Ross's extended city, easy entry Goblin- 06 SS/SC, NW Arkansas

Desert Sasqwatch

Well-Known Member
The Bridgestones are a good choice, have read many good things about them as an autocross tire. Some of the reviews talk about feedback before breaking loose, so chassis set up may be the crux of your rear end breaking free. Obviously, personal preference is very key here, what do you prefer mild understeer or mild oversteer? Seems that mild oversteer is desirable for autocross? :)
 

ccannx

Well-Known Member
Bridgestone RE71R's. Friends of mind that autocross, swear by these tries.
Re71’s are pretty good at giving feedback. There’s a point in the suspension curve that hits positive camber. It’s possible that, ridehight and soft springs are contributing to snap oversteer. A bit of toe-in in the rear may help.
 

DCMoney

Well-Known Member
The Bridgestones are a good choice, have read many good things about them as an autocross tire. Some of the reviews talk about feedback before breaking loose, so chassis set up may be the crux of your rear end breaking free. Obviously, personal preference is very key here, what do you prefer mild understeer or mild oversteer? Seems that mild oversteer is desirable for autocross? :)
Stared doing a bunch of reading on dialing in the suspension and chassis. Appreciate the input. Would prefer mild oversteer.

What cold/tire pressure are you running? Ambient air temp? Surface temp?
20psi all around, temps have been 60-75. No idea on surface temp. Temps are still in the 50s overnight here.

Re71’s are pretty good at giving feedback. There’s a point in the suspension curve that hits positive camber. It’s possible that, ridehight and soft springs are contributing to snap oversteer. A bit of toe-in in the rear may help.
The level of grip is incredible on these tires. Need to dial in my set up.

Thanks everyone for their input. Sorry Ross for cluttering up your thread.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
Hey, this isn't cluttering up my thread. I'm working on suspension with everyone else here too.
Yesterday I turned 90 degrees, and punched it. To my surprise, the back end kicked out a bit. Then I remembered my new suspension changes. Need to get use to the new settings... and keep learning.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
The brake/clutch reservoir suffered from a bent nipple where the clutch line attached,
so I cut it off (red circle) and plugged the hole with 5 minute epoxy,
and then tapped the clutch into the rear brake supply line. (Green circle)
This is a common problem, but I am testing whether this is an acceptible solution. Opinions?
10456
 

JERMzSS

Well-Known Member
Hey, this isn't cluttering up my thread. I'm working on suspension with everyone else here too.
Yesterday I turned 90 degrees, and punched it. To my surprise, the back end kicked out a bit. Then I remembered my new suspension changes. Need to get use to the new settings... and keep learning.
Oh sounds like it's getting there! You running any chamber in the rear?
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
I'm running 0.7 degrees camber in the rear. If I run 1.5 degrees like the specs suggest, it will only plant half the tire on the road.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
I added a vacuum regulator ahead of the brake booster. Now I can use a lot more brake pedal before the tires lockup, and can adjust how much boost I want.
10562
10563

Also updated the engine tune with the new VE tune, MAF tune, and closed loop. Then took the goblin out and tested it.
The engine is a bit better (than just the MAF tune) at throttle control in first gear. This was my primary goal in tuning it. The goblin still can get jerky throttle control, but it is much better than it was with the stock Cobalt tune. The engine is now immediate throttle control. It had a slight hesitation before when I started applying throttle, but that is gone now.
 
Last edited:

RouteAbel

Active Member
The brake/clutch reservoir suffered from a bent nipple where the clutch line attached,
so I cut it off (red circle) and plugged the hole with 5 minute epoxy,
and then tapped the clutch into the rear brake supply line. (Green circle)
This is a common problem, but I am testing whether this is an acceptible solution. Opinions?
View attachment 10456
Thats a great idea. I may have to do the same because I think mine is damaged as well.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
Thats a great idea. I may have to do the same because I think mine is damaged as well.
It has been ~2 weeks since the repair, seems to be working well. After emptying the brake reservoir, I cleaned it with brake cleaner, then scratched it a bit inside the hole with a round file, to give the epoxy something to bite into. I soaked a small wad of paper in epoxy, to plug the hole.
 
Last edited:
I picked up that same vacuum regulator for my build, thanks for the pictures and happy to hear the positive results!

What do you have it set at?
 

DCMoney

Well-Known Member
Not to speak for Ross but when I installed mine I adjusted until no assistance then added some, drove up and down the neighborhood testing the brakes, then adjusting until I liked the feeling and stopping power. I don't have a gauge on mine.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
I don't have a gauge either, but I did what DCMoney did... just drive and test it, adjust it accordingly.
 

Ross

Well-Known Member
It was 44F today, when I test drove the goblin. Yesterday, I removed the seatbelts, and wash them using this video as my guide.
Today, I re-installed the seat belts, and they retract much better now. Also need to add more brake boost.
Only made it a few blocks from my house, before I turned around and headed for home. ;)
 
Top