Seats

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I know there is a lot of discussion about seats options, yet I'm still a bit confused. I know the Goblin will accept Cobalt seats using the hook-and-bolt bracket. Then I remember that there are two supported seats from Corbeau that will also work, but not sure about what is required to get them to work. So I did some checking around with Corbeau and they have brackets designed to work with 04+ Cobalts. I asked them via email what seats work with these brackets (E2090 and E2091) and they responded "Almost all of our seats are designed to work with our brackets aside from the Side By Side seats.". So does this mean that almost all of them actually work or just the two supported? I must be missing something.

I'm looking at this particular seat even though it's made for a side by side and it wont directly bolt up to the available brackets. http://corbeau.com/other/utv-seats/sxs-pro.html

I'm trying to gather this information so if any customer brackets are needed to be welded to the frame, that can be done before powder coating.

AleX1/9

DFKitcar offers custom brackets to mount race seats in a fixed position, mounting bolts into the side of the seat (not bottom slider mounts). This mounting is somewhat universal and you can buy corbeaus from DF or find your own that use same style mount...mostly fiberglass or aluminum fixed back seats from all major seat suppliers

The ones you pictured are going to use sliders. Don't buy the cobalt adapters. Buy sliders with the seats and mount them yourself with custom brackets before sending to powdercoat.

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Yep do not buy cobalt adapters they stick out through the bottom of the floor panel, I have a few posts detailing what I did.

Honestly I wouldn't go through the trouble of installing sliders again. I never use them.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Your probably right about the sliders. Maybe it's just best to set the position that I and my son are the most comfortable with and stuck with that. I just can't decide if I want to go with aftermarket seats or stick with the Cobalt seats. The Cobalt seats are ugly but have everything already including the heaters. I could get them reuphostered but that will cost as much as good racing seats. Too many choices!

JSATX

Goblin Guru
While sliders may or may not be worth it...1000% for sure go with dedicated seats. In the grand scheme of the project it really isn't that much money. Seats are everything, they're your connection to what's going on in the entire car, it makes the whole car look much better, etc etc.

AleX1/9

+1 on JSTAX's coment. I would rather have the cheapest of eBay racing seats (and they are CHEAP) than the original cobalt seats any day

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
With the DF brackets, I'm assuming there are still some kind of adjustment holes or slots that will still allow the seat to be moved forward/backward as necessary, right?

Silverback

I originally thought I'd keep the SS seats, but they are really heavy and don't have enough lateral support for the performance envelope of the Goblin.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
You guys have me convinced to get seats. Now I just wish I could try them on for size. I have a 38" waist can't image stuffing my butt in a taco. Plus, a man has to be able to open up to keep the oysters from getting to salty. I laugh at standard car designers that take a crash dummy and place it in the car in the perfect closed-leg seating and go "Oh, that's so perfect and comfortable for you". Meanwhile my knees are banging up against some sharp edge on the door and the center console.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Silverback

With the DF brackets, I'm assuming there are still some kind of adjustment holes or slots that will still allow the seat to be moved forward/backward as necessary, right?
DF's brackets are for fixed side mounting of the seats. That can be an advantage if you want to decline someone's desire to drive your car :rolleyes:

Silverback

...I just wish I could try them on for size. I have a 38" waist can't image stuffing my butt in a taco...
I really want to try out the aluminum Kirksey 4700 series Intermediate Road Racing seats. They're 11 pounds and available in several widths. Plus, they have snap-in cushions that can be removed to dry or clean. The DF brackets will accommodate 16 and 17" seat widths. I had a '83 Caterham 7 which were snug but reassuring at 15" for my 36" waist. The Goblin has several more inches of knee room than the 7.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I probably worded it wrong so I apologize. What I was wondering is if there is any flexibility in how far forward/backward you can put them before fix mounting them. I'm 6'4" so I'm sure I'll need my seat back a little further than the average height Goblin owner. :)

Last edited:

Silverback

The DF brackets are fixed, non-sliding mounts. Subject to seat design and construction, there is some flexibility on fore, aft, height, and reclination of the seats when you attach them to the mounts. The extended chassis is a must-have for the tall driver.

Last edited:

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I really want to try out the aluminum Kirksey 4700 series Intermediate Road Racing seats. They're 11 pounds and available in several widths. Plus, they have snap-in cushions that can be removed to dry or clean. The DF brackets will accommodate 16 and 17" seat widths. I had a '83 Caterham 7 which were snug but reassuring at 15" for my 36" waist. The Goblin has several more inches of knee room than the 7.
I've been back and forth between the Corbeau Forza Sport and the Kirkey 47500. Looks like I'm going for the Kirkeys though, since for some bizarre reason, Amazon is selling the covers for the 47500 for $53.90 instead of the typical $200+

Last edited:

Silverback

What a deal! I tried to order a pair this morning, but the price was back to $213.76 each :(

Last edited:

Andy

I went with some cheap Amazon seats, one of only a few yellow ones I could find and for only 125 a piece they are really supportive, look good and are much lighter and smaller than the cobalt seats. I took the sliders off of the cobalt seats and fitted them to the aftermarket seats with a little work. In the future might upgrade to a aluminum seat for ultimate weight reduction but I am going for looks right now.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I went with some cheap Amazon seats, one of only a few yellow ones I could find and for only 125 a piece they are really supportive, look good and are much lighter and smaller than the cobalt seats. I took the sliders off of the cobalt seats and fitted them to the aftermarket seats with a little work. In the future might upgrade to a aluminum seat for ultimate weight reduction but I am going for looks right now.
No pictures?