Shadow Lou Racing, street,track,autocross Goblin

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Changed the Ackerman to almost 0. Car feels better in the turn. No correcton in input needed. Need to play with different toe setting to smooth out the feel when turning from driving straight. No other side effects.
May have to raise rear tire pressure. waiting for my test driver to check it out.

Brad
Setting the ackerman back to zero: is that what the stock spindle arm is or is it something else?
Just wondering, to see if I can just set my caster as yours and be pretty close to your setup.
Sounds like your progressively moving to a nice and predictable handling setup.

Sorry to read about your head leaking coolant. Cracked cooling passage?

George

Goblin Guru
Are you running power steering? if you are it takes 7-8 degrees of caster to make the steering wheel return to center. If you have removed the power steering and made the necessary modification you can lower the caster. To reduce the ackerman you will need a new steering arms and hiem joints to make bumpsteering adjustable. Go to my page #224
and look at the photos.

Brad

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I do have the power steering still.
Thank you, I'll review that post again.
Where did you source the front steering and heim joint components? Speedway?

George

Goblin Guru
The steering arm I made from a 1 1/2" thick bar stock, The outer heims from ROD END SUPPLY, made the adapters for heim to inner tie rod. the bolts a 1/2" grade 8 from the hardware store.

Brad

Balphamore

George that's a nice idea. Curious if it would help as well to taper it too? With a slight angle like the outside edge of the windscreen. Granted you might need to have someone look at where you sit in the car. So you don't take off to much with the taper.

George

Goblin Guru
Since I have the track frame I would want the windscreen to cover the uprights so the most that could be trimmed is about an inch.

Brad

BAR-AIR

B5309C36-7C25-472A-A346-732261647E06.jpeg

By the time your done cutting that windscreen you could just go with a brooklands windscreen setup.

Silverback

View attachment 4497
By the time your done cutting that windscreen you could just go with a brooklands windscreen setup.
'been thinking about Brooklands too. Adjustable and so classic! Would go perfectly with a Lotus Seven style nose and headlamps. Probably have to wear goggles or worse, a full-face helmet to deal with bugs, rocks, tire spray, blown radiator coolant or low-flying birds :eek:

Here's a relevant discussion:
www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/brooklands-screensaeroscreen-advice

Brook_1[1].jpg

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Received my intake manifold back from being ported. The open up the intercooller tube slots to 15mm and radius them, remove the bump for crankcase vent that has been plugged off since the start. As a modification it is not the most power increase for dollar spent. Just inceases air flow. And reduces power needed to make boost.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Thought would have Goblin up and running this weekend but issue have con me up. On the intercooler it came back one lare washer for intercooler tube. GM says it only comes with a new manifold if I do not find one will have to make something.
When installing cylinder head found one exhaust lobe failing,contacted ZZP about warranty they have responder but no word back.

Brad

Attachments

George

Goblin Guru
Since having issues with reassembling engine I worked on rear engine cover. What I have not liked about the covers is it takes tools to remove it. So install nut plates at the front and used threaded knobs to hold in place. front is done still engineering the rear. Cut about 3" off the end of the engine cover at the back to make installation easier. Knobs are maybe a little large but do the job.

Attachments

Last edited:

George

Goblin Guru
Still waiting for my cams so made an air blocker for the top of the radiator. Glued it to the hood. It is designed so that the hood can be removed with the air blocker attached to the hood.

Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

Bretter

Still waiting for my cams so made an air blocker for the top of the radiator. Glued it to the hood. It is designed so that the hood can be removed with the air blocker attached to the hood.
That is almost exactly what we are planning to do with foam! We are debating between 3" and 4" and to have it in 2 places - around the radiator like you show, and the front foot wall (firewall?). One to force the air through the radiator like you and the 2nd one to prevent the hot air from going straight through to the driver/passenger feet area.

What thickness foam did you use?

George

Goblin Guru
ON THE ROAD AGAIN camshafts arrived today. Got it reassemble and drove it home the long way, running very well.
The cut in the windscreen worked well good air flow through the center, a little less engine heat, will install engine cover later this weekend.
With all the changes I have made to the front end adjusted front toe to toe out, works much smoother on turning

Brad

Last edited:

JSATX

Goblin Guru
I feel like I just need to come up there and leave my car with you for a week to get it all sorted out! The more I push it the more it gets unsettled. I never really noticed it early on, I think mostly just from the excitement of the new experience. But now I’m really starting to notice things like bump steer and how much roll I have in the back. I bought stiff lowering springs for the stock struts, if that doesn’t fix it I’ll have to bite the bullet and go with the rear coilovers

George

Goblin Guru
On the front end it requires a different steering arm some heim joint and an adapter for the inner tie rod to the heim.
Then the caster, toe and bump steer have to be adjusted (need a bump steer gauge), The rear is takes a lot more effort. When I get it all done going to try and get The Nuker to test drive it. If you are ever up the way come by and drive it.

Brad