Roof Rack

Wes

Been thinking about this since before I even ordered the kit. Even more so every time I drive it anywhere with the wife or a friend. How to take a day/overnight trip or do a track day without going solo...

Finally ordered the parts and made it happen this weekend. Looks decent imo and only like 100 bucks in it. It will hold the yeti 20 and a small suitcase or pop up canopy. I can take it off or put it back on in less than a minute if you leave the rear two mounts on the bar.

If anyone is interested I can post more detailed pics and parts required.

Attachments

Wes

Ok so I took some more pics and came up with this description. Basically, bought this from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753GWVDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which was the cheapest I could find it, others sell same thing under different names even without cross bars and mounts but this was the best deal I found.

The width is right, but the length... I took one set of side bars and chopped 16 3/4" off each end making two sets of sides and tossed the piece I cut out of the middle. Added a screw hole to each end that didn't already have one and assembled it using some silicone to keep everything tight. The bottom "slats"; I cut each one down to just shy of 23 3/4", keeping the front piece. It really helps to assemble it as it comes and then mark what to cut off since these pieces where different front to back. I mostly used the hardware that came with it, substituting better parts that I had left over from the donor where I could. Everything got loctite and the little foam washers were installed between all the metal on metal spots.The rear holes of the middle two slats were drilled to fit the carriage bolts that come in the kit.

I also bought these clamps:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18IWWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two of the carriage bolts that came with the rack were mounted through as shown in pics for the rear mounts, I had to enlarge the holes slightly and then pressed them in permanently. The front two carriage bolts go down through the outer two "slats" and they are all held in place with a short piece of heater hose as a spacer/damper and a nut. The extra nuts I found left over from the donor fit perfectly and are self locking type, not sure where they came from on the car.

The way it works out is the front mounts (well half of it anyways) stay mounted to the rack and the rear mounts stay on the car. All you have to do is remove the "cap" piece of the mounts on the front and the two 1/2" nuts on the back two mounts and then lift it off. I did use some silicone to hold the rubber part on the mount so it wouldn't be such a pita every time. The mounts seem almost too small but are supposed to fit 1 1/2" bars, they do work though, maybe powder coat thickness?

Anyway, I sprayed all the pieces flat black and re assembled once I had fit it on the car. Turned out pretty good, it saw 120+ tonight when we were down in mexico and didn't fall apart so I am happy with it. As far as wind noise, didn't notice anything new and the aero drag didn't seem to keep me from spanking this lotus over and over lol. We will see how it does once I get some weight in it...

Attachments

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Looks really nice! I like the fact you can carry something, if you have to. Kind of makes the Goblin utilitarian. :p
With it mounted, how is it getting in and out of car?

Wes

Looks really nice! I like the fact you can carry something, if you have to. Kind of makes the Goblin utilitarian. :p
With it mounted, how is it getting in and out of car?
It really doesn't change much for me. I always kick both feet in and slide across the side rail and down. There is still room to get your fingers around the upper bar for support because of the way I spaced it up a little. It was nice driving it earlier today and having a little shade from the sun!

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I had noticed that spacing between the rack and sides of the halo allowing you to hold on to it. Nice.
Shade from the sun IS a nice side benefit of your roof rack setup.