tho...

Last edited:

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
Ok so I finally got plates today and :) but in a Shawshank redemption kinda way..

DMV inspector came to my house a few weeks ago and "inspected" the Goblin. Didn't really ask too many questions; he was impressed that it had turn signals... Said I needed to provide an MVR-92H and a MVR-55, get them notarized, and within a couple of days, I had an official report of examination and two NCS #'s attached to the frame.

Up until this point, I couldn't believe how easy it was...

Then he said I would need two appraisal letters, and an indemnity bond based on 150% of that value. I tried to argue that under NC GS 20-53, I had met criteria for proof of ownership for donor, kit, and all other parts but he was like nope. Ok no big deal, I guess. NC Auto Appraisers does valuations on these types of kits and gave me 2 for $450 bucks (based on a partner company for the second) and the bond was around 600 bucks based on the almost $26k appraisal. There goes that supercharger setup I was about to go get from craigslist guy :-(

Insurance was another hurdle. USAA wouldn't do it and their Progressive partner said no. I tried a bunch of specialty places, Haggerty etc to no avail and I finally got a policy through Liberty mutual which was actually cheaper than before with just the 2 cars once I combined mine and wifes policy with this one. Full coverage, 250 deductible for all. So ++++! When I called and cancelled policy with USAA, they were all butt hurt and suddenly they could insure a kit car. Too late! Plus rates have been on the rise with them and I haven't gotten a rebate check since I got out in 2003, stupid NC laws..

So today, I went to dmv office. I had all of the correct paperwork, minus one hiccup with my legal name on bond. Got a rider for that and bam! Had to shell out a little over 1500 more dollars to get a plate. Highway use tax they call it, and is based on 3% of the bond value, $38k, as well as the usual property tax and fees on top of that. Needless to say, the engine upgrades are going to have to wait beyond next winter, maybe. And I am having trouble sitting down at this point...

Luckily, my wife is totally into this thing(can't afford divorce lawyer now anyways) and can't wait to take it out on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went for a (finally legal)drive this afternoon/evening and was freaking awesome!

In the end, was around $2500 in bureaucratic BS but it will be worth it. Like the lady at DMV said today, "you gotta pay to play". Just ouch tho...
Congrats. I know you've got to be excited.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Wes,

Did you have to keep the donor body or was the salvaged title sufficient for the inspector? I would love to toss my donor body but worried it will cause issues down the road getting it registered.

Dre

Washington State taxes the **** out of everything (except no food or income tax) and I had to repair my motorcycle because of how great the roads are. Ha ha

Wes

Wes,

Did you have to keep the donor body or was the salvaged title sufficient for the inspector? I would love to toss my donor body but worried it will cause issues down the road getting it registered.
I scrapped mine right away, the recycling place I took the body to required me to turn over the title(not in my name) and bill of sale I had as proof of ownership. I kept copies as well as the receipt from the scrap place. I submitted them with the MVR-55 as well as the invoices from Adam to show where I got everything.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
Washington State taxes the **** out of everything (except no food or income tax) and I had to repair my motorcycle because of how great the roads are. Ha ha
I remember reading somewhere that WA has the 2nd highest gas tax and the 7th worst roads.

baustin

You may also want to leave off the windshield until after the inspection some inspectors may request hand operated wipers.
Yeah, I noticed the wiper requirement. Seems like it's easy enough to add the windshield after it's inspected/registered so I'll plan on doing it that way.

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
Yeah, I noticed the wiper requirement. Seems like it's easy enough to add the windshield after it's inspected/registered so I'll plan on doing it that way.
The key items are: blinkers, high beam/low beam, dash lights, seat belts. They will also attempt to lookup the VIN of your engine to the title.

Batlwagn

Hey all, Looks like I'm going to be trading @IDRVSLO my BRZ for his Goblin. I'm in NC as well do you think I'll need all that stuff since his is already tagged and titled in WA?

ncgoblin

Goblin Guru
I'm in Lincoln County
I can't speak for that County but Johnston only required a safety inspection. These are not common cars so it's probably going to be like rolling the dice hope you get a good inspector. My total cost was $450 where Wes in Raleigh was like $2800 which is insane. Honestly I have been auto crossing so much I probably would hold off if it's that costly.

Batlwagn

I can't speak for that County but Johnston only required a safety inspection. These are not common cars so it's probably going to be like rolling the dice hope you get a good inspector. My total cost was $450 where Wes in Raleigh was like $2800 which is insane. Honestly I have been auto crossing so much I probably would hold off if it's that costly.
I was just going to roll the dice. His already has a legit title out of WA and I'll have a notarized bill of sale as well. I was just going to hit the tag office like I'm registering my BMW... "nothing to see here folks, move along now"