Serpentine belt gone with 7k miles!

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Hey guys,

I was leisurely cruising the back roads this saturday, when Boom at 6500rpm loss of power I look back and see pieces of belt flying! I stick it in neutral quick and turn it off. I have about 25% of the belt left very thing piece. I was able to nurse it home 15 miles being very easy.

Has anyone ever went through a belt at 7500 miles? This was a GM stage 2 belt and it is being used with the ZZP adjustable tensioner.

Nuker-

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Make sure everything is in alignment. Especially the A/C compressor. Could it have flexed enough under hard acceleration to come out of alignment? If those groves are not lined up, they will wear quickly.

I also wonder if it was slipping some at high RPM/boost causing it to wear.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Can it be adjusted to a point that its too tight?
I'll double check, I'm using the middle bolt spot that ZZP recommends with the 2.8 pulley.

And yeah I'm going to also check the AC compressor, It is only being held with those 2 bolts. I wish we could source that atom A/C delete pulley mount.

Nuker-

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
That A/C compressor pulley without the third mounting point could be the issue.
My friend had bought a used Procharger supercharger for his Camaro and it was missing the rear, third mounting bracket. The belt would slip big time at higher RPM. Either slipping the belt or throwing it completely. We had looked at his pulley alignment which was fine, but I asked him where the rear mount was. He built the third (rear) mounting point bracket and that alone solved his issue.

Check those mounting ears of the A/C compressor for any cracking.
You might be able to build a bracket that could mount to the back for support.

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Okay, I lied. Totally slipped my mind that I replaced the belt with the ZZP stage 2 belt when I installed the stage 3 zzp kit (so only about 2k miles.....). Apparently those belts are **** from reading the cobalt ss forums.

I'm going to grab one of the stock size ac delco belts and just adjust the zzp adjustable tensioner down 1 hole as they state you can with stock size belt and 2.8" pulley.

Nuker-