Side panels

jamesm

Goblin Guru
How do the side panels mount? I found one tab that I'm guessing is for the panel but I don't see any pre-drilled holes in the frame anywhere.

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
I believe its U-Drill holes through the side panels into the tubes. Then using rivets to mount. Except the bottom tube. ;)
I read some were experiencing wavyness when riveted.
I thought about using coated clamps with bolts to mount. Adding spacers between the clamp and side panels if needed to keep them relatively flat.

Reactions: Dre

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
There is one hole right where the roll bar meets the horizontal bar, ours lined up with the weld. Don't attempt to drill the weld. I've seen in some photos, the hole should be just in front of the bar and weld. Take your time to line them up. You have to have two people to hold and drill. Start in the center and work you way out from there. Ours didn't come out bad at all. Eventually the flexing of it caused it to pull away from the silicone but it's still there keeping it from rattling. We may bead it again along the lower tube. The upper tube we put extra rivets in.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
Put the side panel roughly in place.
In the front line the two holes with the center of the vertical tube and center the panel up and down between the horizontal tubes.
Use making tape to hold it in place.
The top hole that is closest to the rear will line up a little low on the tube.
Continue taping the panel in place until you are satisfied with the fit and position.
Drill all of the holes located on the panel.
Remove the panel.
Silicone everywhere the panel will lay against the frame.
Reposition the panel and install rivets.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the info. I'm considering using some VHB tape plus rivets as I already had mine powder coated and can't easily add more tabs.

terryjr

I ordered 100 or so brake line tabs and welded them on. Then a little reaming and used 1/4-20 rivet nuts. Lets me have multiple set of panels that are easy to swap

Goblin-SS

So I just put my side panels. Long story short I wanted a bit more to secure the lower part of the panel. And not thinking I drilled rite into the coolant hose in the lower tube. I'm so pissed!!! I have to replace the hose... if you guys could help me out what is the OD of that hose?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So I just put my side panels. Long story short I wanted a bit more to secure the lower part of the panel. And not thinking I drilled rite into the coolant hose in the lower tube. I'm so pissed!!! I have to replace the hose... if you guys could help me out what is the OD of that hose?
I know this doesn't help you the hose size, but if it makes you feel any better I almost did the exact same thing. Luckily I stopped just before I pulled the trigger on the drill. I posted about it in my build thread. It's a natural inclination since you drill into the upper tube, why not do it to the lower tube? I have feeling you and I won't be the last ones either.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I may put some tape or something on the bottom of my panels before I install them, I really don't want to have to pull those hoses out and replace them...

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
The hose is 1" Gates 3270 Safety Stripe heater hose. 1" ID, approximately 1-3/8" OD.

Goblin-SS

So I got the hose pulled out. Used a cum-a-long. To pull it out. But the thing that worries me is the amount of rust on the hose! It was only installed for a 1 1/2 years and never driven in the rain. I'm thinking of pulling the other side hose as well to seal the I.D of the tube.

Attachments

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
How do you plan on sealing the I.D. of the tube? Anything you coat it with will probably add to the difficulty of pulling the hoses back through. Rust is to be expected to some degree since it's raw steel inside there. Also, it might be just a small length of tube on the ends that's actually rusty. Then as you pulled the hoses out, it covered the entire length making it look worse than it might really be. Also, the Tire Wet might have a role in the rust too.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't be surprised if most of that is from the Tire Wet. It was sealed in there during the install. Once it dried up, it's not going to cause more rust. And quite frankly, the rubber hose is sealing the inside of the tube from more moisture.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I wouldn't be surprised if most of that is from the Tire Wet. It was sealed in there during the install. Once it dried up, it's not going to cause more rust. And quite frankly, the rubber hose is sealing the inside of the tube from more moisture.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.
I agree!