RichN City Goblin - 2007 LT donor

RichN

Alignment bolts came today. Easy enough to install. I'll bring it back next week for the shop to bring the rear into spec. They gave me 60 days to bring it back.

Since we'll be waiting a bit for the body panels to arrive and try for a NH title again, decided to work on the brake reservoir relocation.
We ( I) ground down one of the spacers, it was too close to the top that I couldn't get the bolt through.

DSCF3128.JPG

My black tubing was only a little hard to put on, I didn't need to use the hot water in a coffee cup to soften.
I brought the lines to a local shop and they put the crimp rings on, just to make me feel safer.

DSCF3132.JPG

Everything installed. Just have to wait 72 hours for the thread lock to cure before filling and bleeding.
I had to re-run one of the brake plugs, just needed to extend it 3 inches.

DSCF3135.JPG

Is the reservoir supposed to be that tilted?

DSCF3134.JPG

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Alignment bolts came today. Easy enough to install. I'll bring it back next week for the shop to bring the rear into spec. They gave me 60 days to bring it back.

Since we'll be waiting a bit for the body panels to arrive and try for a NH title again, decided to work on the brake reservoir relocation.
We ( I) ground down one of the spacers, it was too close to the top that I couldn't get the bolt through.

View attachment 1040

My black tubing was only a little hard to put on, I didn't need to use the hot water in a coffee cup to soften.
I brought the lines to a local shop and they put the crimp rings on, just to make me feel safer.

View attachment 1041

Everything installed. Just have to wait 72 hours for the thread lock to cure before filling and bleeding.
I had to re-run one of the brake plugs, just needed to extend it 3 inches.

View attachment 1042

Is the reservoir supposed to be that tilted?

View attachment 1039
Can you just put the mounting bolts in a different hole in the pedal box to level it? It should be higher than the elbows on the master/booster for bleeding purposes I would think.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
From memory it should be in the upper two holes. I will double check tomorrow. The resevoir should be close to level.

RichN

Build video 18 @ 5:52 it says to use the top hole. Might be for the later models. Maybe change the bottom message to say: "Connect the dash grounds to the pedal box. Early donors use the bottom hole"
Also there is no room for the harness between the reservoir, throttle pedal switch, and the pedal assembly. I had to run mine on around the outside of the assembly.
BIG difference using the top 2 holes, looks right.
DSCF3136.JPG

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We didn't have an early model reservoir to test with so thanks for showing us that. We are now going to supply modified spacers that look like this:

early model reservoir spacer.jpg

If anyone needs one of these, send me an email.

RichN

We all took a ride up to bring Frank his parts this afternoon.
Brought ours up for him to take a ride. Drove around his business for a bit when I asked about local police caring if I took it to the street.
He warned me but I ignored it, we went 1/2 mile up the road and turned around on a side street. Wouldn't you know it, here comes a local cop. I waited for him to pass then waited a bit longer before I followed behind.

Frank loved it.
We keep in touch and yesterday he was having trouble mounting the engine. I suggested there might be powder coat in the threads.
Well, I was pretty surprised to see it mounted today. Here are some pics of his progress.
His is a 2007 donor, manual trans. easy entry.

DSCF3137.JPG

DSCF3138.JPG

DSCF3139.JPG

DSCF3140.JPG

DSCF3141.JPG

RichN

Guessing those parts weren't mine. Anyway, I was at the local Chevy dealer Friday and they stock the rear brake cables, I bought 2 for $25.

PHerder

Guessing those parts weren't mine. Anyway, I was at the local Chevy dealer Friday and they stock the rear brake cables, I bought 2 for $25.
Looks like they went to the Vet who's YouTube videos are OffTheRanch who got a, sort of, turn key. I believe he got a new frame but got Lonny's turbo motor/assembly.

IAW his video, he put on new tires/wheels and seats and installed the lights.

RichN

I talked to Frank earlier today. For those who don't know; he is also from NH.
His donor is a 2007 LT automatic. His 2.4 motor, engine harness, ECU and manual tranny came from a 2008 SS.
He has a 2010 LS coupe manual that runs and drives. He uses that for reference occasionally.

He wanted me to toss a few questions out on the forums:
The manual has a couple plugs on the master (or maybe slave) clutch cylinder. He can buy connectors, but where are the wires going? to the BCM?
Also, does he need to worry about the extra wires going to the automatic shifter? Can he just clip them out of the harness?
He has a couple of broken linkages on the shifter, are they easy to fix or just as easy to get a new one from the junk yard?
Are there any major differences between the 2007 and 2008 that would make this impossible to do the harness?
Should he flash the BCM for a 2008?
He reads the forums, so he will see any answers.
Thanks

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Did you just have them align it to a cobalt? If It should not matter if I had an SS donor or will it? I drove up to NTB last night and they looked at me like I brought them an alien spaceship and would not touch it.

Nuker-

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Did you just have them align it to a cobalt? If It should not matter if I had an SS donor or will it? I drove up to NTB last night and they looked at me like I brought them an alien spaceship and would not touch it.

Nuker-
Go to an independent shop. The chains aren't going to be much help because they only go by the book. I went to a little two man shop that's been there for 50 years, it was great.

RichN

Nuker-
Are you referring to the alignment I had in May?
I went to a chain up here in New England. They had no problem doing it to the spec sheet I printed after talking to Lonnie. If you look at the top of the sheet on the right it says modified. It is now a little squirrely above 50mph but I can tweak the toe in until it feels like it did before.

Now for a great update= they are shipping everything out Monday to finish up the car!
I also found an independent repair shop that will change everything I want in the BCM for $100.
He will turn of the 10 minute door delay, set the mileage to 26 (amazing how many miles I've driven in my neighborhood) and turn off all the unnecessary idiot light on the dash.

Hopefully this screenshot is my parts.

Screenshot_2017-08-06-05-54-29.png

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I also found an independent repair shop that will change everything I want in the BCM for $100.
He will turn of the 10 minute door delay, set the mileage to 26 (amazing how many miles I've driven in my neighborhood) and turn off all the unnecessary idiot lights
Please ask if they'd be able to do this for other BCM, I would ship mine there for that...

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
He will turn of the 10 minute door delay, set the mileage to 26 (amazing how many miles I've driven in my neighborhood) and turn off all the unnecessary idiot light on the dash.
I'd be interested in this also.