Registering in Oklahoma

Dreamer

Has anyone gone through the process for getting one on the road in OK?
Looking to get a donor and start the stripping process. I would assume that a salvage title wouldn't be an issue. Would I be mistaken?

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I also live in OK. Thankfully we have lenient laws regarding assembled vehicles. I've read through the tax code in regards to registrations, and I don't recall seeing anything mentioning salvage titles. Hell, you don't even need a title when applying for a VIN. You can get by with a notarized bill of sale. I signed my title over to the scrap yard when I got rid of the shell.

I had a couple questions about titling my Goblin in Oklahoma, so I called up the OKC office. Specifically, my salvage title and bill of sale are not notarized, so I wanted to make sure that wouldn't be a problem. Anyway, all that is fine... since TX doesn't require notary, OK won't require it.

Then she asked me what kind of vehicle it is and looked it up. There was a long pause and she said "we don't register dune buggies in Oklahoma". Anyway, a long conversation went on after this, and she kept saying no, not for road use. Her supervisor is supposed to call me tomorrow about it, but I imagine there is going to be a major problem based on that initial interaction. I've been digging through the laws to find a leg to stand on besides just saying hey this isn't a dune buggy. She gave me the document number, but of course I can't find it in the statutes. Anyway, this is really going to bust my bubble if they are going to crack down on registration.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
It might help to show them images of Lotus 7s and Caterhams, they are very similar type cars as the Goblin and they would be able to search information that shows they are street cars not dune buggies.

It might help to show them images of Lotus 7s and Caterhams, they are very similar type cars as the Goblin and they would be able to search information that shows they are street cars not dune buggies.
I brought up the the Ariel Atom as an example. I think the main problem is the lady pulled up the website and saw the A/T Goblin. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow when I speak with the supervisor I can better explain what it is and mention the Lotus and Caterham too. The laws and definitions are very vague here, but I did see some verbiage about width and vehicle weight... which the Goblin will be wider and heavier than that definition of a ATV or dune buggy. Hoping I just got someone that was misinformed/having a bad day.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I pointed out the fact that DFKitCar mades an off road kit, and a road kit.
My is the road kit. Two different vehicles.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Oklahoma does not require pictures for an assembled vehicle title application. The best piece of advice I can give you is to mail all your paperwork without pictures to the OTC and go from there. I also included a personal letter explaining what the Goblin is all about. I had no problems whatsoever in getting a title issued. I have had mine on the road legally for almost a year now.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Also, remember that the Motor Vehicle section of the OTC is the only agency that stands between you and getting a title. Whatever you do, don't make them remember you. It's not like you can go to another tag agent like you can in other states if things go badly. That's why I suggested to just mail in your paperwork and go from there. There is no need to deal with them over the phone or in person.

Also, remember that the Motor Vehicle section of the OTC is the only agency that stands between you and getting a title. Whatever you do, don't make them remember you. It's not like you can go to another tag agent like you can in other states if things go badly. That's why I suggested to just mail in your paperwork and go from there. There is no need to deal with them over the phone or in person.
Sound advise. I may miss the call tomorrow and deal with it all when I'm ready to register in a few months.

kalishek

M: Tag agent in Sand Springs, OK gave me business card of local attorney who handles problem titles. In my case purchased 2008 Miata that was insurance write-off in Michigan from guy in Florida who had stripped interior (to get rid of water logged interior from torn convertible top) and converted into track-day car. He sold vehicle with all racy bits and spare 2.5L engine on bill-of-sale. Some times bit of legal muscle is needed to cut thru red tape.
KAL

aaronbuley

I was just denied by Texas DMV (live in Dallas). Going to get started on trying to register in Oklahoma this month. Will keep you all posted on what I find out, leveraging the intel above.

Zoidborg

Were you folks able to get your Oklahoma registrations? I'm in OKC and going to place my order shortly. I have a title for my donor car. Did you send them your actual title or a copy of it? I'm thinking from what I've read they want the original documents. Thanks!

aaronbuley

Hey, sorry, just coming back to this for ya Zoidborg and viperbmw69. I ended up not pursuing a registration in Oklahoma because other life things came up. It's currently out at a ranch, but I'm looking to bring it back to the city and will re-start the registration process soon, but will try again here in Texas first as I've seen more people manage to get it done here after I was denied.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hey, sorry, just coming back to this for ya Zoidborg and viperbmw69. I ended up not pursuing a registration in Oklahoma because other life things came up. It's currently out at a ranch, but I'm looking to bring it back to the city and will re-start the registration process soon, but will try again here in Texas first as I've seen more people manage to get it done here after I was denied.
Aaron, welcome back, we missed you. Drop an update in your build log and let us know who things are. :D

aaronbuley

The update is that it’s currently sitting out at our ranch about an hour away. Going to drive this 97 wrangler I just bought (pic attached) out to the ranch and bring the goblin back home to the city. Plan is to reg it, replace those rubber bushings on the sub frame, finally decide on a wrap for the hood, and get her back out on the road again in the sunshine! :)

Attachments