Silverback's '10 SS extended track build

Balphamore

Curious about the additional tubes that you had added. Did they cause any issues wtih your build? Also how's your build coming along?

Brian74

Goblin Guru
What type of fixtures do they make for mounting racing seats to those aircraft seat rails? or are you going to fabricate something yourself?

Love that color. I was on the fence about that chrome it but I think I’m sold now.

brfollow

Silverback

Curious about the additional tubes that you had added. Did they cause any issues wtih your build? Also how's your build coming along?
The tubes were a one-off experiment by DF at my request. To my untrained eye, it seemed appropriate for the track chassis. They should stiffen the chassis and add some protection in a frontal collision. The only issue I had was the clutch cylinder had a minor interference issue that was resolved by shaving a bit off the clutch hardware. The build has taken a back seat to other projects and a lot of travel. Tires and wheels just came in from Tire Rack and I was able to mock things up to confirm adequate clearances. 143 pounds total for all four corners.

Last edited:

Silverback

What type of fixtures do they make for mounting racing seats to those aircraft seat rails? or are you going to fabricate something yourself?

Love that color. I was on the fence about that chrome it but I think I’m sold now.

brfollow
There were no fixtures for the airline-style L-track seat rails other than the sliding clamp bolt-on hardware. The Kirkey supports were not a good fit for the Kirkey seats or the rails and were cut down. I'd be tempted to fab my own from 0.120 aluminum if I had to do it again. I'd also look for airline seat rails that were not pre-drilled. The rails and hardware came from uscargocontrol.com.

Prismatic Super Chrome won't be confused for real chrome, but several folks have thought the chassis was anodized aluminum. It's two-part: a silver and a clear coat. The subframe heads to the powder coating shop next week for Super Chrome. The raw steel bits will get a satin black coat.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
There were no fixtures for the airline-style L-track seat rails other than the sliding clamp bolt-on hardware. The Kirkey supports were not a good fit for the Kirkey seats or the rails and were cut down. I'd be tempted to fab my own from 0.120 aluminum if I had to do it again. I'd also look for airline seat rails that were not pre-drilled. The rails and hardware came from uscargocontrol.com.

Prismatic Super Chrome won't be confused for real chrome, but several folks have thought the chassis was anodized aluminum. It's two-part: a silver and a clear coat. The subframe heads to the powder coating shop next week for Super Chrome. The raw steel bits will get a satin black coat.
That anodized alumnum appearance is exactly what I’m after. I will be doing 2 different colors on mine, with an accent color on some of the smaller parts so I wanted a silver that would compliment anodized blue.

Balphamore

The tubes were a one-off experiment by DF at my request. To my untrained eye, it seemed appropriate for the track chassis. They should stiffen the chassis and add some protection in a frontal collision. The only issue I had was the clutch cylinder had a minor interference issue that was resolved by shaving a bit off the clutch hardware. The build has taken a back seat to other projects and a lot of travel. Tires and wheels just came in from Tire Rack and I was able to mock things up to confirm adequate clearances. 143 pounds total for all four corners.
Ahhhhh so it was just an expirement. Well when I look at your frame. I admit the additional tubes add a nice flow to the frame. So I think even if you don't end up running the nose. It will still look pretty slick. Hope that all your travels have been great? Have a good one.

Silverback

...Prismatic Super Chrome won't be confused for real chrome, but several folks have thought the chassis was anodized aluminum. It's two-part: a silver and a clear coat. The subframe heads to the powder coating shop next week for Super Chrome...
Just got the subframe back from powder coating. This time around, Prismatic Super Chrome looks a whole lot like chrome. Very reflective, and brighter than the swatch or the frame. Despite the mismatch, I'm glad the entire chassis isn't that bright. :cool: