Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

George

Goblin Guru
Do not plan to change master cylinder at this time. If it does not work as I want then will change masterm cylinder.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Changed front end settings. Reduced bump steer to almost 0. Reduced caster to 4.0 from 7.0. Thsee adjustments lighted the steering effort, improved frontend ride quality. Car does not dart left and right during rise and fall as before. It did create an issue in the turn. That being a small steering correction mid turn. Tomorrow will reduce Ackerman and see what effect happens.
I am happy with the changes so far.

Brad

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
Changed the Ackerman to almost 0. Car feels better in the turn. No correcton in input needed. Need to play with different toe setting to smooth out the feel when turning from driving straight. No other side effects.
May have to raise rear tire pressure. waiting for my test driver to check it out.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
While I had the bump steer gauge took the opportunity to adjust the rear also. Adjust corner weights and realigned.
Test drove, car is steady over uneven surfaces and bumps and very precise with steering input. The toe does not change when getting in and out of car as before, before had to set the toe with driver in car to get it close. With the removal of bump steering that is not the case. Steering does not self center as well with the reduced caster but is fine for me.
A recap of why the changes were made. Elected not to install power steering when building car, with only 600 pounds on the front end seemed unnecessary. On the rear suspension install ball joint extenders so that the car could be lowered and keep the geometry correct in the rear. Was also able increase the rear roll center height to reduce body roll. Install spherical bearing outer tie rod ends front and rear to make the bump steering adjustable. Hopefully someone that has put some miles on a as designed car will come by and test drive it for comparison.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
The air flow from over the top of the windshield comes back over the engine and dumps hot air at the back of my head.
I blocked of air flow from the radiator to the cockpit, the windshield has been tilted back to about 70 degrees from 90.
Took a windscreen that as been shortened installed it upside down and mounted with three screws. It rained so will have to test tomorrow

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
I have the engine cover but it impedes axcess to the engine. Will install some day with an engine axcess panel.

Brad

George

Goblin Guru
Added a vacuum regulator to the brake booster line, idle was -40kpa adjusted down to -25kpa. Brakes are more manageable, can still lock them up but feels is 100% better. Since it has a vacuum regulator even on hard deceleration the amount of pedal feel does not change. I like this so far.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Received my scratched windscreen cut a 4" deep 6" wide slot. The air hits the mirror (track frame) and dumps in to the passanger area. Going to increase to 6" deep by 8" wide.
On suspension I think the steering shaft u joints are binding. Next time then nose off I will adjust the shaft angle.

Brad

Attachments

JSATX

Goblin Guru
Added a vacuum regulator to the brake booster line, idle was -40kpa adjusted down to -25kpa. Brakes are more manageable, can still lock them up but feels is 100% better. Since it has a vacuum regulator even on hard deceleration the amount of pedal feel does not change. I like this so far.

Brad
Im going to look into this. Is there a model you prefer or just any sort of vac regulator will work?

I wonder if I could turn a small barbed fitting with a small hole in it to do the same thing.

George

Goblin Guru
http://www.smcpneumatics.com/irv-series.html The one I used had 3/8" tube fitting which is the size of the as the brake booster hose that came with the DF kit.
Mine came with a gauge. The regulator does not create a vacuum leak and maintains vacuum even during decelleration.
The bleed off method method will creat a vacuum leak and vacuum will vary a lot as manifold vaccum changes

Brian74

Goblin Guru
brfollow
(Don’t mind me. I’m bookmarking certain posts with my own keyword so I can easily find them all later on by using the search function.)

George

Goblin Guru
For weeks been having coolant loose, with no leak to the ground, did not leak when pressure test seemed worse when cruising a 3000rpm, Pulled the header off have signs of leakage at #3 cylinder at one exhaust valve. Cylinder head is coming off and all other testing on hold.

Brad

RichRich

Does the engine cover stop all of that **** heat?! If so I’ll have to get one.
I have an engine cover but haven't put it on along with the firewall so I will post if it makes much difference. been running without since the beginning

George

Goblin Guru
Well my cylinder head is going to be gone about 2 weeks. So decided to send intake manifold out to have it ported for better air flow. Which should reduce the power need to turn the supercharger leaving more for the crankshaft.

Brad