Silverback's '10 SS extended track build

Silverback

OK, I've done the deed. 'Got a ride in the Goblin when Lonny & company were headed for the Dragon. A deposit prompted a purchase of a 2010 SS with a wild tune. After a flight and an 800 mile trek home, it sits in my driveway. Stay tuned...

David Miller #33

Last edited:

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome David. It was great that your place was right on the way to the Dragon.

DanPerryy

One ride - even in the lowest stock engine HP car - will cause you to break out the checkbook. Lonny and Adam should put a warning on the cars: "WARNING - Riding in this car can cause relationship problems. Riding is not advised if your companion has any of the following maladies: is terrified of amusement park thrill rides, if they have an extreme attachment to 10,000 dollars, if they think of an automobile merely as something to get you from place to place, if they abhor grease under your finger nails, if they have a separation disorder, etc."

Silverback

I have an extra Caterham Super 7 chassis in the garage. But I figured a Goblin would be an easier and less expensive build than acquiring and fabricating the rest of what I'd need for the 7. Plus, a well-tuned Goblin SS should be considerably quicker than a 7 with their usual powerplants.

SliderR1

David - I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. I think you are the closest person to me (I'm in Johnson City) that is building a Goblin. I travel through Nashville at least a couple times each year. Hopefully the timing will work out and I get a chance to see yours in person sometime.

Silverback

SliderR1 (and anyone else), it'd be great to meet up. Let me know if you're going to be in the Nashville area.

Silverback

Off to the crusher. I guess you could say I "simplified then added lightness" ;)

Cobalt2crusher.jpg

I had no idea how thoroughly the donor must be disassembled to get the required parts. A bit daunting, but videos were a valuable step-by-step guide once I set up an old computer in the garage to view them. BTW, the tow truck driver (background) got dibs on the doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Did they give you anything for your "lightened" Cobalt?
Or did they just take it with no fee charged?
Just curious as I haven't parted with my donor yet.

Silverback

To grease the skids, I said they could have it for free if they picked it up. Other companies wanted a complete list and photos of what they could get. I ignored the few extra dollars I would receive and went with the outfit with the fewest questions and quickest pickup.

Last edited:

Silverback

Any updates Silverback?
Soon. Aircraft style adjustable seat mounts and a fix to do a low profile flow-through on the heater outlet and inlet on the thermostat plumbing to make room for a LNF straight-out O2 housing.

Last edited:

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
Prismatic 'Super Chrome' - it looks similar to satin-polished silver anodized aluminum, sort of like high-end bicycle components.
Did they put a coat of clear as the final coat of powder? In some of your pictures I could see reflections (like chrome) and others I couldn’t, so I couldn’t tell if it was a silver or chrome powder coat. Looks really good!