RichN City Goblin - 2007 LT donor

Jonathan O'Hara

Frank stopped by today to pick up his parts.
Mounted the wing and 1 caliper today.

View attachment 1696View attachment 1697

For the caliper, even with the pad backed out as much as I could, I had to use 3 washers per bolt to create enough space to fit over the rotor.

View attachment 1698
This picture (and idea with the washers) is brilliant for me. I figured the Wilwood's wouldn't work given our rotor width. How much above the rotor does the spot brake protrude? I'm currently running 15" rims and only have about 1" rotor to rim clearance, so am wondering if I will need to go up to 16" rims to accommodate the Wilwood. That bracket design also looks like something I may be copying. Thanks!

RichN

How much above the rotor does the spot brake protrude? I'm currently running 15" rims and only have about 1" rotor to rim clearance, so am wondering if I will need to go up to 16" rims to accommodate the Wilwood. That bracket design also looks like something I may be copying. Thanks!
I will measure in the morning, Stock 16s cleared it easily. That bracket to mount the spot brake is a stage 3 option.

Jonathan O'Hara

I will measure in the morning, Stock 16s cleared it easily. That bracket to mount the spot brake is a stage 3 option.
Awesome, thanks very much! I ordered the brackets and Adam said they were reworking them, so I'll temporarily have to figure something out myself to pass safety inspection.

RichN

0DF118B2-9A72-47C7-AC21-C167189652FE.jpeg
There is just barely over an inch of space with 17” rims.

Edit: just RE-measured after looking at my post. Measuring at the ends of the caliper, it is over an inch from the rotor and less than an inch from the rim. 15” will not fit.

Last edited:

Jonathan O'Hara

There is just barely over an inch of space with 17” rims.

Edit: just RE-measured after looking at my post. Measuring at the ends of the caliper, it is over an inch from the rotor and less than an inch from the rim. 15” will not fit.
All right, well you've just saved me a decent amount of frustration at buying something that doesn't fit, very much appreciated finding out bad news the easy way. I think you're telling me 16" rims won't even fit, if there's less than an inch from the caliper to a 17" rim, do I understand that right?

SliderR1

Rich - any idea how much force it takes to engage that spot caliper cable? I was thinking of using a linear actuator but not for sure which one to get. Was eyeballing one that claims 45 lb pulling force. Think that would be enough?

RichN

Rich - any idea how much force it takes to engage that spot caliper cable? I was thinking of using a linear actuator but not for sure which one to get. Was eyeballing one that claims 45 lb pulling force. Think that would be enough?
Do you have a way to see how much force the stock handbrake uses? My fishing scale only goes to 10 lbs, and it’s definitely more than that.

BAR-AIR

I guess I could be politically correct. Just not my style.... Basically the guys over at DF and anyone that has installed one of the emergency brakes knows that these are crappy (while the concept was good the functionality stinks). If you are installing the emergency brakes for a DOT requirement you can make these work. I have an automatic transmission and will rarely if ever use it. If you are planning to use your emergency brakes (manual transmissions, actual drifting using emergency brakes). You are going to spend a lot of time and effort to get a marginally functional emergency brake with the kit supplied bracket. In addition there are photos attached of the go cart style spot brakes and there supplied mounting bracket while not as finished as the Wilwood spot brakes seem to function just as well (for a spot brake caliper).
6D8C5380-F16A-4ADA-BCC2-104F9002C81D.jpeg
Picture is terrible but look at the amount of slide surface for the spot caliper.
F658FE48-9510-4F19-92C7-7E09714C7499.jpeg

262A8A02-EE7C-4C0A-AE02-8E28018DD807.jpeg

Attachments

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Am I missing something here, aren't they supposed to be PARKING brakes and not emergency brakes? They are simply designed to prevent the vehicle from rolling when parked. If you are wanting a drift car, you would certainly use a completely different set up.

SliderR1

My intent was for a parking brake only. Instead of having a handle to pull, I was thinking of attaching the cable to a linear actuator and then just having a push button for the parking brake.

I’ll research some more and report back. I know for sure an actuator with 200lb force is good for a dual setup on a standard car. Some guys on the corvetteforum have built their own electronic parking brake systems for their restomod projects on older vettes.

Don’t the drift cars use a hydraulic type system? That is definitely not what I’m looking for.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm sure different states have different rules, but I believe a parking brake and emergency brake are one and the same. It's supposed to be designed to hold the entire weight of the vehicle on any slope and also bring you to a stop in the event of a hydraulic brake failure. It also is required to be a secondary mechanical device. In OK, the emergency brake is supposed to bring you to a complete stop from 20 MPH in a certain distance. Not sure what that distance is.

I suspect that if your state has similar rules, the inspector isn't going to have you throw the e-brake, break out a tape measure and see how many feet it took you to stop. They're probably just going to take a quick look and check it off on their inspection checklist.

RichN

In NH, a parking brake is required, it has to hold the vehicle from moving forward when put in drive. This spot brake does that. There’s no way it’s going to stop the car if the hydraulic brakes fail.

RichN

Brett asked me for a photo of my intake. It’s supplied by DF and attached with a couple of my supplied clamps and bolts with nyloc nuts on the inside.

8061EC99-ADF4-4AFC-9803-B1463744E1D9.jpeg

RichN

Did you have good success with these? Or do they stick out weird/ get in the way?
They don't look weird or stick out.
They are horrible as a wiper, but they meet inspection rules.
They flop on their sides and scratch the plexiglass.
I had to trim almost 2 inches so they wouldn't go over the edge at the top.

RichN

Also, transferred the title and registration to Florida when we went down to our house there.
REALLY easy to do, no issues at all.
Bye bye both bumpers, catalytic converter, wipers, defroster and front plate. Best part is that I don’t need to fix the check engine light.

463F7AFB-652F-44DB-9AC1-EF53D55EE680.jpeg

Last edited: