SC / Intake coating?

KLMOTORSPORTS

Anyone paint, anodize, or put other coating on their Supercharger and Intake (or even the whole engine). Just seeing what methods are out there that DFG builders have done...gathering ideas.

My one concern would be heat buildup if any coating applied, but not sure how big of an issue that would really be?

Thanks!!

Ken

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
A couple of us have painted/coated the engine. I used ceramic engine paint from Eastwood (see our first build). Jsix just did his in another paint. I really don’t think heat insulation will be an issue since the engine is exposed. There would be a lot more heat build up with the engine in the donor engine bay than in the Goblin. I’ve seen the SC painted and personally don’t care for it. Maybe because the PO printed them lime green or hot pink. I’m just too old I guess.

KLMOTORSPORTS

A couple of us have painted/coated the engine. I used ceramic engine paint from Eastwood (see our first build). Jsix just did his in another paint. I really don’t think heat insulation will be an issue since the engine is exposed. There would be a lot more heat build up with the engine in the donor engine bay than in the Goblin. I’ve seen the SC painted and personally don’t care for it. Maybe because the PO printed them lime green or hot pink. I’m just too old I guess.
The Eastwood ceramic paint was the one most interested in and would go with the aluminum color...I’m personally with you on the more vibrant colors...not for me when it comes to engines, but personnel pref I guess.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ken

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
When I was looking for a way to surface coat my new turbo housing, so it doesn't turn a nice orange/brown oxide color, I ran across this heat dissipation coating (scroll down in the webpage). It won't work for a turbo housing, but might work well for superchargers, intake manifolds and engine blocks.

lksohm

The most work for me was cleaning off the small layer of oxidation. Is there a better way than using a wire wheel/brush? Some crevices just can't be reached like that.

lksohm

That gives me an idea.
Some of these small gun cleaning brushes should work when chucked into a drill.

BaltimoreHokie

Goblin Guru
I recently posted on the cobalt SS forum about powdercoating the supercharger and valve cover. One downfall with that is you'll have to completely disassemble it. new gaskets etc. but, people have done it.

I was going to go that route but it does seem labor intensive. I may just paint it i just wanted it to be the same as my frame....which is not really a solid color.

The SS/SC does not have a large air intake, it would be easy to powdercoat.