RichN City Goblin - 2007 LT donor

RichN

Been busy this weekend. Redrilled the front of the steering knuckles and installed the new arms and shorter tie rods. Nose painted and installed. Rear tires with spacers installed, it was easier to buy different lug nuts than install longer studs. Rear fenders installed. Almost finished painting the engine cover. I’ll redo the alignment this week, plan on doing what I did before with string and jackstands. Plan to install the signal cancel cam later today.

BACF367E-3A11-4593-BCC1-3433C0F47A4C.jpeg

AA0B9BD9-FA60-436A-ABE1-D1CDAFC1C75B.jpeg

Edit, picture was taken before putting on the tie rod. Tapered end should be down.

Last edited:

RichN

It was a nice weekend and I was able to take it for a spin.
Still had to slalom around the melting snow on the shoulders of the back roads.
I have all the body panels back on except the engine cover.
Turn cancel cam works; I used to forget sometimes to turn it off before.
The new front knuckle design is great; so smooth up to 55mph, didn't feel floating or loose at all.
I also turned the shocks up 5 clicks so not sure what helped the most.
I'm running 25psi in the tires, I may drop it down in the warmer weather.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
I forget to turn my blinkers off all the time! What did you install for that?
There is a little ring that goes on the steering shaft that the blinker clicky hits and turns off after you turn.
I'll try to take a pic of it tonight.

Nuker-

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
There is a little ring that goes on the steering shaft that the blinker clicky hits and turns off after you turn.
I'll try to take a pic of it tonight.

Nuker-
It's not the clockspring from the donor, is it? Mine got trashed when I removed the steering wheel if I remember correctly.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Okay, this is the perfect time to bring up another question. What is keeping your steering shaft from compressing more and the cancel bracket from rubbing and hitting the three screws? On ours, we can pull the shaft out some and push it in to the screws. Kaleb was worried about it catching on the screws and stopping the steering (which could be a real safety concern), however I don't think it can go in between the screws to hit squarely on one.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I just put the snap ring on. I knew it was on the original shaft but I didn't see the groove for it. I had to tap the shaft back to finally expose it completely. I knew I wasn't going to get by without having to pull the steering wheel hub at least once. Luckily I had a harmonic balancer puller that worked great!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I just put the snap ring on. I knew it was on the original shaft but I didn't see the groove for it. I had to tap the shaft back to finally expose it completely. I knew I wasn't going to get by without having to pull the steering wheel hub at least once. Luckily I had a harmonic balancer puller that worked great!
With the snap ring on there is no movement in my steering shaft. You can yank on it back and forth and there’s not even a thousandths play.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Is this a DF provided item?
Mount it with the tab 180 degrees from the turn signal. If you consider the turn signal to be at 10:00 position, mount the tab (with the steering wheel centered) at 4:00. That way it cancels at the same for both left and right turns. The little piece works really well.

RichN

Ben needs a new transmission and scored another 07 SS. I’m wondering how easy it would be to fit the supercharger on my car? What parts would I need off the donor? What extras would I need to purchase?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You would need the ECM for sure and that would need the matching BCM. Unless you could reflash your original ECM?

RichN

I'm not installing the supercharger; it's fast enough for me to get a speeding ticket soon enough.
I did get the engine cover mounting brackets installed. I'll post a picture next time it's outside.
Question for anyone flat towing an automatic.
Do I need to do anything special?
I know Dan heavily modified his, but is any of that necessary?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Question for anyone flat towing an automatic.
Do I need to do anything special?
I know Dan heavily modified his, but is any of that necessary?
Bad idea to tow an automatic without disconnecting the drive line in some way. Even in neutral, you can overheat the transmission and catch fire. I've seen it happen on the interstate.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
GM says you can flat tow automatic cobalts. You are not suppose to go over 65 mph I think. I would crank it up everytime you stop for gas to let it re-lube everything.

We flat tow our automatic goblin all over the place and it is completely stock. Two times we have flat towed it two trail of the dragon which is an 1800 mile round trip.

We keep the engine idling on those trips because we can be running 80 plus mph for hours at a time and our automatic goblin has short tires so it probably thinks it is running 90.

I don't know if it would hurt anything if we didn't leave it idling but it only uses a few gallons of gas for an 800 mile trip.