Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes. The original Cobalt owner had a leaky seal on the half shaft, which left oil up the side of the engine, and I didn't like how the oil looked. So I decided it was cheaper to put an oil filter on it, as an oil change doesn't really get all the oil out.

Ross

Goblin Guru
This transmission had an oil change a few days ago, (using redline MT-90) and this is the color of the filtered oil going back into the transmission.
I wonder if there was some graphite additive at some point in its' life, or if this is normal?

Last edited:

RobC76

Ross,
Where are you pulling and returning the oil. I considered adding a cooler and a filter as well. Have my case split so I was trying to figure out best place to return oil. Love the idea by the way!

Ross

Goblin Guru
I am pulling oil from the drain plug hole.
I bought Banjo Bolt M18x1.5 with 12mm Hose Barb Fittings
as this is the same thread on the drain plug and fill plug.

Gear Oil Pump 12VDC Electric Waster Oil Pump$34.96
Banjo Bolt M18x1.5 12mm Banjo Bolt Hose Barb Fittings13.99
Derale 25708 Remote Filter Mount Kit$22.99
FRAM Extra Guard PH8A Oil Filter$4.48
Barb Fittings 3/8 Inch Barb × 1/2 Inch NPT, Brass Air$7.99
Tax6.3390.74
Later I added the Visual Flow Indicator G1/4 Inch $14.19

Last edited:

RobC76

I saved pic so I could blow it up and I was just going to post that I found it. Thanks for sharing banjo bolt size. Does it just run with key on or do you have a separate switch? Assume the filter housing is lower than the return so that it doesn’t gravity drain back to transmission. Thanks for sharing!

Ross

Goblin Guru
The drain hole line runs horizontally to the gear pump, so that should always be full of oil. After the pump, the pressurized oil flows up to the upside down filter, then to visual flow indicator, then back to the transmission fill hole. So, no the filter housing isn't lower than the return line. It stays filled with oil (as it is upside down), the line out from the filter will drain back, as will the visual flow indicator. I had to refill the transmission, after I turned on the pump, filled the filter and lines. Probably holds an extra quart now... but the oil in the transmission is at the original height.

I plan on tapping into the wire that runs the intercooler pump, and add a new relay. Grab some 12V+ from the starter, run it thru a fuse, then the new relay, then off to the transmission oil pump. The intercooler pump has a 10 second delay from key on, which allows the engine to start before both the electric pumps start up.