Run wiring through frame

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Is anyone running any wiring through the frame tubes? Any tips or recommendations?

I have the wires for my light bar zip tied to the frame and it looks pretty crappy so I want to run them inside the frame.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I pulled my right rear lights and third brake light wires all from the left side by the fuse box through the tube where the strut mounts are. I also did my front side marker lights that are in my front bumper. Make sure you use grommets where the wire goes through the frame

askiles

Goblin Guru
I always love pulling the wiring through the frame tubes, but didn't this time. My headlight and taillight wiring were really the only exposed wires, and they really aren't exposed that much. So I just made it look good. You can barely see them. With a light bar though, I could definitely see doing it. It wiring that you will always notice. Drill some strategically placed holes, get some nice rubber grommets, pull fish tape, pull wires, call it done.

Ross

Goblin Guru
To pull wires thru tubes, a vacuum and compressed air can help.
You use a string tied to a cloth or paper wad.
The cloth will follow the air, in and out of holes, pulling the string with it.
Tape off holes that you don't want the air to use (if you have multiple holes, like in a motorcycle frame.)

jamesm

Goblin Guru
The air/vacuum is a pretty neat trick...

Are there any concerns with weakening the structure by drilling holes in the halo or side tubes?

Ross

Goblin Guru
The air/vacuum is a pretty neat trick...

Are there any concerns with weakening the structure by drilling holes in the halo or side tubes?
Which is more concerning, asthetics or subtle weakening?
If you want more safety, anything with airbags and crash testing is better.
Even your frame is safer than mine... who needs a halo or side tubes?
I guess I'm the wrong person to ask, because a Goblin is way safer than my motorcycles.

Last edited:

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't think that a few small holes here and there would matter much but it just feels wrong to drill into the chassis... Oh well... The ziptied wires look horrible so it's gonna happen.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
While I have to agree you probably won’t weaken it all that much I wonder if water getting in and rusting would be an issue.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I drew these up and printed them and they work great! It doesn't hide the wires but looks much better than just zip ties.
Care to share the STL or STEP for that clip?

While I have to agree you probably won’t weaken it all that much I wonder if water getting in and rusting would be an issue.
I'm planning on putting the holes in the halo on the bottom to reduce the likelihood of anything getting in it.

Run the wires then a small dab of silicon to seal the hole... :)
That's a good idea.

bradr

This is the STL for the wire clip. It is for the 1.25" tubes. I can redraw this for anyone wanting it for a different size or it can be scaled.
It actually snaps in place really well.
When I open this STL file in my slicer, it shows up SUPER small (1mm). If others have run into this, what did you scale it up to?